CX-7 iPod Solution - sorry not for Nav

stangmatt66

:
2004 Mazda RX-8 & 2005 Toyota Prius
Hey everyone,

I have this iPod solution installed in my RX-8 and I am VERY impressed by it. You can control track and fast forward/reverse via the radio and steering wheel controls while retaining full control over the iPod interface to select playlists, albums, etc. The only downside is track information is not displayed on the radio and this system is not available for CX-7s with Nav.

It works with all dock-connector iPods. Shuffle's might be able to use this connector to make this system work.

Audio Link iPod Integration Kit

audiolink-ipod_pic1.jpg

uhhh how about I buy the one from MAZDA instead of that cheap looking thing?

I have the mp3/usb version of it in my car. Works great and excellent service from them too. I simply plug a thumb drive into it that has my mp3's on it. Easy to install, 20mins tops. Mine has a mini jack on it as well so I can plug anything into it.

*Warning for those considering the Mazda iPod connector*

Now that I've had the iPod connector in the CX-7 for a few months its time for an update. Initial Thoughts: Besides being extremely expensive the controls are very clumsy. Because you can't control the scroll wheel, you have to do everything one step at a time. In order to go from say "Abba" to "Metallica", you need to push the up button on the steering wheel controls about 100 times to get through all the artists from (B-L). And if you have more than one CD by the same artist, you have to forward through each song, one at a time to get to the second CD - what a pain not to mention how much of a distraction it is while driving.

After several months of use I can now report that the device has stopped working properly. It now advances through artists at random. Want to get to an artist starting with the letter "K" - good luck! You basically have to keep pressing forward till you're lucky enough to get it by accident. So after several hundred dollars its basically good for nothing except charging the device.

I just bought the Monster inCarPlay FM device and am much happier (not with sound quality but hey, at least it does what its supposed to)!!!

The iPod adapter I talked about in this thread does not lock the scroll wheel or screen so you can still use the iPod's menus to select your music. You can also change songs by using the radio and steering wheel controls.

While it's not available for the Nav system, anyone with Satellite should ALSO be aware that you have to disconnect your Factory Satellite Radio to connect this (or the crappy Mazda one). Until Mazda comes out with some kind of splitter (similar to what they have for the Mazda 3) you can't have direct input iPod AND Satellite Radio.

Have I mentioned how much this pisses me off? ;)

Spoke to someone today, adn I was told they are still tersting the iPod adapter for the NAV., they want to make sure it won't interfere with the NAV. system.

Mix... same here... but let me tell you there are some things that irk me about that too... but I"ll start a new post on it :)

Has anyone with the factory NAV system been brave enough to remove the head unit to see what is behind there and if there are any potential inputs for an iPod solution. Perhaps, the Media button is a dummy. What about using the SAT input if you don't have SAT radio ?

Finally, what is offered on the CX-9 with NAV ???

Thom_y said:
Has anyone with the factory NAV system been brave enough to remove the head unit to see what is behind there and if there are any potential inputs for an iPod solution. Perhaps, the Media button is a dummy. What about using the SAT input if you don't have SAT radio ?

Finally, what is offered on the CX-9 with NAV ???
A FU%^ING Aux. Port !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CXRabbit said:
Mix - don't I know it and I screamed a "FU%^ING A!!" when I read the specs!
LOLOLOL. Maybe if by the time the 2008 CX-7 comes out AND there still isn't a iPod solution for US with NAV and IF they are offering a aux imput in the 2008 we can all bumbard them with emails and calls to get it swapped out into our cars !!!!!

LOL... I don't know I"ll hold out that long. By THEN they'll be dash kits available and don't kid yourself, I'll rip the whole system out! :D

Back