DIY Cargo cover

It sucks how car accessories from the dealer are so marked up.

Compared to just about everything else in retail the dealers actually make about half the typical markup. The retail I've worked in everything was a minimum of 100% markup and small trinkets and stuff would typically be 400-500%. That's why stores can run half off sales and still make money. That pair of shoes that is 60% off typically still has more markup percentage on it than the dealer selling a cargo cover for full msrp.

At half off retail all dealers I'm familiar with would lose money on every sale.

Some makes like Fiat hardly break 30% markup on their accessories between dealer cost and suggested retail.

Of course all of the above only applies to the official suggested retail price of the items, not the dealers that use made up, inflated "list" prices. And a lot of dealers do that, unfortunately.

Last edited:
The parts guy at my dealer said that "his cost" for the cagro cover was around $130, so 20% off the reatil price ($190 on the Mazda website) still gives them some change in their pockets.

The parts guy at my dealer said that "his cost" for the cagro cover was around $130, so 20% off the reatil price ($190 on the Mazda website) still gives them some change in their pockets.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that they made $22 on that and if you bought something at the mall for $152 they typically make $70+ on it and even if the item at the mall is half off they still make $35+.

I wasn't saying that they don't end up with change in their pockets, just that against popular opinion (and the stated comment) they don't have a large amount of markup on the items and compared to other types of products it is actually a smaller amount of markup.

Most people seem to automatically assume that all parts of a dealership overcharge for everything. My point was that people buy cans of soup with huge markup at the grocery store and jeans on sale that still have massive markup every day without a thought and yet since it is from a dealership it is assumed that they are automatically making way too much on it.

The common thought as you stated is they at least made something, but if your boss came to you and said "for the next 5 hours we are only going to pay you $5 an hour" would you go "great, at least I'm making something" or "whoa, that's not worth my time". Just as there has to be a return on the investment of your time there has to be a return on any investment for a business to stay in business.

I love a deal as much as the next person and search them out myself, nothing wrong with that. It is just nice to realize that that TV that is $300 off, which gets everyone all excited, is still not as good of deal as that Mazda part.
Heck that TV probably still has more dollars profit in it than many people paid the dealer for their CX5.

Yes, check local dealership websites (parts section), that's where I found the 20% coupon used for cargo cover.

Good thinking, thanks.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that they made $22 on that and if you bought something at the mall for $152 they typically make $70+ on it and even if the item at the mall is half off they still make $35+.

I wasn't saying that they don't end up with change in their pockets, just that against popular opinion (and the stated comment) they don't have a large amount of markup on the items and compared to other types of products it is actually a smaller amount of markup.

Most people seem to automatically assume that all parts of a dealership overcharge for everything. My point was that people buy cans of soup with huge markup at the grocery store and jeans on sale that still have massive markup every day without a thought and yet since it is from a dealership it is assumed that they are automatically making way too much on it.

The common thought as you stated is they at least made something, but if your boss came to you and said "for the next 5 hours we are only going to pay you $5 an hour" would you go "great, at least I'm making something" or "whoa, that's not worth my time". Just as there has to be a return on the investment of your time there has to be a return on any investment for a business to stay in business.

I love a deal as much as the next person and search them out myself, nothing wrong with that. It is just nice to realize that that TV that is $300 off, which gets everyone all excited, is still not as good of deal as that Mazda part.
Heck that TV probably still has more dollars profit in it than many people paid the dealer for their CX5.

Its true. The general public wouldn't believe the markup on somethings. It seems things they think are marked way up are not, and vice versa.

Furniture is a huge offender of this. I worked in it for ten years managing the last 5 and the truth of furniture pricing is hard to swallow. The truth is the cheap stuff is marked up way more than the expensive stuff. I made as much, sometime more incoming on a $599 sofa than one that was marked $1299. Some of that cheap stuff is marked up 200% As to where a really nice leather office chair priced at $1999 is marked up 40%. But folks general don't believe this when i tell them.

Now, Managing in beverage distribution its a completely different game. People think beer is marked way up and we're making a killing but that's not the case. For instance, most of the loose tobacco i move brings me 5%. That's it. Literally pennies.

Its the overall pricing on dealer accessories that makes it seem so overpriced. $150 for a retractable cargo cover is a good bit of money for some plastic and vinyl. But, on the other hand its tough to beat OEM fitment and finish.

Its the overall pricing on dealer accessories that makes it seem so overpriced. $150 for a retractable cargo cover is a good bit of money for some plastic and vinyl. But, on the other hand its tough to beat OEM fitment and finish.

Good example. Because the CX-5 OEM cargo cover is one of the best I've seen in years, it fits perfectly and a lot of thought was put into the design. Worth the discounted price.

Is the cover different for US and Europe? I actually have never seen one in person and was wondering if it really retracts / rolls away when not needed. Is there a video I can see?

Is the cover different for US and Europe? I actually have never seen one in person and was wondering if it really retracts / rolls away when not needed. Is there a video I can see?
It does retract and rolls back when you open/close the trunk door. I really like it. Great in the summer to cover any food items from the sun.. or just to cover your things from any "curious" eyes..

Back