Dashhawk measure boost?

AutoEuphoria

:
'08 CPW Mazdaspeed 3
I had one for my old GTO (my friend Chris actually helped write the programming for them :) ), but that was NA. I ended up selling it with the car, but I was thinking about getting another one for this one. I was just wondering if it measures boost...I know that it has that as an option, but I didn't know if it actually worked in the MS3.

Where does the actual boost get measured at? i have not looked at all the vacuum lines yet. I really need a shop manual

Yeah, it reads it through the OBD2 thing...I just wasn't sure if boost was one of the parameters shown with the MS3...thanks, this helps out a TON.

if you car has a factory map sensor the DH will read that to display boost.

Harry

Z, ok. You said if.. I see the maf sensor on the cold air. May I pm you on this? bear in mind I have lots of questions and I am not that sharp. sorry to stray, auto euphoria

Auto -- Chris White aka GTPrix? I know him as well! I never bought one for my 05 GTO, but considered it, especially when I had my TBSS and was curious just how much drivetain loss I had.

I was actually considering calling him and seeing if he'd hook it up for me. Let's order a pair and see if he can't give us a special option, especially since we're local (MI).

Yup, Chris is a good friend of mine. He tuned my '06 GTO, and I bought a Dash Hawk from him. He used to go to Northwood up here in Midland, and was pretty well-known in the car circles up here when he had his GTP. He's a really great guy :)

You have a PM!

Z, ok. You said if.. I see the maf sensor on the cold air. May I pm you on this? bear in mind I have lots of questions and I am not that sharp. sorry to stray, auto euphoria

i said MAP sensor not MAF. That being said - YES we also have a MAP sensor so the DH will read boost.

Harry

for anyone who used a piggy back system or MBC with MAP clamp, the boost reading will be wrong. It shows what the ECU sees and not actual.

Yup, Chris is a good friend of mine. He tuned my '06 GTO, and I bought a Dash Hawk from him. He used to go to Northwood up here in Midland, and was pretty well-known in the car circles up here when he had his GTP. He's a really great guy :)

You have a PM!

His GTP was a MONSTER! I remember when we were on Gratiot cruising, and his fuel line busted. He was leaking gas all over the place, it was pretty crucial. We had pulled over and had tried to fix it on the side of the road. I think that was when his car was sc'd and intercooled.

You said if, and now I realize we are stock tuned for both inputs to ecu map and maf. I had heard that the best standalone tune should be based map sensor. i have a three bar sensor on the coffe table but will that do me any good with this car?

OK, got my DashHawk yesterday...this was my second unit, but I had a Gen 1 before (in my GTO).

One thing to remember: Do NOT install the software that comes with it (on a CD). Download the newest software from their website, and install that instead. It won't allow you to "update" the software to the newest version, so you'll have to uninstall the first one to put on the new one anyway. As soon as you have the software installed, plug the DashHawk into your computer and update it (click Upgrade and choose the file present).

You will not be able to measure boost with the original firmware...it's not even on the list of parameters. Once you update the firmware, you can get a better range of selectable colors (goes from % red, blue, green to 0-255 scale for each), and an easier interface that categorizes the different parameters. It also puts in the boost gauge parameter (boost/vacuum).

It also comes with a little stand that you can place right on your steering column. It does block the lower half of the speedometer, but you can get around this by either mounting it in a different spot, or do what I did and just have the speed displayed on the DashHawk.

I'll take a picture tonight if I have time.

Quick picture:

DashHawk1sm.jpg

Last edited:
You can up the contrast, but you can't invert the colors. It's actually really easy to read...you can also fiddle with the colors and have it a bit easier to read (you can make it close to white, or green...both very visible at night)

Back