Differences Between MSP and non-MSP ECUs

fLyPiNoY7

Return of the Evil Monkey
:
2003 Sunlight Silver Protege5
can i get a definitive list of differences between the msp ecu and the non-msp ecu?...ive been hearing from a few people that it has provisions for controlling fuel in boost, while other people have told me it controls timing in boost

trying to see if it is possible to use the ss afc maps (written for the msps) with a non-msp ecu or will i have to modify the maps substantially

This has been beaten to death, but yes the AFC works on a non-msp ecu. I've done it, tons of others have done it...

This has been beaten to death, but yes the AFC works on a non-msp ecu. I've done it, tons of others have done it...

i know that...im running it on there right now...question is, can u throw on the maps created for the msps without any further modification to the maps?

i want to make sure that it can handle the msp maps without me having to compensate for something that the msp ecu has thats different from the non-msp ecu

The MSP ecu is designed for controlling boost. While the P5 ecu has more linear fuel maps and timing. If you are using the P5 ecu you will need a piggy back with timing control or a full standalone

If you use the afc the supermap will run like shut cause it's designed for the map ecu. When Iran the afc I made a completely custom map from scratch

afaik, the aem fic piggyback works with the msp and protege, god it works out flawlessly with my 626. if you got carb the it wont work.

If you use the afc the supermap will run like shut cause it's designed for the map ecu. When Iran the afc I made a completely custom map from scratch

i just finished flashing one of the custom maps onto the afc from the afc library...it works better now, but as ogsp5 said, no timing...

I didn't really understand that post, but the P5 ecu has much more advanced timing, and you'll need to create ytour own fuel map. Are you using the FTC or the PSC-1?

What's the issue here? The only difference between the MSP and non-MSP ECUs is that that MSP ECU is tuned to work with a turbocharged vehicle. There are no map sensors or anything like that, but as said above, it has a different timing map and a nonlinear fuel curve. You CANNOT use AFC maps made for the MSP ECU with a non-MSP ECU because they do the exact opposite of what you need them to do. For a MSP ECU you need to pull fuel because they run so God-awefully rich stock. Now for the non-MSP ECUs, though they still run rich, they were not programmed with turbocharging in mind. You will have to ADD fuel across the entire engine speed range. Now if you add timing into the equation with the FTC this still holds true. You can probably get away with adding a little timing with the MSP but you will definitely want to pull timing with a non-MSP ECU at WOT.

So to answer your question, yes, maps made for MSP ECUs will have to be substantially modified to work with a non-MSP ECU. I've said this many, many times in the AFC map library thread (to the point I've now stopped posting there) that you are better off just making your own map. No pre-made map will magically work perfectly for your setup!

OK just a plain question, so please no flames. If I was to remove my MSP ecu from my car and switch back to a P5 ecu, what would I need to run the car safely about 7psi using RC440 set at 30psi. I have a JP fcd. Will I need an 02 clamp ?

^^^ Nope. You have the SS AFC so all you'd need to do is make a completely new tune addng fuel instead of pulling it.

30psi is awfully low fuel pressure mate. I run close to 90psi under boost.

I didn't really understand that post, but the P5 ecu has much more advanced timing, and you'll need to create ytour own fuel map. Are you using the FTC or the PSC-1?

psc-1...i was saying that after i put one of the maps from the afc library onto my afc and richened it a little, the afrs are fine...but the timing is still bad since i cant tune for that

What's the issue here? The only difference between the MSP and non-MSP ECUs is that that MSP ECU is tuned to work with a turbocharged vehicle. There are no map sensors or anything like that, but as said above, it has a different timing map and a nonlinear fuel curve. You CANNOT use AFC maps made for the MSP ECU with a non-MSP ECU because they do the exact opposite of what you need them to do. For a MSP ECU you need to pull fuel because they run so God-awefully rich stock. Now for the non-MSP ECUs, though they still run rich, they were not programmed with turbocharging in mind. You will have to ADD fuel across the entire engine speed range. Now if you add timing into the equation with the FTC this still holds true. You can probably get away with adding a little timing with the MSP but you will definitely want to pull timing with a non-MSP ECU at WOT.

So to answer your question, yes, maps made for MSP ECUs will have to be substantially modified to work with a non-MSP ECU. I've said this many, many times in the AFC map library thread (to the point I've now stopped posting there) that you are better off just making your own map. No pre-made map will magically work perfectly for your setup!

no need for frustration, just a little info i needed in a hurry...but thanks though, thats just what i needed to know (i tried searching but searching "msp ecu" doesnt give me any results)

Last edited:
Yes you can, but there is reasons why some work over others. There are plenty of threads where myself and other people talk about that.

Back