DIY_lowering

steefnap

"Have you lowered your car yourself?"

Hey all,

I have Koni Yellows and RPM Lower springs yet to be installed on my Speed6. I am willing to tackle this myself, but I have a few questions first:

1. Did you have the use of a lift, or did you just jack it up?
2. What tools did you need?
3. How long did it take? Did you have help?
4. What specifically did you install? Springs, shocks, both? What type of shocks/springs did you install?
5. Were you glad you did it yourself?
6. Any feedback, best practices, etc you can pass along?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Jack and stands. You don't even have to get under the front of the car to do this install.
2. The only thing I don't own that I needed were spring compressors but Advance Autoparts rents those for a goose egg. I have an air compressor and a full set of air tools. If you don't have these it will add a lot of time and a lot of cursing.
3. Always by myself: 1st time (Autoexes and Konis) about 5-6 hours. 3 hours to later remove said Autoexes (defective). 3 hours to put on the K-Specs. I was taking my sweet ass time all 3 times.
4. See #3.
5. Unless warranty is paying for a broken part I don't let anyone touch my car. I have done all the work and I wouldn't have it any other way.
6. If you don't have air tools, find a way to get some. It makes this job soooooooooooo much easier.

awesome, thanks for the feedback kurgator. By air tools... I know my brother has a compressor, but I'm not sure what tools he has. He is a roofer, so obviously a nail gun. Other than that, I'm not sure. Are there any tools in particular I need to get? I think that the Auto Value will loan me spring compressors once I pay a deposit (and get it back afterwards of course).

Another question, either for kurfgator or another well-informed member of this forum. Is there a walkthrough of spring removal/upgrades anywhere for the Speed6? Is it pretty much the same for every type of car? I already have the Koni walkthrough w/ pictures, so that part is covered.

an impact wrench w/ metric sockets will be sufficient.

also alot of pb blaster to loosen those bolts will help, and youll be less likely to strip a bolt or nut.

also a breaker bar in case the impact gun wont reach or fit in an area.

I did a lowering kit on an 05 6s at the shop I work at. The customer expected it would take all day. I did the whole lowering kit in a little over an hour. I will never again in my life do any lift kit or lowering kit or maintenence of any kind without air tools. Once you go air you CANT go back, of course i do have a lift and air tools... and a wall mounted strut compressor... so that helps. Its pretty straight forward

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find a picture-laden walkthrough of the process of changing springs (and shocks if available) on a Mazdaspeed 6?

No one knows of a place where someone documented spring removal? Or is is that easy that someone can figure it out themselves?

I saw an ad for $10 per spring at Pep Boys. If you are worried about the difficulty (and I remember from my Eclipse GSX that it is a PIA even with air tools) just have a shop do it.

The install on the Mazdaspeed will be exactly the same as the regular 6.

There are a few good links but I don't think you can post from other Mazda6 sites on here. PM me for more info.

yeah, I actually took a look at the rear shocks. I think I see where you have to undo it. There's some sort of U-bracket that comes off at the top where the shock goes into.

I noticed a clunk over certain bumps. Looks like I somehow lost a bolt/nut from a joint that maintains my alignment on the rear driver's side wheel. It is just... gone. I have a smaller diameter bolt/nut there now to sort of hold it in place, because I can't really do anything until Mazda opens up again on Dec 27. And even then it will probably be a wait before I can get a spot and get it taken care of. Even though it's probably a 20 minute fix.

I love this car to death... but it sure seems to have it's share of problems. I hate having to bring it to Mazda so often to check on something or fix something.

Another question, either for kurfgator or another well-informed member of this forum. Is there a walkthrough of spring removal/upgrades anywhere for the Speed6? Is it pretty much the same for every type of car? I already have the Koni walkthrough w/ pictures, so that part is covered.

I just posted up a pretty detailed MS6 spring only how to which should give you a good idea of what's involved. This was my first DIY suspension mod and I can say it was more tedious than difficult (springs that is - didn't do shocks). If you're confident enough to take on the Koni install, I'd guess that you won't have any problem with the springs. Here's the link:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3580226#post3580226

Back