Headlight film question

Oceantango

2019 GTR
Debating on putting ppf on headlights or using one of the spray on coatings like the one from Meguiar‘s. Sounds like the diy of the film can be problematic and maybe better done by a pro. My headlights seem to be in excellent condition and I would like to do what I can to protect them. Anybody have any experience with these methods?

I put PPF on my headlights when the car was new 4 years ago. No problems so far. YMMV

Debating on putting ppf on headlights or using one of the spray on coatings like the one from Meguiar‘s. Sounds like the diy of the film can be problematic and maybe better done by a pro. My headlights seem to be in excellent condition and I would like to do what I can to protect them. Anybody have any experience with these methods?
Yes, I used the Meguiar's spray on headlight coating ~ 14 months ago and it still scratches rather easily. It's just a clear plastic coating. It was really soft for months after application. I could scratch it easily with just the dry skin on my thumb so paper towels have been a no-no. I don't go through car washes with the rotating brushes very often but noticed a few months ago that both headlights have good size scuffs at same location on the corners and attribute that to the brushes since there would be body damage (which there isn't) for body/trim parts that protrude out further.

PPF is worth it if you want the headlights looking pristine. It's the only thing that provides a decent physical barrier to protect against road debris.

PPF is worth it if you want the headlights looking pristine. It's the only thing that provides a decent physical barrier to protect against road debris.
About a year or two after purchase I considered the idea of headlight protection but felt the PPF was too expensive for what it was and that I would revisit the issue later. That didn't happen until the lenses needed some restoration about 6 years later. Instead of a kit I used the Meguiar's Plastx and Headlight Coating which I mentioned above as being too soft.
If I had to do it again I would do the PPF right after purchase while the lenses are new and pristine. Looking back I could have rolled that expense in with the ~ $300+ already allotted for accessories. Lesson learned.

About a year or two after purchase I considered the idea of headlight protection but felt the PPF was too expensive for what it was and that I would revisit the issue later. That didn't happen until the lenses needed some restoration about 6 years later. Instead of a kit I used the Meguiar's Plastx and Headlight Coating which I mentioned above as being too soft.
If I had to do it again I would do the PPF right after purchase while the lenses are new and pristine. Looking back I could have rolled that expense in with the ~ $300+ already allotted for accessories. Lesson learned.

Same here. I wish I had done it as soon as I got the car. My headlights aren't bad at all, but there is some very minor pitting from driving behind the occasional gravel truck.

worth it ...thinking how one of the latest models headlights costs 2000$ each...no wax (carbon, ceramic or whatever) can compare in any way with ppf protect.
just a note that it affects the light output but its very minimal.

Back