Dealer sold me a 3rd party warranty, thought it was a mazda warranty.

dougtx

I bought a 2010 CX-9 GT w/bose/moonroof/navigation (guess kinda introducting myself here) a few days ago. In the finance process, I was offered an extended warranty, which being that I was in a mazda dealer, and the way the finance person was talking about it, I assumed was a mazda factory warranty extension. Of course we all know what assumtion does, but really the last thing in my mind was that this was some 3rd party warranty.

That said, we figured we would add on the warranty, which made it 60/60000 bumper to bumper instead of 3/36k.

Now had I been more diligent, I would have really looked at all the paperwork, and scrutinized the claims, but of course it was getting late, and I was tired from quite a few hours in the dealership...being under the impression it was a mazda corporation warranty extension, I signed, and closed the deal.

So the other day I finally open up all the paperwork and start looking over it, and realize at the top it says "Preferred Warranty", do a little googling, and indeed find that this is some 3rd party operation, with a very hard to find website, which is very unprofessional, and looks really shady. Most of the site is dedicated to talking about how they help dealers "maximize profit", etc.

http://www.sgifs.com/Contents/products_vehicle_service_contracts.aspx

So obviously I am a bit irked by this, and plan to cancel this warranty and get all my money back.

Yes, I shoulder much of the blame, because I should not sign anything without heavily scrutinizing it, but it was a lesson learned.

Has anyone else run into this with dealers trying to sell 3rd party warranty contracts on new vehicles?

One other thing, I found later that each use of the warranty is a $100 deductible, and the rental car coverage that the dealer mentioned is only 5 days at $30 a day. If this was a factory warranty, it would be a little bit pricey but palatable, the reality makes it a major rip off.

Sounds like they pulled a fast one on you. Sorry to hear that.

How long ago did you purchase the vehicle and 3rd party warranty?
I'm unsure of what your options are for getting a refund and my first thought is the dealer will give you the run around and try to deny a refund.

All I can say is that you can get the Mazda Added Protection extended warranty at any time as long as you're within your original Bumper-to-Bumper warranty (3 years).
The only difference is you may have to pay extra for any mileage you have put on the vehicle.

The warranty says I can get a full refund if I cancel within 60 days, and so did the dealer. Really, the sales pitch gave me absolutely no reason to think that this was NOT a mazda warranty. I WILL be getting my money back.

You are right to be skeptical of 3rd party warranties. Regardless of the quality of their coverage, people often do not correctly assess the 3-6 years of credit risk they take when prepaying the warranty and hoping the company is still solvent when they make a claim.

Yes, I am very skeptical. Also, I am the type of person that never buys warranties for ANYTHING. Though since this car is for my wife, I thought I could save the hassle of having to "deal with it" if anything went wrong...mazda extended warranty, sign me up. But no way in hell am I interested in dealing with a third party.

Ah, I just reread your post and the vehicle only being a few days old, you should have no problems getting your money back.

Funny enough, many of the warranties that Mazda pushes are third party warranties; as a matter of fact the dealership where I purchased my car asked me warranty I had when I went in last time. Both of the options they gave me were third party warranties.

Also when buying the extended warranty they fail to tell you until you go to exercise it that, oh by the way, if it is an item covered under the warranty then you pay the first $100, if not then you suck up the cost, of which you will also be out the diagnostic cost when they find out what the non-coverable issue is.

I am sure you will be able to get your money back although the dealer will probably give you the run around in trying to do it.

My dealer tried to sell me the extended warranty as well... I let him go through his spiel (blah) knowing that I was going to say no to it but I was polite and heard him out then I said no thanks... He then told me that I needed to sign a document indicating that I said no to the extended warranty and I told him no again (no) LOL The look on his face when I told him no the second time was priceless... It's all dealer/finance manager tactics to try to make some money for them off of selling you the extended warranty... I guess you can't blame them for trying to make some money but some of the tactics they use are downright terrible.

We got an extended warranty for my wife's CX-9. It now has over 10k miles in 7 months as she is now driving all over the place for work! The warranty was 7/72k, but I wish I never got it due to the speed that she is putting miles on it.

Anyway, to your point, when I looked through the paperwork, it was an Easy Care warranty, which Ford/Mercury/Lincoln uses as well. The guy said I can bring it to any Ford dealer in addition to any Mazda dealer. Also, the one thing I picked up on when I read through my paperwork was that they forgot to check off the box that stated AWD. This voided the warranty! I went back and told them about it, they fixed it, and showed me in their system that is was fixed. How much do I hate dealerships...(eekfu)

We bought one through our dealership as well, I think the same one, but we canceled it quite quickly. Once I got home and read the paperwork, I realized that is was way over priced. I added extended warranty protection through my insurance company that is cheaper and lasts longer.

As for the dealership, it took some work to find the right person to cancel the warranty, but I did. She told me that I would get a call from the Finance Manager trying to change my mind but I told the girl it was a waste of time. I never heard from the Finance Manager and got my refund.

...He then told me that I needed to sign a document indicating that I said no to the extended warranty...

Technically, all dealership need you to sign this doc. if you are denying the extended warranty insurance because people have sued dealerships stating that they were never offered an extended warranty. So that doc. you sign is just stating that you were offered one but declined. Its just as "CYA" doc. for the dealership.

I got in touch with the finance guy today, and inquired about what I need to do to cancel. I was told all I need to do is come into the dealership and fill out a cancelation form. He seemed none to happy, and said that it is a dealership warranty, and is backed by all dealers in the US. He asked why I would buy it, and then turn around and cancel it, and I explained I was interested in a mazda warranty not a third party warranty. Maybe it is a good warranty, and maybe I seem like a mad person for canceling it within a week, and I can understand the frustration being the fairly light sales of vehicles right now, and that the warranty was a major profit piece of the deal for the dealership, but I don't feel it is in my best interests to keep it.

He did say that mazda factory warranty would not be a "wrap warranty", and would be far more expensive. Can anyone give me an idea of what a mazda factory extended warranty costs?

Thanks

We got an extended warranty for my wife's CX-9. It now has over 10k miles in 7 months as she is now driving all over the place for work! The warranty was 7/72k, but I wish I never got it due to the speed that she is putting miles on it.

Anyway, to your point, when I looked through the paperwork, it was an Easy Care warranty, which Ford/Mercury/Lincoln uses as well. The guy said I can bring it to any Ford dealer in addition to any Mazda dealer. Also, the one thing I picked up on when I read through my paperwork was that they forgot to check off the box that stated AWD. This voided the warranty! I went back and told them about it, they fixed it, and showed me in their system that is was fixed. How much do I hate dealerships...(eekfu)

How come your wife has the better car? (uhm) (confused)

You can still cancel and receive a pro-rated refund. You could get about 6/7 of your money back.

Note that even the Mazda Extended Protection Plan (MEPP) is Administered through a 3rd party (APCO).

Back