Driving a Stick

bscaggs06

I was wondering the best way to learn to drive a stick if no one in my family has a manual car. The friends of mine that do have sticks have really nice cars and don't want to ruin their clutch. What should I do?

rent a 5 speed car,but take ur friend with u cuz they wont let u have one if u cant drive it haha

Someone from indiana, holy s***... Dont tell me you got a MSP as your first car to drive stick with. Subtract one more MSP from the list.

go to "rent-a-wreck" place arround your area.
they have plenty of beat up 5-speed cars and trucks.

when i was teaching my friend how to drive, we got a '86 accord 5-speed.
decent car to learn in.

it costs like 10 bux a day to rent. it's a POS car, but whatever :)

I am just driving my truck for now. So don't worry about losing another msp :p . That is a good idea (renting). I'll look around and see what I can find. Thanks a lot for your help

Hey! I drove the msp off the lot with barely any experience with it. It was actually my second time driving stick. I still have my msp :p

xtrememps said:
Hey! I drove the msp off the lot with barely any experience with it. It was actually my second time driving stick. I still have my msp :p

The funniest thing i saw was on the evolutionm boards that this kid who's parents bought him an EVO8 as his first car. The kid was 16, just got his liscense and didnt know how to drive stick. That is a train wreck waiting to happen.

I had only drivin stick twice before I got my msp. I sucked alot, then the first time I drove the msp it was just buttah. Dont know why but I stalled it once in the first 2 weeks or so. Didnt really have any problems.

Chris

the way i learned was. i bought a p.o.s. civic for 400 bucks and beat the s*** out of it. About a month later i got rammed my a lady in a lexus truck... and cha-ching!!!!

yeah when i got my msp i had driven stick twice....wasn't 'buttah' at all. It was more people saying "oh look at that kid that thinks he's a badass in his nice car but really can't drive it!" .... just take your friends nice cars out, thats how i got the main jist of it.

wait you own the msp? just use that... get up early like 6-7am head over to your local mall parking lot and practice. Remeber that if anything goes wrong most times just push teh clutch in it will save you from stalling. Bring you friend and let him show you the tips

really you can't screw up your friends clutch even if they teach you on their car. i've taught serveral friends stick on my car already and none of them have ****** it up. the person teaching can tell if you are doing it wrong from the sounds and movement of the car like they will know if you are holding the clutch while the car is in motion etc. besides your first lesson will probably be mainly inside a big empty parking lot. after that you could probably just practice on your msp.

driving, like up-shift isn't that hard, what takes more practice is downshift which you would probably start doing about a week into driving stick.

i picked up my car stick and i had only had one lesson before driving my car off the lot.

thunder said:
I never drove an automatic, is it difficult? :)
hahha yes it is a little difficult. especially in some cars you have to look down to see which gear you are in. hahhaha

It's been 6 months I have my speed, and It's been 6 months that I'm driving stick. The worse was the first week but I turned out ok after that. Took another 2 weeks to stop in the middle of a slope and then advance again.

was at my barber shop today getting my hair cut, reading a wrap up review of an evo in some car mag. they said the clutch and throwout bearing went at 19,850 miles and cost $1250 to get fixed. they said it was not under warranty. they made it sound like they drove the car hard, but did not abuse it. that is an expensive repair for not abusing the clutch with only 20K.

rent a car and learn how to drive stick........don't make an expensive repair for learning how to drive on your new EVO.

Back