Downsizing from 16" to 15" wheels for 2002 Mazda Protege5

Scavengergirl

:
Mazda Protege5
I like my Protege5...but I hate the wheels. The tires selection is relatively limited (& expensive) and I can't seem to keep the wheels away from the curbs. Current tire size is 195/50/16 - Kumho Ecsta.

I'm thinking if I switch from 16" to 15" I'll save in the long run on tires and the original wheels will be in better shape once I decide to sell, PLUS I'd have an extra set of 'winter' tires to entice a buyer.

Is there a down side to switching from 16" to 15" for permanent use instead of just 'winter' use? Can this damage the car in the long run?

What are the options so far as sizes?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can run any size you want it will not damage the vehicle, likely 15x6" wheels will work. Your stock wheels don't really have much value especially at this point in time (maybe $200) so keeping them as an investment is not the best idea. It may throw off the speedometer changing wheel and tire sizes.

As long as you keep the overall height of the tire the same (or as close to the same as possible) as stock, you shouldn't have any speedometer problems. Changing overall rolling diameter effects the speedometer (either showing you going faster or slower than you actually are). As small as the P5 stock brakes are, you shouldn't have any problems going to a smaller wheel.

Some prefer to run a 15" to get a little more tire under the wheel well. As mentioned, it will be just fine, just use the tire calculators posted above as ref.

15x8 is possible but not sure if it would require a rear fender roll but with a 15x7 you should be fine, just pay attention to the offset of your wheel of choice.

A lot of buyers would just see the second set of wheels as a hassle in the purchase. I would just go ahead and sell them separately.

And guess it's all perspective. I see the tires on this, especially the Kuhmo's as being dirt cheap. But then I'm comparing to 18s on my GTI and now Legacy...

Current tire size is 195/50/16 - Kumho Ecsta.

For what it's worth, and if it helps, you can put on 205/50/16 tires. The selection is a lot better, they're a teeny bit (10mm) wider but the same diameter, and I don't know for sure but I think they're a bit less expensive.

I don't blame you, though. I went from a Neon with 185/65/14's (like 45-50 bucks apiece at WalMart) to the P5, and boy did I get a shock the first time I saw how much tires cost for it.

I went from 225/35/18 to 195/65/15. Good - takes bumps MUCH better. bad - Lost SO much steering feel.

For what it's worth, and if it helps, you can put on 205/50/16 tires.

^What he said,... way more to pick from, better prices,... that's what's on my car.

Unless you want a set of winter wheels for yourself this is probably the cheapest and easiest route for you.

One other thing to possibly consider is that alloy rims are more inclined to crack when you hit a curb, steel rims are more inclined to bend. You might be able to ignore a small dent but not a crack.

Back