Decisions and Doubts

Kurbz

:
SilverP5 :D
OK so i recently lost my 03 cavalier z-type. A civic ran into the side of my car. (this has nothing to do with this car im staying away from gm :p)
And now for the past 3 weeks i have been searching and looking at many dealers and the web.
So i keep checking out P5's cause i like the look exterior and interior but im not to sure about the performance and reliability now your probably all on this forum cause you obiviously love the car lol. So out of all my searching ive seen quite a few rusty ones and some that have lots of potential and some very clean newer ones, like an 03 black with 64 000 km extremely clean leather interior, fully equipped with 4 winter tires and a set of the 03 chrome mags... for 8.5 thousand canadian.

So i just want to know your opinions on it's performance and your thoughts on your own car and if you would trade it for something else?
(And yes i have searched all over this forum and looked at peoples cars and everything) I just dont want to buy the wrong car like my last one.

reliability is great, i have yet to have any issues with it outside of 1 rust bubble on the one wheel well. it is probably one of the most reliable cars you can buy on the used car market.

performance depends on what you are looking for. the typical person who thinks performance is concerned with 0-60 times and so forth. this is the p5s biggest weakness, it is not fast by any means but it has more than enough pick up. its got some spirit but soccer moms in vans will prolly smoke you. but if you are more concerned with all around performace, this is where the p5 is a serious contender. stock it has very good handling and if you were to upgrade your suspension it takes it to a whole other level (think go-kart).

my biggest suggestion is to make sure it is a 5-speed, if it is a slush box auto the slowness factor is even greater (and mpg takes a dip too). overall it is hard to find a car in the compact segment that out performs and is more reliable than the p5 for the price.

Of course a 5 spd lol thats all have looked at never thought of ever getting a automatic. with a few mods it gets some good speed and accelaration? suggestions on mods?

no mods will make it fast without going turbo... seriously not even worth messing with NA... build it yourself and you can make a kit for less than 1300

As you mentionned, of course I love the P5. It's a real fun car to drive, handling is great and yup it misses straight line speed, but nobody's perfect hehe... well not for that kind of money! It's a reliable car, had to change the battery and a wheel bearing so far, but other than this, changing oil and adding gas in it, nothing at all! 5 spd is a must also

reliability is great, i have yet to have any issues with it outside of 1 rust bubble on the one wheel well. it is probably one of the most reliable cars you can buy on the used car market.

performance depends on what you are looking for. the typical person who thinks performance is concerned with 0-60 times and so forth. this is the p5s biggest weakness, it is not fast by any means but it has more than enough pick up. its got some spirit but soccer moms in vans will prolly smoke you. but if you are more concerned with all around performace, this is where the p5 is a serious contender. stock it has very good handling and if you were to upgrade your suspension it takes it to a whole other level (think go-kart).

my biggest suggestion is to make sure it is a 5-speed, if it is a slush box auto the slowness factor is even greater (and mpg takes a dip too). overall it is hard to find a car in the compact segment that out performs and is more reliable than the p5 for the price.

Eh I wouldn't go so far to say that is 100% true. I get the same gas mileage out of my MSP when I stay out of boost.

no mods will make it fast without going turbo... seriously not even worth messing with NA... build it yourself and you can make a kit for less than 1300

If he can come across a header for cheap or a reasonable price do it! I would do it again on my old auto p5. HUGE diff

If it means anything I miss my old auto p5! 170k miles went through 3 oil presure sensor, 1 wheel bearings, battery, and a trans going out when i traded it in.

Eh I wouldn't go so far to say that is 100% true. I get the same gas mileage out of my MSP when I stay out of boost.

im talking from hearing from others not personal experience, i mean i get 28 city now and thats in the freezing cold with the winter gas blend. ive heard people with autos get closer to 23-24 city. again each car is different, but when its 5 gears vs. 4 gears, ill put my money on the 5 gears getting better mileage.

im talking from hearing from others not personal experience, i mean i get 28 city now and thats in the freezing cold with the winter gas blend. ive heard people with autos get closer to 23-24 city. again each car is different, but when its 5 gears vs. 4 gears, ill put my money on the 5 gears getting better mileage.

i get on avg 24,25 with the MSP and my old P5

Before my P5, I had a 97 Thunderbird with the SOHC 4.6L V8. The car had plenty of power, but no handles. I occassionally miss the ability to stomp on the gas and bolt, but my P5 puts a smile on my face daily just taking everyday corners.

With the 5spd and the few mods I have, I am very happy with this car. In this used car segment and price range, I don't think there's anything close to the fun of a P5.

OK so i recently lost my 03 cavalier z-type. A civic ran into the side of my car. (this has nothing to do with this car im staying away from gm :p)
And now for the past 3 weeks i have been searching and looking at many dealers and the web.
So i keep checking out P5's cause i like the look exterior and interior but im not to sure about the performance and reliability now your probably all on this forum cause you obiviously love the car lol. So out of all my searching ive seen quite a few rusty ones and some that have lots of potential and some very clean newer ones, like an 03 black with 64 000 km extremely clean leather interior, fully equipped with 4 winter tires and a set of the 03 chrome mags... for 8.5 thousand canadian.

So i just want to know your opinions on it's performance and your thoughts on your own car and if you would trade it for something else?
(And yes i have searched all over this forum and looked at peoples cars and everything) I just dont want to buy the wrong car like my last one.

if you that kind of guy that likes driving a car hard and rough dont buy a protege5.....you might blow the engine.....i seen alot of people having engine problems with the p5 including me and i dont even drive hard.....

if you that kind of guy that likes driving a car hard and rough dont buy a protege5.....you might blow the engine.....i seen alot of people having engine problems with the p5 including me and i dont even drive hard.....

Most people who have issues with a NA protege is due to oil levels! I romped on my p5 everywhere I went just about. It seen redline or close at least 3 times a day if not more.

I second that, this is my second mazda, and my Miata saw the same spirited driving on a weekly basis and the buyers compression test and inspection couldn't find a single issue.....here's a secret...

you have to spend money to keep your car functional and fun. I don't skimp on any maintenance and the car, in return, has given me no issues.

I am gonna say this If you can find a clean 03 P5 with only 64,000 Kilometers with leather and the Chrome wheels plus winters, give the man the money and run like hell with it cause it is a steal at that price.

Pat.

Alright well thanks alot guys for making my desiscion easier its alot more then i was planning on spending but it seems so worth it. Ill get some pics and post them up when i get it

He won't be sorry. I can't believe how hooked I am on this car, and its a lot less peppy than I wanted....BUT...it handles/looks/runs and drives great. Just completed a 1200 mile road trip and couldn't of been happier.

Back