Does this seem like a fair deal?

speedblue88

:
2003 Laser Blue P5
Ok, so I'm pricing out different places to get my timing belt, etc. done within the next month or so. A guy I work with said this:

My friend keith said he would do it for about $740.....that is with new accesory drive belts, timing belt kit, water pump and a thermostat...parts (from o'reilly with no markup...and less than you would pay by 6%) are about 540....4 hours labor at 200...

Seem reasonable?

Last edited:
$500 for those parts seem kind of pricey.

Walking into any parts store should yield:
Timing belt <$70
Water Pump <$50
Thermostat + Gasket <$20
Acc Belts <$10 a piece

That's less than $200 for parts at retail cost and I was estimating pretty high.

What kind of a friend is he to charge you that much? Most of my guys charge me a case of beer per day, lol. Tell you the truth that sounds more like shop rates and not too much of a bargain. I'd keep shopping.

You'd pay less than $740 at a dealership...$200 bucks is a little lowball for parts alone, but even using all Mazda OEM parts at retail you're looking at only $300 to like $350...

On the second belt change, at 100K+ mi, you want to change the timing belt idler and tensioner pulleys (about $30 each) Also change the front main oil seal while you're in there (10 bucks).

...$200 bucks is a little lowball for parts alone,

Not really...I just jumped on autozone.com and started typing things in.

Water Pump - $59.99
Timing Belt - $31.99
Therm $9.99
Therm gasket $4.99
VC gasket $34.99
Idler, tensioner, tensioner spring $89.99

231.94 for everything except acc belts and oil seal (a few bucks each). Buy it all in seperate $20 purchases and get a $20 autozone gift card for every 5 $20+ purchases will net you at least one free gift card. Also the price on the VC and therm gasket is probably listed way higher online than actual. My friend that works there told me so and I've bought a couple gaskets expecting online prices.

Consider this - where I work we have roughly a 180% markup on parts. Say our wholesale cost on parts is roughly 60-75% of retail. Take .75 muiltiply by the mentioned total (231.94) and then muiltiply by the markup percentage (2.8 - unit of 1 plus 180%)

.75*231.94*2.8=$487.07

Doesn't that number seem kind of close to his parts price?
Also 4 hours of labor for $200 means it's $50 an hour. Most shops charge between $60-100 per hour. Not much of a deal. If you're gonna have him do for that price just go somewhere else and be a regular customer so you get the warranties on the service. If he does it "as a favor" you've got no leverage if something fails.

Ok, so I'm pricing out different places to get my timing belt, etc. done within the next month or so. A guy I work with said this:

My friend keith said he would do it for about $740.....that is with new accesory drive belts, timing belt kit, water pump and a thermostat...parts (from o'reilly with no markup...and less than you would pay by 6%) are about 540....4 hours labor at 200...

Seem reasonable?
if you are mechanically inclined, you can take this on with just you and a buddy. took an hour to pull apart mine when i did it. me and my uncle. took us a total of 3 hours to get it done.

i need to do all that as well. but i'm gonna do it on my own. tryin to consider whether i should get a spare head and block and rebuild or just do it to my current motor. i'm hitting 93k miles soon

Back