DIY - Taking off After-Market Tint

:
2007 CX-9 Grand Touring & 2015 Mazda3 5-door Grand TouringS
Preface: I took my tint off my driver's and passenger's sides just now and I HAD to write up a "how-to" because I'm so proud of myself! :) I have a two-layer tint, with an inner colored film and an outer clear film.

Supplies you need:
  • Hot day
  • Blow dryer - I used my pink Revlon
  • Extension cord for the blow dryer
  • Sharp scissors or a single-edged razor blade - I used my fabric scissors
  • Dish washing soap
  • Water
  • Spray bottle
  • Patience in the beginning

Here's what I did:
I moved my car into the sun first thing in the morning and let the sun warm up the windows for about an hour. It's 88F in the morning here in Florida. :)
I plugged in my extension cord and blow dryer.
I slid my window down just a tad so that I could start at the top.
I took the scissors, and with the sharp edge I made a small cut at the top of the tint, making sure that I cut through BOTH layers.
I turned on the blow dryer to high and blew on the section I just cut and made the glass hot to the touch.
I worked with the film with my nail until I could create a big enough piece to pull on. This is when you need to be patient. Whatever you do, don't use the scissors. You'll just make smaller pieces to scrape off later.
I kept using the blow dryer on the section to loosen the glue and eventually I got my corner!
I used the blow dryer where the film met the glass and pulled on both layers of film at the same time. Make sure you keep the glass and the film hot. The warmer the glass the easier the film comes off and the glue will stay on the film.
Also, the heat also loosens the glue that holds the layers together so I had to make sure that the layers stayed together as I pulled.
I worked on the edges, in a counter-clockwise section, pulling towards the center of the window.
As I got to the bottom, I closed the window and pulled up on the film slowly so that I wouldn't tear it. I directed the blow dryer into the window sill so that the glue and tint will come off easily.
If there is any residue left, mix the dish washing soap and water in a spray bottle, spray on the window, and wipe it up! (You can use WD-40 for the really stubborn stuff. Just make sure that you cover your car and use the soap and water to clean up the WD-40.)

The whole process to do one window took only 10 minutes!

Last edited:
Back