Dude, I'm getting a dell

vindication

Missing my Protege
Contributor
:
2001 Pro 2.0 LX
Well the title says it all. I was just wondering if Dell has any flaws that I should be looking for. I know that they're pretty good and pretty cheap for the computer that I bought. Any knowledge, known(factual), not heard it through the grape vine knowledge would be appreciated
dellguysm.jpg

In the last couple of years we rolled out over 600 Dell computers to our users and we haven't had a problem with any of them. Good choice, you'll be happy with it.

Customer service sucks with them, but they build a pretty solid PC. Just hope nothing goes wrong or you'll be on hold for hours while being transfered to 7 different departments.

cool... what are the specs and how much did you pay?

my dell laptop kicks ass. but i would never buy a desktop system from them, because i think it's always better to build them from scratch....

but that's my opinion and i'm awfully picky...

vindication said:
Well the title says it all. I was just wondering if Dell has any flaws that I should be looking for. I know that they're pretty good and pretty cheap for the computer that I bought. Any knowledge, known(factual), not heard it through the grape vine knowledge would be appreciated .

Last edited:
Same here, only bad thing I can say about Dell is that they had a string of bad lite-on optical drives. And they issued a recall and called the users personally who were known to have the machines.

Dell is a great company for machines on the desktop. I even helped my mother buy one, and I build machines (roughly 1 or 2 machines a month).

Oh, and at the end of this month, my RAID 5 array will be finished. This will bring my apartment up to 1372GB (1.3TB and yes, I did that using the 1024 method) of HD space. I'm moving my 470GB FTP to a 600GB effective (720GB actual) Raid 5 array, and then using 2 external 250GB drives for detachable storage on my main machine.

Sorry, had to brag.

It's a 4600 series
here's the specs:

-Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.8GHz w/533MHz FSB<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition<o:p></o:p>

-FREE TurboTax Basic for Tax Year 2003<o:p></o:p>

-FREE UPGRADE! 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 333MHz<o:p></o:p>

-40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM)<o:p></o:p>

-3.5 in Floppy Drive<o:p></o:p>

-Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + FREE UPGRADE! 48x CD-RW Drive<o:p></o:p>

-Dell Quietkey Keyboard<o:p></o:p>

-Dell 2-button scroll mouse<o:p></o:p>

-Microsoft Works Suite including Money<o:p></o:p>

-McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial<o:p></o:p>

-SAVE $100! 15 in (15.0 in viewable) E152FPb Flat Panel Display<o:p></o:p>

-128MB DDR ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI<o:p></o:p>

-Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio<o:p></o:p>

-Dell Media Experience<o:p></o:p>

-Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH<o:p></o:p>

-Dell Picture Studio, Paint Shop Pro Trial, Photo Album Starter Edition<o:p></o:p>

-RealOne Player, with 14 day SuperPass trial<o:p></o:p>

-Integrated Intel PRO 10/100 Ethernet<o:p></o:p>

-56K PCI Data Fax Modem<o:p></o:p>

-6 Months America Online Internet Access Included

I decided not to go to crazy cause I had a budget. All together it was a little over $1000 including shipping. Some things I didn't get, like speakers because I have really good set with sub that is way better than theirs. Other things also.

I'm hoping that came with an LCD???

www.fatwallet.com - check the forums whenever you are buying a dell. Lots of coupon codes and small biz discounts. (dell allows anyone to purchase as a small biz)

Dells are cool, but RONI said, its usually better (definately cheaper) to go and build one yourself.. takes some time and patience though. Oh, and yeah, their customer service sucks.

Steve! Ha ha, too bad dude got busted for drugs. :p

Anyway, we used to have Dell's at CitiFinancial and since I was in the IT dept I got to hear a bit about them. As far as my experiences there we didn't have any manufacturer defects... just users... :D

Sorry, that was a response to the 1.3TB machine that was bragged about. Just messin, like how people put stick on horsepower on their cars?

Micah said:
Uhm.... - what are you talking about?

Last edited:
the one i have now is a custom built one but it's like 4 years old. but the thing is that i'm not too computer literate so if there is a major problem i need to get someone to help me. With dell, even though their service is bad, i can get some supprt.

JonKlsn said:
Sorry, that was a response to the 1.3TB machine that was bragged about. Just messin, like how people put stick on horsepower on their cars?
Thanks!

I'm a geek, and I've got the hookup on hardware. Such being the case, I have alot of hardware.

I totally understand! I'm a geek as well. I work in the field so I'm one of the few who gets what you are talking about. Thumbs up on your setup btw. That is very impressive.

Micah said:
Thanks!

I'm a geek, and I've got the hookup on hardware. Such being the case, I have alot of hardware.

Micah said:
Same here, only bad thing I can say about Dell is that they had a string of bad lite-on optical drives. And they issued a recall and called the users personally who were known to have the machines.

Dell is a great company for machines on the desktop. I even helped my mother buy one, and I build machines (roughly 1 or 2 machines a month).

Oh, and at the end of this month, my RAID 5 array will be finished. This will bring my apartment up to 1372GB (1.3TB and yes, I did that using the 1024 method) of HD space. I'm moving my 470GB FTP to a 600GB effective (720GB actual) Raid 5 array, and then using 2 external 250GB drives for detachable storage on my main machine.

Sorry, had to brag.

Damn, what the hell are you FTP'in...the Library of Congress...

I don't delete - ever. The simplest way for me to put it is that I have everything that I could ever imagine wanting. Movies, Music, Games, Music Videos, TV Shows, Applications, Operating Systems, Emulators & Roms, Pr0n, Digital Media Conversion Tools, IT related study aids, etc.

Thats cool...i was going to set up an ftp on one of my boxes, but i'm not sure if i should do it on linux box, or an xp box using iis...

Back