electirc vs mech

2000VRsex

whats your guys sides on electric vs mech gagues (oil temp, pressure etc etc). I have some mech ones but ive heard that electric are much better (less dangerous since oil cant shoot out into ur cabin, and more accurate) altho I hear if you use steal braied lines youll be fine....lemme kno bc these things have been sitting around for years and wondering if i should sell them or put it on..thanks

You pretty much answered the question for yourself. Even with stainless steel lines any mechanical gauge for fuel, oil, transmission fluid, etc is going to be very dangerous inside the cabin. Not to mention running all those lines into the cabin will prove to be difficult. Just save time and yourself by going electric. About the only mechanical in-cabin gauge I'd suggest would be a boost and/or vacuum gauge, but yeah...

hot fluids should not be in passenger compartments. except for maybe some KY warming lube but that's a whole other story entirely

Mechanical are better as far as readings and reliability for race cars...they do not require electicity to work properly...ie..more reliable in race applications...

Gauges for gauges sake...electical are the easiest...

hot fluids should not be in passenger compartments. except for maybe some KY warming lube but that's a whole other story entirely

agreed lol, and thats wha i figrued but I just heard they are more accurate but gues not...THANKS! btw got oil pressure and temp for sale (dunno)

they do not require electicity to work properly...ie..more reliable in race applications...
i don't understand this. can you explain? don't race cars have electrical systems that are on when the car is on just like a normal car? it sounds like you're trying to say that the gauge will still work without electricity and by doing so it's better in a race application. what am i missing?

race cars do have electrical systems, but are minimal...to reduce weight. smaller battery, smaller alternator, etc....Mechanical gauges are just that "mechanical" they do not use electical currents to display readings or to convert readings...They use pressures and temperatures to directly adjust readings on the gauges, that is why the fluid must be linked directly to the gauge, inside the cabin. They are more reliable under "extreme" conditions of a true race vehicle, but not necessary for most applications. and yes they would still operate even if the electrical system of the race vehicle was to malfunction...

i don't understand this. can you explain? don't race cars have electrical systems that are on when the car is on just like a normal car? it sounds like you're trying to say that the gauge will still work without electricity and by doing so it's better in a race application. what am i missing?

Doesn't everybody have hot fluids inside their cars? Have you capped off your heater core? Hot water could shoot all over the place burning people up. O the horror! Had mechanical oil gauge in my truck for over 20 years pushing 70lbs with plastic tubing without any steel braided anything & guess what....no scarring, no mess, no leaks, no nothing except pressure readout. Be paranoid about everything improperly installed wherever it is! MGP (mech gauge phobia) is overhyped. It's just a preference thing, not a safety or performance thing. Either type is better than none. Pick one.

mechanical gauges will respond much faster, thats why they are on race cars. the only fluid you really DON'T want in the car is fuel. if you want to have a fuel pressure gauge inside the car, you want that to be electric. advantage to electric gauges are they are easier to install into the cabin. both style can be equally reliable.

Doesn't everybody have hot fluids inside their cars? Have you capped off your heater core? Hot water could shoot all over the place burning people up. O the horror! Had mechanical oil gauge in my truck for over 20 years pushing 70lbs with plastic tubing without any steel braided anything & guess what....no scarring, no mess, no leaks, no nothing except pressure readout. Be paranoid about everything improperly installed wherever it is! MGP (mech gauge phobia) is overhyped. It's just a preference thing, not a safety or performance thing. Either type is better than none. Pick one.

Intersting!!
would anyone have a write up on how to install oil pressure gauge, oil temp gauge. both are mechanical. I didnt see it on the how to section. and also what kinda lines did u use if you didnt use steel braided? these came with some weird plastic s***, which i think is kinda ify

Intersting!!
would anyone have a write up on how to install oil pressure gauge, oil temp gauge. both are mechanical. I didnt see it on the how to section. and also what kinda lines did u use if you didnt use steel braided? these came with some weird plastic s***, which i think is kinda ify
20 years of iffy. If that is iffy then many many more things in this world are much more iffy than that seeing as how nothing ever lasts for 20 yrs any more. Not sure about oil temp but my mech water temp just has a sensor that goes in by the thermostat housing & has a solid wire wrapped by another steel wire, kinda like a manual choke cable running to the gauge.

20 years of iffy. If that is iffy then many many more things in this world are much more iffy than that seeing as how nothing ever lasts for 20 yrs any more. Not sure about oil temp but my mech water temp just has a sensor that goes in by the thermostat housing & has a solid wire wrapped by another steel wire, kinda like a manual choke cable running to the gauge.

hmm ill check it out, and haha the plastic s*** that came with mine is like real real cheap looks like if it bends the other way it will snap.

Back