Eaton supercharger...

kableguy

Attachments

• productimage131-full.jpg
    productimage131-full.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 301
OMG beautiful. No, no one on here has that.

That's a much older version of our engines though, it looks like it has the distributor running off the exhaust cam on the front, so that's gotta be like a 626/probe/mx-6 or somethin.

Where did you find that, and did you buy it? I would love to have a roots supercharger kit on my car (with air-water intercooler).. yummmmm

Seriously though...

I wonder whow well that'd fit our engine/engine bay...

How different are the Mx6 2.0L and the Protege 2.0L?

P5inder said:
Seriously though...

I wonder whow well that'd fit our engine/engine bay...

How different are the Mx6 2.0L and the Protege 2.0L?
Not all that different in terms of the basics. ECUs don't swap, they have distributors, no cam position sensor or crank position sensor (or at least not the same kind).

To get that to fit, you'd have to get a custom crank pulley made with the teeth for our crank position sensor, but the intake manifold w/ blower would bolt up. Of course it's missing VICS/VTCS, but as long as you leave the solenoids plugged in the ECU won't freak out. I dunno if it's missing any sensors or anything we need or if our throttle bodies would bolt right up to it.. Since they bolt right up to the 626 manifold I'd imagine they would to this. Engine management would have to be pretty custom I'd imagine. Toss a haltech on for fuel/timing control and you'd be set, then mount a wideband in a bung on like your midpipe to monitor things, make sure the pulley on the SC gives you low enough boost, and it would be a nice setup definitely :)

You'd probably have to lose the stock strut tower brace, but I bet you could still fit a custom one (hopefully). I think you'd definitely lose the cruise control though just because of where the unit is located (right where that SCs pulley sits)

Kansei said:
Not all that different in terms of the basics. ECUs don't swap, they have distributors, no cam position sensor or crank position sensor (or at least not the same kind).

To get that to fit, you'd have to get a custom crank pulley made with the teeth for our crank position sensor, but the intake manifold w/ blower would bolt up. Of course it's missing VICS/VTCS, but as long as you leave the solenoids plugged in the ECU won't freak out. I dunno if it's missing any sensors or anything we need or if our throttle bodies would bolt right up to it.. Since they bolt right up to the 626 manifold I'd imagine they would to this. Engine management would have to be pretty custom I'd imagine. Toss a haltech on for fuel/timing control and you'd be set, then mount a wideband in a bung on like your midpipe to monitor things, make sure the pulley on the SC gives you low enough boost, and it would be a nice setup definitely :)

You'd probably have to lose the stock strut tower brace, but I bet you could still fit a custom one (hopefully). I think you'd definitely lose the cruise control though just because of where the unit is located (right where that SCs pulley sits)

Just like with a turbo...it'd still end up beign about $5000.00 all in...

Worth it, I think...

Kansei said:
OMG beautiful. No, no one on here has that.

That's a much older version of our engines though, it looks like it has the distributor running off the exhaust cam on the front, so that's gotta be like a 626/probe/mx-6 or somethin.

Where did you find that, and did you buy it? I would love to have a roots supercharger kit on my car (with air-water intercooler).. yummmmm

just looked up supercharger for protege or something to that effect in google, no i didnt buy one but i was thinking about it.... good idea/bad idea???

Good idea imo. You could probably run a slightly different map of unichip fairly easily. And you could stick on an obx header too. that would make some decent gains on the engine and it would fly off the line.

P5inder said:
Just like with a turbo...it'd still end up beign about $5000.00 all in...

Worth it, I think...

No, I think it would easily be a couple thousand less than that. Superchargers are so much simpler! The one in that pic would add no additional air piping to deal with, you could use your current intake with it... no oil lines to run, no coolant lines to run (except for the air-water intercooler, but no modding of the stock lines needed)..

A supercharger install can be done alone in an afternoon, easily.

My supercharger is really simple.... and roots type blowers are usually
maintenance free.

thanks for the info now i really wanna do this!!! i would if i had the cash anyone wanna help a brother out?!?!? anyone here have this bolted up to there "sewing machine"?

You would be the only one on this continent that I am aware of with a roots supercharger.

A guy who was on these forums years back made a centrifugal supercharger kit and was planning on selling it. At I believe 4 or 5psi he was at 160whp without any intercooler. The position of the supercharger dictated removing the power steering and air conditioning though.

Yeah go for the roots blower. I wonder if you can get it intercooled. That way you can get a smaller blower pulley and bigger crank pulley make a crap load of boost and Zoom Zoom and hopefully not Boom lol.

Check on the Mazda 626 and Ford Probe forums they both seem to love supercharging their FSDE's as oppouse to turbo (most of the time). They should have a wealth of information.

Kansei said:
no, you'd still boom. :p low boost ftw :)

maybe a touch of alcohol injection to cool things down and increase the boost. It works for turbos, so why not SC?

^^^ alky does work it's what all the tiburon guys use to cool things down when they supercharge over 300 whp.

Yeah but it isn't cooling things down that is the issue in the Protege.. you'd have trouble long before 300whp with the rods so that's a no go. Keep it under 200 or you know.. a bit higher if you are confident in your tune (have a standalone) and you're golden :D

I can only imagine that punch down low though :). If you've got guts why not consider the v6 swap?

It really is a bummer there aren't any supercharger options for the P5, I'd much rather have one. Oh well, turbo will work :D

Back