Damn Cel: P0503

1sty

Contributor
:
2006 Toyota Tundra DC
This is the second time my car has thrown a cel for a code not listed in the 2002 protege manual!
If anyone has the correct manual can you please look up the code and possily email me the diagnostic procedure.
I know its for the speed sensor but thats it!
cwiley@viewcom.com

i have the service manuel for 2001 proteges,i cant look at it right now because i'm in class, but when i get home i'll check it for you.

Thanks man, it should be the VSS but I can't be sure becuse the 2002 has different codes and thats all I have the manual for.

What's up, man. From About.com website (where I go):

"P0503: Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent/Erratic/High"

P0500 thru 0503 are all related to the Veh speed sensor. Let me say I have NO idea how that could be caused, unless you just have a short somewhere. It's a start.

FYI, here's the website:

http://www.autorepair.about.com/library/ts/bl-obd-main.htm

Weird on the way home form autozone the damn thing just went off.
I think its just another WTF curtisy of my turbo/alternator combo.

The manual only shows a connection fromt eh VSS to the PCM and nothing else. The VSS is listed as being just in the dash cluster. so its like the PCM tells the speedometer the speed but thats it. It all works so WTF.

That would be the sensor that talks to the speedometer. How this messes up, I have no idea. I doubt, however, that it is the sensor itself. I'm still betting on a short. I say this because here are the other three codes related to the VSS:

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
P0501 Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance
P0502 Vehicle Speed Sensor Low Input

So a sensor specifically giving an "intermittent/erratic" signal (or high) would seem to be an electronic issue, not the sensor itself. Does that make sense at all?

Last edited:
I doubt it a short at the sensor itself as the speedometer has been fine and its about the only part of the car i haven't F-D with.
mybe it was just feeling neglected.
Its off for now and this isn't the first time a weird voltage was detected by the computer. I don't think the PCM likes my alternators 15 volt charge

sorry bro, my manual jumps from p0500 to p0506, but from what it looks like on the p0500 blyzoo is right. sorry about that, i must need a update for my manual or something.

1st MP3 in NH said:
I doubt it a short at the sensor itself as the speedometer has been fine and its about the only part of the car i haven't F-D with.
mybe it was just feeling neglected.
Its off for now and this isn't the first time a weird voltage was detected by the computer. I don't think the PCM likes my alternators 15 volt charge
Oh yeah, I forgot you got that (100W?) aftermarket alternator in there. Perhaps beefing up your fuses might be a good idea. You can also install an in-line surge protector in the wiring that is giving you the problem.

blynzoo said:
Oh yeah, I forgot you got that (100W?) aftermarket alternator in there. Perhaps beefing up your fuses might be a good idea. You can also install an in-line surge protector in the wiring that is giving you the problem.

(rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl)
That was good. 100 watts.
Ok first its 2700 watts capable! 15 volts, 180 amps.
Next I already have a factory wiring upgraded to 1/0 power cables and the fuse for the audio system is a 300 amp ANL as is the one for the car..

Latest posts

Back