Dealer extended warranty. Worth it?

Interesting. I had not heard about CX-9's having as many issues as CX-5's. I wonder if it will go anywhere.

Interesting. I had not heard about CX-9's having as many issues as CX-5's. I wonder if it will go anywhere.
It’s the same 2.5T engine and the CX-9 has it since 2016 MY but the CX-5 has featured it as an option since 2019 MY.

As the matter of fact, Gen-2 CX-9 since 2016 MY shared many design concept and parts with CX-5, hence they share many common problems.

I knew that. Mazda just smartly started offering the turbo in most of their platforms. Great idea to spread costs. I had only heard about issues in the CX-5 turbos which was strange to me. I figured the CX-9 would have had issues a long time ago with the engine being used years before.

The Mazda 10 year/125k mile (~201k km) extended “powertrain only” might be a good piece of mind

I thought those only ran like $1200 or so

I might consider this if I pick up a CX-70 PHEV..as I don’t rack up miles so the years would be more important.

IMG_2244.jpeg
IMG_2245.jpeg

MPP_VSA_Powertrain_eBrochure-page-001.jpg
MPP_VSA_Powertrain_eBrochure-page-002.jpg
MPP_VSA_Powertrain_eBrochure-page-003.jpg
MPP_VSA_Powertrain_eBrochure-page-004.jpg
MPP_VSA_Powertrain_eBrochure-page-005.jpg
MPP_VSA_Powertrain_eBrochure-page-006.jpg

Last edited:
I knew that. Mazda just smartly started offering the turbo in most of their platforms. Great idea to spread costs. I had only heard about issues in the CX-5 turbos which was strange to me. I figured the CX-9 would have had issues a long time ago with the engine being used years before.
Yes the CX-9 has been using the 2.5T since 2016, but sells a lot less than the CX-5, but there’re still quite a few reports on cracked cylinder head which takes a while to expose the head design weakness. If you go to our CX-9 Powertrain forum, the top 4 discussions are cracked head related thread on CX-9:

CX-9 2.5T Cracked Cylinder Head/Leaking Coolant Report to the NHTSA

CX-9 2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

CX-9 Cracked cylinder head while stationed overseas

CX-9 2021 CX-9 Low coolant, does this year have the head defect?

The Mazda 10 year/125k mile (~201k km) extended “powertrain only” might be a good piece of mind

I thought those only ran like $1200 or so

I might consider this if I pick up a CX-70 PHEV..as I don’t rack up miles so the years would be more important.

View attachment 327921View attachment 327922
Great idea. Didn't know it existed.

Where are you seeing 10yr/125k in the link you posted? I couldn't find it anywhere in the document.

Where are you seeing 10yr/125k in the link you posted? I couldn't find it anywhere in the document.
It's not in the link but I've seen it in some other links, there's a link from Forbes that deep dives the Mazda extended warranty. It mentions the 10 yr/125k warranty.

I guess since Mazda joined Toyota there's a push to sell ext warranties.

I have a 2021 CX-5 grand touring premium. Currently 25k miles on it. Would the extended drive train warranty be a total of ten years, including the 60k/6 yr original warranty?

I have a 2021 CX-5 grand touring premium. Currently 25k miles on it. Would the extended drive train warranty be a total of ten years, including the 60k/6 yr original warranty?
10 yrs from the date of purchase or 125k miles, whichever comes first.
The orginal warranty is 5yr/60k miles.

Remember also you need to be within 36k miles AND 36 months of your date of purchase to buy the new car extended warranty. After that you're buying used car warranties which come with different (higher) premiums.

Would the 10/125 warranty be cheaper when the car was purchased new vs if you buy it with 25k and 2 yrs on the car (I guess everything is negotiable)? My 21 has 26k and is coming up on 3 yrs so I need to buy it in the next week if I want it.

Remember also you need to be within 36k miles AND 36 months of your date of purchase to buy the new car extended warranty. After that you're buying used car warranties which come with different (higher) premiums.
Good to know. My 36 months runs out this July. Thank you!

Would the 10/125 warranty be cheaper when the car was purchased new vs if you buy it with 25k and 2 yrs on the car (I guess everything is negotiable)? My 21 has 26k and is coming up on 3 yrs so I need to buy it in the next week if I want it.
No, the main factor is if you are still under the 3/36 which allows you to buy the new extended service contract VS a used extended service contract. The only price fluctuating would be due to inflation during the first 3 years since in service delivery date.

If anyone would like the contact info for the cheap dealer that I purchased my own genuine Mazda oem extended contract from, please message me. I have no affiliation to them. I have extensively researched prices from legit no hassle dealers and just trying to help save others $$$.

I'm calling tomorrow. Powertrain runs out in 4 months and I was going to replace the vehicle. It's been great, zero problems and I don't really want to get rid of it with only 47,000 miles.
Usually you can’t get a factory extended warranty once the factory standard warranty runs out. Powertrain is excluded. At least that’s how Honda does it. You would have had to extended it before 3/36.

Back