Did Mazda shoot themselves in the foot w/ill-conceived "2014" model year designation?

I. True, Mazda is offering deep incentives on the 2013 to compensate but are they really enough?

Yes whatever it was, because as of today in the largest metro area of northern California, the model year 2013 inventory is almost gone. Mission accomplished by Mazda again without Dodge/Ford/GM-like discounts.

Yes whatever it was, because as of today in the largest metro area of northern California, the model year 2013 inventory is almost gone. Mission accomplished by Mazda again without Dodge/Ford/GM-like discounts.

I don't know a ton about the auto industry, but do you think part of the difference here might be because Chrysler/Fiat, Ford and GM have bigger mark-ups? For them they can do big discounts and still be making profit. Does the Japanese manufacturers just not mark-up things quite as high? I have no idea as I have never seen the numbers but for example to get a Chevy Equinox with the same "luxury" items as the AWD CX-5 you are looking at ~36,000. For the Ford Escape it is about ~$33,000. I would love to see the real profit numbers. The CX-5 though surely is going to continue to be a profitable vehicle for Mazda.

^, MSRP's on many domestic vehicles are bloated badly, Ford Escape is a very good example.

I agree on the ridiculous-ness of hanging a 2014 model year on the revised CX-5. It started showing up only 2-3 weeks into 2013. I've never seen anyone ever say a car was the next year's model so early. These cars must have been built in 2012 to be on lots already. How can you build a 2014 vehicle in 2012?

Back