Do you down shift while daily driving?

well, i've downshifted a "long, long" time with many different cars and trucks...never had a problem or premature wear...i don't drive like an indy car driver either(dunno)

+1 I have have about 6 or 7 manual cars and trucks.....I downshift all the time never had any issues with premature wear never had any tranny issues......I don't drive like an indy racer but I do some enthused driving on occasion around the curves or on some tracks. in the area.

I don't understand why you wouldn't downshift when approaching a red light from a distance or coming to any stop when you have time to prepare. My dads old mustang gt didn't need new brake pads until like 90k miles because we always downshifted and hardly ever used the brakes unless it was necessary. If you do it correctly it will also always leave you in a good rpm range to floor it once the light turns green, then you can fly by all the idiots who sped up to the red light and slammed on their brakes.

Right on brother, Exactly what I do and all my friends look at me like WTF until i leave their dumbasses back at the light.

Brake pads are a lot cheaper than clutch kits. Just use your brakes, why would you downshift every gear to slow down ? It's ricey

Hell, even Indy racer's don't have the transmission problems referred to in this post. They have engine problems.

If I am driving spirited = yes
If I am driving normally = no

No point in it if you are just driving, just wasted energy. Especially if you are downshifting through all the gears... then you just look like a tool.

Brake pads are a lot cheaper than clutch kits. Just use your brakes, why would you downshift every gear to slow down ? It's ricey

if you're spinning it up to redline and being agressive on the clutch, then yeah, I would agree, but using the engine to slow the car down over an eigth mile coming into a stoplight instead of waiting til the last 200'.... I would argue is anything but rice, its efficient driving.

if you're spinning it up to redline and being agressive on the clutch, then yeah, I would agree, but using the engine to slow the car down over an eigth mile coming into a stoplight instead of waiting til the last 200'.... I would argue is anything but rice, its efficient driving.

+1. Not Ricey........I concur with it being efficient.

Many downshifts on many cars over many years. The only clutch work was on a 'yota pickup needing a slave cylinder at 80K or so.

If it dosnt matter why dont they make automatics downshift as you come to a stop?

They do! Alison automatic transmissions can be programmed to downshift through the gears all the way down to 2nd gear as the RPM limit comes into range.

The French GM A5S 390R in my roadster will down shift in sport mode or can be easily downshifted with a quick pull on the stick. It is a great performance option. I suspect you'll see more of this as time goes on.

ha, i down shift my auto tranny as well...have for 8 yrs! 140k, no issues

Anticipation

If you KNOW you are going to have to slow down, get off the gas and coast.

If traffic is kind of slowing down, down shift into the proper gear.

If you are going down a long grade, shift into the gear that keeps you at an appropriate speed.

If you don't want the guy behind you to see you braking, downshift.

If you want to haul ass through every corner, downshift before and accelerate out.

Brakes are cheaper than engines.

Every single time you push the clutch in and engage or disengage, you're putting wear on the throw-out bearing, clutch safety switch, and clutch disc. If you downshift almost every gear during regular driving, you're using the clutch that much more...simple huh ? I'm not saying it's going to outright ruin your car or drivetrain, however I am saying that for the average person, Downshifting is not needed 99% of the time.

Rev Match downshifting is quite a different story, due to the fact that it will put much less stress / wear on the syncros, and the engagement of the clutch disc to flywheel will be much smoother than a typical downshift. Even still, what's the point, so everyone can hear what your exhaust sounds like in each gear ? You downshift when driving in a spirited fashion, or snowy weather, or to maintain a desireable speed downhill, AKA when it is needed (like Apexing and tracking out of corners), not slowing down to traffic lights, that's just silly, really....

I'll reiterate that downshifting won't ruin your car and you likely won't even notice the wear for a long time, BUT if you don't Rev-Match properly, it IS putting undue stresses on drivetrain parts. Whether or not you notice the wear isn't really the arguement. I literally just called one of my old SR20 buddies, whom currently is a Mechanic at Skip Barber Racing School, and he insists that downshifting should only be done when needed, and not just to slow down, IE a situation where brakes will suffice.

Last edited:
I didn't say that only young people Downshift, if you were paying attention you'd read that I did say "A lot of the younger car guys I know downshift constantly and when not needed"

I like how people argue things on the forum that are factual, not opinions. One more time for everyone.... IF YOU DON'T REV-MATCH PROPERLY, YOU WILL PUT EXCESS WEAR ON THE CLUTCH AND SYNCROS when down-shifting. This is not debatable. Whether or not you care is a totally different ball game.

Last edited:
Hahaha, I'm trying to relax man, sorry. I'm trying not to be a dick, but it's tough when people ignore facts, and instead substitute opinion.

Take this into consideration: I just got finished listening to a guy at work tell me that "Global Warming" is fake, and that Humans and our "industries" don't in any way adversely affect the Environment. He was dead serious too, it was painful. That's why I'm so pumped up, hahah, god damn it.

OMG, you have to be kidding right? You drive a stick and don't want to downshift? Downshift for christ sake, or just buy a car with an automatic tranny and be done with it.
WOW....

OMG, you have to be kidding right? You drive a stick and don't want to downshift? Downshift for christ sake, or just buy a car with an automatic tranny and be done with it.
WOW....

Thanks for the tip, but I'll keep down shifting for when I'm driving some twisties, not approaching traffic lights.

Last edited:
Back