Driver's Side power mirror

Martskin

So after a year and a half of re-taping my driver's side mirror back in place with electrical tape; I finally order an after market replacement mirror. I figured out how to unscrew and install the mirror but I can't seem to get the door panel to come loose to plug in the electrical cord. I managed to hot-wire it to adjust it temporarily but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Martin

Martskin said:
So after a year and a half of re-taping my driver's side mirror back in place with electrical tape; I finally order an after market replacement mirror. I figured out how to unscrew and install the mirror but I can't seem to get the door panel to come loose to plug in the electrical cord. I managed to hot-wire it to adjust it temporarily but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Martin

By the way, here's where I got it. It's constructed well but the quality of the actual mirror is sub-par:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! woohoo!!

So you need to remove the whole door panelt o get the plug on? Let's see.. well first you pull off that little triangle piece on the inside right where the mirror is (you must have done that already to swap the mirror on). Then there's I believe 2 screws on the grab handle thing on the armrest. take those out. There's another screw hidden in the door handle (the lever you use to release the door). After that, along the edge of the door panel I think there might be some plastic clips, the kind where you have to use a flathead to pop the center circle piece out to release the clip.

The motion to remove the door panel is kind of an up and out. The bottom half of the panel will just pull off the door (lots of little clips will pop if I recall correctly) but the upper part is resting on the window edge so you have to lift up to get it over the ledge there and the thing for the door lock. Once you get it off there's a plug or two to disconnect the electronics from the door panel and then you can get it out of your way.

I could get into more detail but I'm at work right now so I can't go examine my car :)

Edit: there's a bit of a trick for getting the door lever off.. once you get the panel moving a bit you can kinda rotate that handle so that it can fit through the hole in the door.. the handle stays with the door when you take the panel off.

And since I forgot to mention it, I think the grab handle on the armrest has to be pulled off before you can remove the door too.. I may be thinking of the panels on the rear doors though with that one.

good luck!

Thanks for the quick response! I unscrewed all of those last night and pulled out a clip on the side but I was afraid to force it. I'll try again and wiggle with more force now that I know I'm on the right track.

As a side note I drove it from Kentucky to California last spring (taped mirror and all :p). I made it there and back again with no trouble whatsoever! Aside from a headlight that went out at the Grand Canyon.

yay. I like the look of white P5s :) I have no clue what color I would have gotten if I had a choice, but the sunlight silver was the only one I could snatch up :)

hey guys - i'm gonna bump this thread to ask a related question; came back from a business trip to find my driver's side mirror bashed apart, painted shell and all. fortunately i had a service appt @ mazda today and was able to get pricing for the mirror - which unfortunately for me, will cost $225 for full installation.

does anyone know if you can order the whole mirror enclosure already painted? or is the paint done at the dealership? i think it came to around $125 without the labor.

The one I got was unpainted but my shell was okay so I was able to use the old one. Don't know for sure but I believe you'll either have to paint it yourself or have the dealer do it.... :(

damns, so it definitely comes unpainted from the factory and the dealer has to match the paint to your car?

robot why dont you pop the cover off the back of the mirror have your color code mixed in a rattle can (or in a paint can if you have an air compressor and a paint gun) and spray it yourself?
just an idea.
im poppin mine off cuz i have some corrosion on the plastic (little white spots EVERYWHERE! its on my passenger side skirt as well the whole skirt) and a buddy of mine who is taking a collision repair class is gonna spray mine for me in the paint booth at his school

Kansei said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! woohoo!!

So you need to remove the whole door panelt o get the plug on? Let's see.. well first you pull off that little triangle piece on the inside right where the mirror is (you must have done that already to swap the mirror on). Then there's I believe 2 screws on the grab handle thing on the armrest. take those out. There's another screw hidden in the door handle (the lever you use to release the door). After that, along the edge of the door panel I think there might be some plastic clips, the kind where you have to use a flathead to pop the center circle piece out to release the clip.

The motion to remove the door panel is kind of an up and out. The bottom half of the panel will just pull off the door (lots of little clips will pop if I recall correctly) but the upper part is resting on the window edge so you have to lift up to get it over the ledge there and the thing for the door lock. Once you get it off there's a plug or two to disconnect the electronics from the door panel and then you can get it out of your way.

I could get into more detail but I'm at work right now so I can't go examine my car :)

Edit: there's a bit of a trick for getting the door lever off.. once you get the panel moving a bit you can kinda rotate that handle so that it can fit through the hole in the door.. the handle stays with the door when you take the panel off.

And since I forgot to mention it, I think the grab handle on the armrest has to be pulled off before you can remove the door too.. I may be thinking of the panels on the rear doors though with that one.

good luck!
Hey Chris, you forgot the screw closest to the dash that has the plastic cap over the top of it.

Back