E-Manage powered Mazdaspeed!

perfworks said:
Tuning requires alot more than just a strap on the dyno and a WOT pull.
More importantly is knowing what the value means when we input it into each "box".
Some "tuners" dont know what they are actually doing to the car while adjusting parameters. They just add or subract till they think it "feels" good.
But this is the case all over. It is very hard to find someone who truely knows what they are doing. Understanding actual events and interpreting sensor function is key.
It would be nice to see a tuning section here on this forum so we can evaluate actual vendor dyno pulls.
Before and after would be ideal.
That way we all can compare products and modifications a little more accurately.

This all sound great to me. When do we start?

Thanks again

Later......Nick

MPNick said:
This all sound great to me. When do we start?

Thanks again

Later......Nick
Well until the MODS make a section you are more than welcome to post your MSP dyno pulls under the dyno thread of your choice.
We will invite all the vendors of this forum to take part. If you wish i could start the thread and you can gather your info.

Igdrasil you are using a greddy narrow band display? That isnt going to show the injectors or MAF maxed. You need to have voltage input from the actual sensor for that. If your MAF was maxed out then you would shut down. Injector duty cycle wont get that high from an FMU. If anything it will decrease.

SpicyMchaggis said:
so would the e-manage system be worthwile looking into if I'm going with a turbo system that already has a wideband?
If someone qualified tuned your vehicle then it SHOULD work UP TO a certain point without any problems.

igdrasil said:
(yes)

car runs richer...all the time.
I can understand it running richer. It will happen anytime you disconnect either the CTS, AIS and O2. You are physically not allowing the ecu to get its' continuity check done from the circuit. That will not allow closed loop operation. You are then relying on preprogrammed maps from the MAF and rpm (CAS)

the problem is I tried disconecting other stuff:

MAF (dont even try this, car will not work at all)
O2 (bad cold idle)
Air Temp (already explained)
Water temp (ridiculously rich if disconnected, but can be controlled with a voltimeter, just like a MBC)

igdrasil said:
the problem is I tried disconecting other stuff:

MAF (dont even try this, car will not work at all)
O2 (bad cold idle)
Air Temp (already explained)
Water temp (ridiculously rich if disconnected, but can be controlled with a voltimeter, just like a MBC)
YUP, My thinking is to get it to work "properly" without having to do all of this.
You should be able to tune optimally with fuel and ignition for the specific application.
This is why we chose a plug and play EMS that takes over the entire fuel and ignition curve

Im now shooting into the dark, this next month I will be tricking my MAF, i will break the housing and making a larger one, using larger injectors and stuff...

I will see what will happen.

thanks for the help perf...im sorry for the slow process of me learning this stuff, i apperciate the help u have given....i think i have the concept of how i should go about with tuning my msp, do u have any updates on ur piggyback for our cars??

perfworks said:
Well until the MODS make a section you are more than welcome to post your MSP dyno pulls under the dyno thread of your choice.
We will invite all the vendors of this forum to take part. If you wish i could start the thread and you can gather your info.

I agree with adding a tuning section.

What ever happened to that mazdaspeed you installed your tuner on Nick??? Speedy's car.

CustomMSP said:
Nick,

*Threadjack*
How's the EVO coming along?
0429.jpg

Here ya go
She runs about 25-30 PSI on pump gas. Tuned with an AEM PNP EMS.
It looks like we are going to the dyno next week. That will be fun.:D

AutoBox said:
thanks for the help perf...im sorry for the slow process of me learning this stuff, i apperciate the help u have given....i think i have the concept of how i should go about with tuning my msp, do u have any updates on ur piggyback for our cars??
Auto Box, I am not really doing a piggyback. I will however have to EMS solutions . The first will be the AFCII and the next a PNP Standalone.

We feel that to do engine management right you need complete control over ALL the igntion and fuel maps. Not manipulation. You shouldnt have to fight the ecu to get what you want. We will provide that with the ability to switch back to just the stock ECU at any time. No cutting No slicing. PNP

perfworks said:
Auto Box, I am not really doing a piggyback. I will however have to EMS solutions . The first will be the AFCII and the next a PNP Standalone.

We feel that to do engine management right you need complete control over ALL the igntion and fuel maps. Not manipulation. You shouldnt have to fight the ecu to get what you want. We will provide that with the ability to switch back to just the stock ECU at any time. No cutting No slicing. PNP

Then hurry up, the MPI is winning the first rounds!
How much time you need.

if you can keep the pnp around 1g i may be interested....i under stand ur logic and totally agree....thing is ...i dont plan to keep my msp for a while and do alot of work.....besides turbo back exhaust, FMIC, intake, and possibliy a t28 i dont plan to go internal or anything major besides these bolt ons......hence me not really wanting to spend alot of money on a full stand alone....i was hopin to find something simple and effective to just tune my bolt ons for my application. let me know about ur afc2 and pnp as u work on it......thanks again

perfworks said:
I can understand it running richer. It will happen anytime you disconnect either the CTS, AIS and O2. You are physically not allowing the ecu to get its' continuity check done from the circuit. That will not allow closed loop operation. You are then relying on preprogrammed maps from the MAF and rpm (CAS)

So that means it has switched to open loop then, right? So theoretically you could manipulate the temp sensor, or O2 sensor at boost onset to make it look like they aren't working, and the ECU would go into open loop? But I imagine just making it look like the sensor isn't working would trigger a CEL?

Chris

Back