Downshift problems with Mazda5! Stuck in 3rd gear

Kofinator

:
Mazda5 2012
Anyone else have this problem? With my '12 Mazda5 it gets stuck in 3rd gear around 10-15 mph. In my opinion, hardly any car needs to be in 3rd gear at this speed. Scenario: slowing down to turn, or go over a speed bump, or come to an intersection (not stopping totally to 0 mph), then then later accelerating, the transmission gets stuck in 3rd gear. Then it lags and slowly accelerates through 15+ mph. The result: poor acceleration, which later turns to slightly over-acceleration (w/ added fuel in line and little torque), and awful gas mileage (about 17 - 19 mpg in the city!). Granted much of my driving is in the city going to and fro for kid pickups and drop offs--and lots of local speed bumps. However, even entering my house from the street, I decelerate to turn, then go up a slight hill --> it gets stuck in 3rd gear, then abruptly downshifts to 1st when the speed drops to around 5 mph.

I've learned that some cars have an oxygen sensor or some other mechanism to detect and control air/fuel combinations. Is this the problem? If so, is it an easy fix for the dealer?

How do I know it's stuck in 3rd gear? I can shift over to manual, and it indicates the gear in 3rd. This can't be normal, for not only is it a fuel consumer, it's slightly dangerous to have to compensate the acceleration lag once it goes over 20+ mph. Whenever I use the manual shift mode, I can of course control down and upshifting with no lag problems. Help, please!

Anyone else have this problem? With my '12 Mazda5 it gets stuck in 3rd gear around 10-15 mph. In my opinion, hardly any car needs to be in 3rd gear at this speed. Scenario: slowing down to turn, or go over a speed bump, or come to an intersection (not stopping totally to 0 mph), then then later accelerating, the transmission gets stuck in 3rd gear. Then it lags and slowly accelerates through 15+ mph. The result: poor acceleration, which later turns to slightly over-acceleration (w/ added fuel in line and little torque), and awful gas mileage (about 17 - 19 mpg in the city!). Granted much of my driving is in the city going to and fro for kid pickups and drop offs--and lots of local speed bumps. However, even entering my house from the street, I decelerate to turn, then go up a slight hill --> it gets stuck in 3rd gear, then abruptly downshifts to 1st when the speed drops to around 5 mph.

I've learned that some cars have an oxygen sensor or some other mechanism to detect and control air/fuel combinations. Is this the problem? If so, is it an easy fix for the dealer?

How do I know it's stuck in 3rd gear? I can shift over to manual, and it indicates the gear in 3rd. This can't be normal, for not only is it a fuel consumer, it's slightly dangerous to have to compensate the acceleration lag once it goes over 20+ mph. Whenever I use the manual shift mode, I can of course control down and upshifting with no lag problems. Help, please!

I am having exactly the same problem as yours in my 2007 mazda 6i 2.3L for over a year now. I have spent so much of my time and cash on this car. I have done ATF flush with OEM mazda MV atf with a new tranny filter change, change all 4 ignition coils and spark plugs, checked my fuel pumps and injectors, changed air filter, changed intake manifold gaskets, changed the center(pre-cat Bank 1 sensor 2) oxygen sensor which popped-up a check light, yet with all this services done it's still the same problem no changes. Where you able to solve yours? Please, i would appreciate if you post the solution here or how you were able to solve it. Thanks!

its not a problem, its just the way its programmed. every mazda5 that i've been in has acted the same way. to defeat the system, just throw it in "manual" mode and downshift to whatever gear you want.

Good day,
I see the posts and i have a 2010 premacy , 2.0 MZR disi , 5 speed auto with tiptronic. I have the same issue , when slowing down for speed bumps the vehicle gets lazy and is in 3rd gear for way too long and should have been in 2nd. Just want another confirmation if this is how it really is and someone mentioned the TCM need to be replaced as they always overheat and get damaged once they are not removed from the top of the transmission and relocated to a cooler place such as the firewall..any insights to this?

I am having exactly the same problem as yours in my 2007 mazda 6i 2.3L for over a year now. I have spent so much of my time and cash on this car. I have done ATF flush with OEM mazda MV atf with a new tranny filter change, change all 4 ignition coils and spark plugs, checked my fuel pumps and injectors, changed air filter, changed intake manifold gaskets, changed the center(pre-cat Bank 1 sensor 2) oxygen sensor which popped-up a check light, yet with all this services done it's still the same problem no changes. Where you able to solve yours? Please, i would appreciate if you post the solution here or how you were able to solve it. Thanks!
I have a question. Did the transmission behave like this initially or was it okay and this happened after a while?

Just saying this is a very interesting post , i noticed the same thing with my 2010 mazda premacy 5 speed with the mzr disi 2.0 engine. the tcm is not relocated.
looking out to hear more answers on this subject

Hello, i have the same problem with my 2010 premacy. I got it like that.
just wondering if that is really how the transmission works or something wrong like tcm or shift solenoid?

Back