Don't do what I did v.motor mounts

wiley858

:
02 Protege 5
A few months ago, I told my sister that I would teach her how to drive a stick. Mistake one. My P5 is boosted, Kartboy short shifter, a few other things and even it is a challenge for other people used to driving sticks to drive my car.

We started the night out slow in a parking lot at a local school. I gave my sis a quick run down of slipping the clutch enough to not let the engine die, but enough to start the car moving. What does she do? WHAM, stomps on the gas, gets scared lets off the gas and the clutch at the same time. Car lurches to a bone grinding halt 15 feet from where we started.

I told her to start the car up again and try again. Mistake two. The engine gave out a hell of a cough and labored to life again. She managed, in half a second, to break all four stock motor mounts and strip four of my exhause header bolts out. Do not ask me how she did this.

I noticed the engine sounding kinda funny so I looked under the hood. The passenger side bolts were missing (where they went, I have no idea) and one of the other bolts was just kinda sitting in the block, free turning in the now-stripped hole. Since I knew my car was semi-f'ed anyways, I continued the lesson. Mistake three.

By the end of the night, she managed to fully break all the motor mounts the rest of the way and strip one more bolt out of the driver side of the exhaust manifold.

I drove my poor car home that night and pondered what I was going to do. Being the lazy guy I am, I just left the motor mounts but helicoiled all the bolts and left it at that. Mistake four.

Fast forward 7 months of driving on broken mounts (I was broke the entire time trying to finish up my commercial pilots license and also going to school full time as well), I finally run across 500 dollars to get all the new motor mounts. AWR full set with passenger side mount as well. They are nice. Makes the car rumble a bit and are responsive. I wish I had gotten the 88 rockwell mounts for the front and rear, but the 70's are just fine.

Now, what did the old mounts look like? Mind you, I had been drivng on these mounts for about 15k miles (about 14999 too long IMO) and have been doing my best to baby it so I didn't mess anything else up, but I need to helicoil the exhaust manifold bolts again.

Rear motor mount:

872e2e34.jpg

Front motor mount:

IMG_0374.jpg

Transmission mount:

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

The new mounts:

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the other two before they went in, and lost the pic of the passenger side mount, but it looked just like the tranny mount. Am I dumb? Probably. But at least it is running like a top now (second)

Fast forward 7 months of driving on broken mounts (I was broke the entire time trying to finish up my commercial pilots license and also going to school full time as well)

heyyyy...im looking to be a pilot too!
i should be getting my private this summer, depending on how things go

@wiley858: I suspect teaching my brother how to drive manual has something to do with the current state of my mounts... It's a shame they're so fragile.

Regarding the AWR mounts, how important is it to get the full set? Can I get away with new front and rear mounts with inserts for the sides on an NA P5?

I'm talking about this kit: http://protegegarage.com/634-product-634.html

I plan on getting these eventually:

**Link Removed - Please check your PM**

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh-oh.. I'm not sure if you're aware or what you just did lol.

I still don't get the rules of links on here, since they seem to be applied so inconsistently.

Are we only allowed to link to authorized vendors, or what? Personally, I think that's a load of BS.

I still don't get the rules of links on here, since they seem to be applied so inconsistently.

Are we only allowed to link to authorized vendors, or what? Personally, I think that's a load of BS.

lol wow, seriously? if that's true, damn, that IS bs. Forums are supposed to allow people to share the best information available

Those mounts are thrashed lol. I've seen some bad ones in some hondas before but damn....she sure did a good job lol

Back