Dirtysouth's Project Thread

OK, I've been looking for some JDM STI pink injectors and have found them for around $400 for a set of 4. These may be a viable option. Hopefully I can find some cheaper.

I got my hands on some brand new STI Pink 565cc injectors, so hopefully I will be able to tune for a decent idle and low rpm response.

I just realized that I may need new cooling fans in order to use the gt28rs. I heard from a couple of different posts that there is not enough clearance. Can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• STI Injectors.JPG
    STI Injectors.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I'm almost positive that the stock fans won't fit with the GT28RS.

you can always go with some SPAL slimline fans, thats what i have and they work well, although the A/C condenser fan (9") is a little noisy. You can also mount the A/C condenser fan on the front, instead of behind the radiator, which might give you more clearance.

Nice Rob! We are trying to do a dyno day later this month if you are interested in getting a number before and after, it's in the Ga forums, let me know if you're interested so I can keep the list in my head straight. Yeah right.

jmv said:
you can always go with some SPAL slimline fans, thats what i have and they work well, although the A/C condenser fan (9") is a little noisy. You can also mount the A/C condenser fan on the front, instead of behind the radiator, which might give you more clearance.

Well, I think that the hot-side charge pipe on the Hiboost kit will prevent me from putting the ac condensor fan in front. Come to think of it, I may wait to do the fuel system upgrades and gt28rs until after the motor is broken in. I have not really decided yet, but it may be the best/safest way to go.

That's a good idea. I don't think you'd want to retune while breaking the engine in.

OK, so this is finally happening. I had to wait a little longer than expected to start this project because of some other things I've had going on. Looking at all these parts has been eating away at me for the last few months! I've decided to tackle this project in 2 stages. Stage 1 should be getting underway tomorrow afternoon so long as there are no unforseen circumstances. (breakn)

Plenty of pictures of the process are soon to come (not a how-to though, way too much typing, lol!).

First (Stage 1) I'll install the forged bottom end with the Exedy clutch, Spec Flywheel, new OEM Slave & Master Cylinders, Steel Braided Cluth Line, new Gates Timing Belt, Idler & Tensioner, new OEM Water Pump, PG Intake Manifold, AWR Oil Pan, Rear Motor Mount, Side Inserts, Hose Tech Vac Line Kit, Gauges, etc. When everything is up & running right I'll take like 1500 or so miles to break in the new motor with the stock turbo setup.

Next (Stage 2) I will install the GT28rs, Perrin Fuel Rail, JDM STI (EJ22) Injectors and walbro fuel pump. Then it will be headed straight for the Battleground Engineering to have the Unichip tuned.(rockon)

dirtysouth_msp said:
OK, so this is finally happening. I had to wait a little longer than expected to start this project because of some other things I've had going on. Looking at all these parts has been eating away at me for the last few months! I've decided to tackle this project in 2 stages. Stage 1 should be getting underway tomorrow afternoon so long as there are no unforseen circumstances. (breakn)

Plenty of pictures of the process are soon to come (not a how-to though, way too much typing, lol!).

First (Stage 1) I'll install the forged bottom end with the Exedy clutch, Spec Flywheel, new OEM Slave & Master Cylinders, Steel Braided Cluth Line, new Gates Timing Belt, Idler & Tensioner, new OEM Water Pump, PG Intake Manifold, AWR Oil Pan, Rear Motor Mount, Side Inserts, Hose Tech Vac Line Kit, Gauges, etc. When everything is up & running right I'll take like 1500 or so miles to break in the new motor with the stock turbo setup.

Next (Stage 2) I will install the GT28rs, Perrin Fuel Rail, JDM STI (EJ22) Injectors and walbro fuel pump. Then it will be headed straight for the Battleground Engineering to have the Unichip tuned.(rockon)
Awsome Rob, keep me in the loop I want to make sure I get in a ride when you are done with the tune!

Well, we got started saturday as planned. Pulled the car in the bay around noon and just jumped in head first, lol. Here are some pics of the MAM built block and the AWR Oil Pan that are going in...

Attachments

• DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC00066.JPG
    DSC00066.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC00067.JPG
    DSC00067.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00070.JPG
    DSC00070.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 124
Sexy as hell :D

You should go for the Microtech or something else over the Unichip though :)

Pic:1
My built short block takes a stand then I cleaned all the mating surfaces.

Pic:2
Soon after, Jacob, JJ and I began getting everything disconnected and before we knew it we hoisting out my stock motor and tranny. Jacob & JJ are the ones with there hands on the motor in the pic, they are the ones that are really putting in a lot of extra time and effort to help me get this swap done. The other two guys in the pic are Jake & Paul they also work at the shop with me and are helping out with the project. Without this kick-ass crew this project would probably not be possible.

Pic 3 & 4:
Just some pics of the stock motor and tranny out of the car.

Pic 5:
Took the valve cover off and found that everything looked nice and clean.

Attachments

• DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC00082.JPG
    DSC00082.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 140
khaosman said:
Sexy as hell :D

You should go for the Microtech or something else over the Unichip though :)

Only problem is that I need OBD2 capabilties in order to get tagged where I live. Sure there are some ways to get around it, but I'd like this to be completely legal if possible, eventhough I can't really believe that I'm saying that, lol.

Back