Dealer trying to keep my deposit!!!!!!!

Damm and i was going to check this dealer out for the speed6, guess I might rethink it. Not too many authorized speed dealers around.

Topher said:
wow, n/m...i don't blame them...and i'm sure you wouldn't either if the shoe was on the other foot, but i'm in the car business...so i guess i'm an asshole for saying that :(

you have to look at it from their side too...if you were selling, let's say a house...someone put a contract on it...and backed-out...you get their binding money...or whatever it's called...it's been a long time since i bought a house...but it's the same difference. you had taken your house off of the market for that person...same with this car.

you may get your money back...but in all honesty, you really can't blame the dealer at all. you made the commitment.
Even when buying a house you have time to back out after all things are settled. You pay a $75 fee. That gives you the option to back out for any reason. So if this or any dealer keeps your money they are dicks.

i gave a guy and his wife back 5k deposit on our house...i hadevery right to keep it, not worth the headache and drama! the dealer will have no problem moving the ms3

Sorry to hear that your dealer is being a DICK.

The MS3 will not be in his shop any longer than 3 Days so I don't know what his problem is.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it. This is my first new car buying experience and its been complete :bs: . I wrote to mazda yesterday to see if there was anything they could do.

The thing that sux is that I was never told before putting the deposit that I was "ordering" the vehicle. If I was told than I can understand their position. This was an oversight on the dealers part and one that I should not have to pay for.(btw the deposit was 500) It just doesn't seem legal to me. These guys are persistent and will not budge. I told him the car will sell, so why put me through this, but he replied that I will not get my deposit back until the car sells. I was told that the vehicle will be here in december, too long of a wait for me, especially if I'm looking into getting a speed6. I will release the name of the dealer when this thing gets resolved, I won't let you guys get screwed too, thanks again.

Why don't you ask them if you can put the deposit towards a speed 6. Contesting a charge on your card can take 2 months, so if you want to go that route you may want to get started.

dread said:
Why don't you ask them if you can put the deposit towards a speed 6. Contesting a charge on your card can take 2 months, so if you want to go that route you may want to get started.

I refuse to give these guys my business. It's looking like i'm gonna wait until they sell the car to get my deposit back.

The sister store to my work had custom ordered a car for customer that piled on the options. He also ordered it triple green. It was a 911 convertable, green exterior, green top, green interior. I think it stickered for over $105k. Car shows up exactly like the customer wanted. The guy takes a look at it and decides he doesn't want it. Now with the options and color combo this guy made the dealer is stuck with basically a car they can only sell if they heavily discount it to the point of a complete loss. So yeah they kept the guys deposit on it cause they knew they'd loose trying to sell it.

They may not have "special ordered" it for you but instead took a car that they were going to get and changed it to what you wanted. Depending on what you wanted might make that car harder to sell cause of certain options, or color. Add to that how many 06 MS6's that are still sitting the dealer is playing it safe incase the car you wanted does sit for a long time or if they have to really discount it to sell it. Is it right? No cause it creates bad faith between you and the dealer. To go out and test beat the car and purposely cause the car damage is just stupid and childish. No I am not a car salesman, but I do see boths sides of things.

psi365 said:
The sister store to my work had custom ordered a car for customer that piled on the options. He also ordered it triple green. It was a 911 convertable, green exterior, green top, green interior. I think it stickered for over $105k. Car shows up exactly like the customer wanted. The guy takes a look at it and decides he doesn't want it. Now with the options and color combo this guy made the dealer is stuck with basically a car they can only sell if they heavily discount it to the point of a complete loss. So yeah they kept the guys deposit on it cause they knew they'd loose trying to sell it.

They may not have "special ordered" it for you but instead took a car that they were going to get and changed it to what you wanted. Depending on what you wanted might make that car harder to sell cause of certain options, or color. Add to that how many 06 MS6's that are still sitting the dealer is playing it safe incase the car you wanted does sit for a long time or if they have to really discount it to sell it. Is it right? No cause it creates bad faith between you and the dealer. To go out and test beat the car and purposely cause the car damage is just stupid and childish. No I am not a car salesman, but I do see boths sides of things.

In a case like yours I can see the dealer making you put down a deposit. But I also bet your dealer has some clause in it stating that if you back out they get to keep your money. Your not talking about s 20k mazda here, so things are different.

In his case on what info he has given us there is no reason why they should keep the deposit. The options listed are ones that just about everyone wants. Most people dont care about color anyways. I wanted the blue pro but they didnt have one so I got green. My point, they can sell the car. They are going to have to discount them anyways, they will not sell that many for 24+k.

If you didn't sign anything, then you can get your money back. But often times, when you sign something, it will be contingent on financing, or on your trade in value of the car you are gettin rid of. You could have them draft all the paperwork up and then tell them it is just not going to work. They have to give you your money back, unless you signed something explicitly stating that it is completely non refundable.

Newf said:
Did you sign ANYTHING?
I didn't sign anything, all communication was done through email and the deposit was put down over the phone. The phone conversation did not include anything regarding the deposit being refundable or not. This may be my first experience with buying a new car, but I know what I heard from the dealer and what I said.

contest through the CC company, you paid for something you didn't recieve simple as that

if they hold your deposit until the car sells make them pay for the interest that you got during that time as well

i think a simple call from your CC company to the dealership will get that deposit back fast though

NoRotor said:
contest through the CC company, you paid for something you didn't recieve simple as that

if they hold your deposit until the car sells make them pay for the interest that you got during that time as well

i think a simple call from your CC company to the dealership will get that deposit back fast though

Sent out a dispute fax to my CC company. Gonna see how long that takes. Interesting point about that interest, I never thought about it like that. Your right, my money isn't doing anything in their hands. Hopefully I hear from the cc company soon.

Thanks for all the comments and support. Not trying to revive an old thread just wanted to give an update to those interested.

Update: Received a full refund of my deposit from my credit card company a couple weeks back. Have not heard anything from the dealer. Anyone interested in the name of the Connecticut dealer send me a pm. Once again thanks.

It's amazing to me how far some of these folks will go to push you into a car. I remember looking at a Taurus SHO several years ago. It was used, I had put money down on it and had taken it for the night per my agreement with the dealer to take a extended test drive. When I returned the car deciding not to purchase after all, the used car manager would not return my deposit telling me I had taken possession of the car. I tried to clarify what had occurred and he contnued to be an ass. He argued with me....it was so unprofessional. I went right into the main building to speak with the manager of the dealership who agreed to give me the deposit back.

Bottom line: do not ever put a cent down on a car until you are comfortable with the purchase and everything is finalized as much as it can be. HA, here I am typing this with a deposit down on MS3 due to arrive in late January!

Back