Disabled car due to dead key FOB>?

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Long story short:

Had car serviced at dealer, dealer did a oil change and computer flash. Upon driving home after dealer service, noticed there was RED KEY LIGHT illuminated on instrument panel. But I assumed this was due to the car dealers attendant using the PANIC button on my key fob to locate my car after the service.

The following day, upon starting vehicle, the same RED KEY LIGHT was on. After driving to store and shopping, when attempting to restart the car, the car would not respond at all to the ENGINE START BUTTON on the dash.

Called the MAZDA ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, and car was towed to the dealer, where it waited for 2 days/3 nights because of the holiday weekend.

After contact with the dealer to describe the problem in detail, they inspected it, and informed me that the problem was a weak battery in my KEY FOB. (2.9volts), Dealer said that they replaced it for me at no charge, and that I am GOOD TO GO!
(scratch)

Strange since I was able to use my key fob to lock and unlock the doors from many yards away without any issues. In addition, the LED light on the fob was nice and bright with the "dead battery" This was my secondary fob that is only used maybe once or twice a month.
(scratch)

After talking with the dealers service advisor some more, he also stated that there were some error codes stored in the computer, so they did a reset of the computer.
(scratch)

Did a tiny dead key fob battery really cause me to be stranded? Or did the first computer re-flash not get applied correctly?
(braindead)

Did a tiny dead key fob battery really cause me to be stranded?

Probably not, the system is designed with a dead battery back-up mode. The manual explains how to use it. It's very simple.

Or did the first computer re-flash not get applied correctly?
(braindead)

I have no way to answer that.

Probably not, the system is designed with a dead battery back-up mode. The manual explains how to use it. It's very simple.

I have no way to answer that.

Yes, the "BACKUP" procedure listed in the manual was very simple and followed several times, but with no success. Even the ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE Tow Truck driver gave it a few tries. The ENGINE START button was not functioning, and it would not even cycle the ACC on or off either. The Interior lights still functioned when the car was unlocked, and opened, the fob still worked the doors to lock and unlock, but there was a RED KEY lit on the instrument cluster.
(coffee)

Last edited:
Yes, the "BACKUP" procedure listed in the manual was very simple and followed several times, but with no success. Even the ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE Tow Truck driver gave it a few tries. The ENGINE START button was not functioning, and it would not even cycle the ACC on or off either. The Interior lights still functioned when the car was unlocked, and opened, the fob still worked the doors to lock and unlock, but there was a RED KEY lit on the instrument cluster.
(coffee)

Then it wasn't the key fob battery that was the problem. When you press the back of the key fob against the engine start key you are using passive RFID that does not require any power in order to work - much like a key card to get into a building - get it close enough to the sensor and it activates.

Then it wasn't the key fob battery that was the problem. When you press the back of the key fob against the engine start key you are using passive RFID that does not require any power in order to work - much like a key card to get into a building - get it close enough to the sensor and it activates.

Yes, I agree 100%. Sounds like the dealer messed something up during the computer reflash, but then lied to me and tried to blame it on a dead keyfob battery. (shrug)

Looking at the repair order, after the tow in, there was over a dozen error codes in the computer, and they also took apart the pillar in the interior to check some electrical connectors.

Now after last repair, we are having problems with the GPS antenna reception... (hand)

Now after last repair, we are having problems with the GPS antenna reception... (hand)
Problems in what way? It doesn't work at all, or just intermittent?

If it doesn't work at all they may have uncoupled a connector somewhere. There are three (I believe): 1 under the center speaker cover, top of dash (where the antenna actually is); 1 above the glove compartment, passenger side of dash; 1 into the Nav system of far left of dash, driver side.

Back