Dashhawk measure boost?

It's really not bad. No harder to read than your other instruments.

Yeah i'm just being extra picky, and especially bitter that I'm not just going with gauges in the center of the dash.

If only:

-they made red gauges with white needles..
-they didn't cost so much..
-they actually logged data..

..then i'd be going with unoriginalusername's setup of Maddad gauges and center pod. But $299>$600+, and Functionality>Looks bad ass.

Tonight was my first experience with the Dashhawk.

It holds amazing potential for displaying tons of data and logging it as well.

My concerns:

-I found it extremely difficult to read at a glance at night, no matter what color combo I used. That's why I had asked earlier about inverting the colors. Red #'s with a black background would be easier to read at night vs. red background with black numbers.

-It's kinda hard to monitor your car when you're trying to haul ass in a suburban area. Cops, kids, random things to come out of anywhere. I don't know how i'd watch it even if I had normal gauges. The ONE chance I got to watch it, I only hit 10psi in 3rd gear and that was around 4000 rpms before I shut it down. Doubling my speed limit to check my turbo's output = not worth it.

I'm really just interested in making sure my car is making the right amount of HP and PSI. Other than that, I watched my IAT #'s hover at exactly 5 degree's higher than the current outdoor temperature.

Tonight was my first experience with the Dashhawk.

It holds amazing potential for displaying tons of data and logging it as well.

I got mine today as well (had to go pick it up from UPS) and spent just a few minutes playing around with it and then took a quick drive on I-95 to do some data logging. I logged RPM, AFR, IAT, Boost PSI, and Boost Temp. I am very happy with the purchase. I plan to do some more tweaking/configuring this weekend and hopefully do some more interstate driving.

If I had to complain, its that it doesn't seem you are able to config the unit unless it is plugged into the car. It would be nice to get it configured while sitting at my desk... oh well.

What is also great is that I can pull this out my car, and plug it into just about any other new car and do the same stuff (sensors permitting of course.)

Obviously, not a power mod, but certainly worth it in my opinion!

Yeah it's definitely worth it, especially if you can find one for $150 on the forums like someone else was selling one for. A boost gauge alone would be around that much with parts and whatnot.

I also thought about getting a Aeroforce gauge. It does 2 parameters at a time which is fine for me, and I believe it also does log.

**EDIT** seems that you'd have to get a boost/vac sensor kit for the Aeroforce, as it does not list it as a standard option with just plugging one into the MS3. Guess that sucks..

Last edited:
What kind of PSI #'s are you guys seeing? I'm barely touching 14psi before it tapers off to 12psi in 3rd gear winding it up to 5500rpms.

does this also measure whether or not you have a boost leak or compressor surge? I don't know what psi/adjustment of the bov/bpv produces surge so just wondering what the dashhawk might tell you about that.

I assume for boost leaking if you floored it and watched the dashhawk if the numbers started dropping (after your spike settles of course) then i guesd at that point you would know if you had a leak

it doesn't seem you are able to config the unit unless it is plugged into the car. It would be nice to get it configured while sitting at my desk... oh well.

Sure you can, you have software version 2.5? Click on SETTING on the main page of the software. You have access of all the possible settings

Yeah it's definitely worth it, especially if you can find one for $150 on the forums like someone else was selling one for. A boost gauge alone would be around that much with parts and whatnot.

I also thought about getting a Aeroforce gauge. It does 2 parameters at a time which is fine for me, and I believe it also does log.

**EDIT** seems that you'd have to get a boost/vac sensor kit for the Aeroforce, as it does not list it as a standard option with just plugging one into the MS3. Guess that sucks..

The Aeroforce does display boost based on the stock MAP sensor and barometer as stated on the website. It also has analog inputs for external sensors.

Todd

If I had to complain, its that it doesn't seem you are able to config the unit unless it is plugged into the car. It would be nice to get it configured while sitting at my desk... oh well.

You can fully configure the DH from the desktop software. This all screens, colors, alerts and logging parameters. Just click on the Settings button on the software. I've attached a screenshot of the settings window. Its SOOO much easier to set it up on the PC than in the car.

And here is a post I made a long time ago with a mounting spot that doesn't block the speedo and a short video. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3372217&postcount=31

And some better mounting shots from another user
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123695546

Attachments

• DH_settings.jpg
    DH_settings.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 159
Yeah I eventually figured it out; just hadn't played around enough with the software.

I put my DH in a similar place. However, I am using a 'sticky pad' instead of actually mounting it.

Yeah I eventually figured it out; just hadn't played around enough with the software.

I put my DH in a similar place. However, I am using a 'sticky pad' instead of actually mounting it.

Same here. I had to use a different adhesive pad since the little velcro thing that came with it couldn't hold up to the heat.

Glad to hear you figured out the software. It makes it a million times easier to setup and change.

Back