Driver seat recliner gets stuck in the on position. Very Dangerous!

teradyl

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 CX-5 Touring that has had this problem for a while, but wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and/or knows how to fix it.

If you flick the switch to recline or unrecline the seat, it doesn't always snap back to center when I let go, which means it continues moving! This is fine for me since I know, but I've had other people use my car and flick the switch while driving, and then get freaked out because the seat is literally moving away or crushing them. I'm posting about it now also because I just got my tires replaced, and when the guy returned my car he must have flicked the switch and got out and I didn't notice. I tried to get in the car and it was reclined all the way back and wouldn't move!! Fortunately the motor started working again a few minutes later, but that would essentially make the car undriveable with the seat back fully reclined.

I took it in when it first started about 2 and a half years ago (when my car was still under warranty), and they seemed to have unstuck it but only for a short period of time. I went back later when it reappeared, but they didn't write down on my receipt what they did and said they couldn't fix it out of warranty (even though their warranty fix didn't actually fix it).

I feel like this is recall worthy and I should be able to get Mazda to fix this for free, being it is a fault with their system (I have never spilled anything near the seat electronics) and extremely dangerous. I think I tweeted at them a while back and they ignored me.

Any suggestions?

Go around the dealer to Mazda US Customer Service. Tell them your story as you've related it here and I'll bet they'll good-will the repair.

Probably just a bad switch. They happen. Honestly, your vehicle is out of warranty. Take it to an independent shop and pay the small sum to fix it as with other things that go wrong.

at it's worse, you can buy a new switch and replace it yourself... it's about $125

Back