Differences between 2010 and 2011 Mazdaspeed 3

So what are the differences between these two model years?

Can someone give me a list so I can decide on which to get?

Thanks

I test drove them both with in a week, and I have no proof, but I swear the clutch felt smoother on the 2011 and the steering wheel felt thicker. As far as factual, the only changes I have read are in regards to the tech pacakge. Its much improved for 2011, HID, lights that turn with you, and some other stuff.

my friend just ended up getting a leftover 2010 mazdaspeed3 for a few thousand less than a 2011. as far as he can tell, yes, the tech package is the difference.

Everyone here is correct...if you get a 2011 MS3 without the tech package, it is the exact same car as 2010. Only difference is tech package now includes adaptive HID, LED tails and rain sensing wipers. Still no moonroof option, which would be the ONLY reason I would ever have opted for an 11 over a 10. That problem was easily fixed with an aftermarket moonroof :)

IMHO, If you can find a leftover 2010 with tech package, take it off their hands for a good $2-3K off MSRP. Excellent DDM HID's can be had for well under $100 now, and i've always thought LED tail lights were WAY overrated as an option.

The rear headrests are different on the 2011... On the 2010 they form to the top of the seat and seat kinda flush as to not ruin your rearward visibility. Save money and get a 2010... that's what I did...

One is a 10' and the other is 11'.

trollface.jpg

The rear headrests are different on the 2011... On the 2010 they form to the top of the seat and seat kinda flush as to not ruin your rearward visibility.

Yep, rear headrest are different plus the carpet floormats have a red embroidered Mazdaspeed3 logo (at least the one at NAIAS did) instead of white like my '10

Save money and get a 2010... that's what I did...
I did that too! :)

the real difference is between the 08-09 years and the 10-11 years. the 10-11s are 1 sec slower than the 08-09s in the qtr and 0-60 times. the 11s make up for this somewhat in thier big improved handeling. way tighter turning ratio. smother over all ride. and better gas miledge. even though the fac. rates them the same.

but lets face it, the fun of these cars starts at 80 mph so you can ignore 0-60 or even the qtr. the 11s like more rpms than the 8s . the 11s have much longer legs in each gear. you have to hold longer before you shift.

I once saw a video of a drag race between 2 speed3's, 1st gen vs 2nd gen. The results were: 1st gen came in first place, quicker from 0-60. 2nd gen came in 2nd, but at a higher speed than the 1st gen.

1st gens are less limited on 1st and 2nd gear but have worse aerodynamics and suspension setup than the 2nd gen. They are quicker sprinters, but slower on the (very) long run...

Some numbers I found are:
0-60mph: 6.1 sec ('07-'09) - 6.3 sec ('10+)
1/4 mile: 14.1s@99.8mph ('07-'09) - 14.1s@101.3mph ('10+)

Theyre prety much the same as you can see...

Back 2 topic, the OP was about differences between 2nd gen speed, the best answer is:

Everyone here is correct...if you get a 2011 MS3 without the tech package, it is the exact same car as 2010. Only difference is tech package now includes adaptive HID, LED tails and rain sensing wipers

i too have had both 1st gen and now 2nd gen. i miss the acceleration of my 08. but i have learned a few tricks to compensate with the 11. in a heated competition drop 2 gears not one. and hold each gear much longer in the 11. it loves 6500 rpms

...it loves 6500 rpms

You think so? I drove the 1st gen for a week before deciding on buying the 2nd gen (and waiting for it to arrive to Mexico) so I dont really remember precisely how power dropped @high-RPM's, but it definetly feels a bit like that on the 2nd gen... IMO, it does drop pretty hard on the high range... is it that different from the 1st gen??? I cant really recall.

Thx for clearing it up!

1st off let me say both carsa are amazing. but the quickness of the 08 was off the charts. now that i have the 11 , and for some timre now, i still miss the 08s quiuckness. but the 11s handeling , overall ride, are so much improved. i love my 11. and lets face it , no mods are needed. i still havent hit 150 and believe me ive tried!!!!!!!!!!!!

You either had a super fast '08 or you have a really slow '11, because I can't really tell a difference at all. And they both lose power over 6,000 RPM without a tune. The power delivery seems to be smoother on the 2nd Gen, maybe that's why it feels so much slower to you?

Back