CX-7 CAI at SEMA...

5280_CX-7

:
Liquid Platinum CX-7, AWD
Check it out! look what was at SEMA...

DSC00551_edited_JPG.jpg

That's right... a brand new Cold Air Intake. P/N: GRMS-8M-L29.

Very good looking, but wow, that sits very low. I assume behind the fog light? Anyway, I'd say 10hp at best and $300....at least until demand increases?!?!

OKAY, stupid question time....I don't know mych about engines & things like that....IS a CAI safe for all driving conditions....I.e...Can I put a CAI on my CX-7 if it is a daily driver? what about rain, puddles, dirt roads? do you have to clean it?, does it need extra maintence?....\\

Can someone help me understand???

wolfie81 said:
OKAY, stupid question time....I don't know mych about engines & things like that....IS a CAI safe for all driving conditions....I.e...Can I put a CAI on my CX-7 if it is a daily driver? what about rain, puddles, dirt roads? do you have to clean it?, does it need extra maintence?....\\

it depends on how low it is, how enclosed it is and such, but generaly weather driving it still okay(not really reccomended though..), just avoid large puddles if the filter isn't enclosed in plastic much and you'll be fine. You have to clean the filter a little more often than a conventional filter of course, since it's lower to the ground and is going to be filtering more dirt and water. Other than that, no extra maintence.

I still drive my protege with a CAI in light rain if I have to, but I try not to.

If you get water in it....SAY BYE BYE to your WARRANTY, my friend is the service manager for MAZDA, and he said not to do it, that he has seen a couple of people of the years VOID THEIR WARRANTY. (On Mazda6s)

mixmasterlove said:
If you get water in it....SAY BYE BYE to your WARRANTY, my friend is the service manager for MAZDA, and he said not to do it, that he has seen a couple of people of the years VOID THEIR WARRANTY. (On Mazda6s)
the CAI on the MS3 and MS6 don't void the warranty because it's factory installed... neither will this one.. :rolleyes:

so what do you do if you are driving your car with a CAI & it starts pouring on you...do you stop on the side of the road, kinda sounds stupid.... Would I need to take it off in the winter when it is 20 degrees out???

SO based on the above picture from SEMA, if MS was to release this for the CX-7, would it be safe to put on a car that is daily driven keeping in mind I live in Kansas City where we get ALL 4 seasons of weather....

yes it will be safe just go to aem and buy the air bypass valve!! what it does?? Well if you get stuck in a big part of flood water the valve does not let the water go into the engine!! Go check!! is safe but put the aem valve!!and it does not void the warranty because is a mazda accesory !!

wolfie81 said:
so what do you do if you are driving your car with a CAI & it starts pouring on you...do you stop on the side of the road, kinda sounds stupid.... Would I need to take it off in the winter when it is 20 degrees out???

SO based on the above picture from SEMA, if MS was to release this for the CX-7, would it be safe to put on a car that is daily driven keeping in mind I live in Kansas City where we get ALL 4 seasons of weather....

You don't get hydrolock from just rain. The filter needs to be submerged. If that happens you better start swimming. :)

AEM bypass valve destroys all gains the CAI make. Had one and I hated it.

I keep mine all year long and I live in Canada. Just need to check how protected it would be in the CX-7. In my Mazda 3 there's a plate at the bottom of the engine bay that protects it.

mixmasterlove said:
Basically a CAI is $300.00...towards 10-15 MORE horsepower, and making you waste MORE $$$$ on gas.

If you can drive it normally you should actually get better mileage. But, most people will like the extra power and noise and will be a little harder on the throttle and might lose ~1 mpg.

bazooka joe said:
what is that..like 3" off the ground??
The whole thing looks lowered. But that's still kinda extreme.

I've been driving my p5 for about 5 years with a cai. You just have to watch out for deep puddles. Hell if you are crazy enough to drive in a really deep puddle then you are kind of asking for it. All in all I think you will be fine.

BLACKWIDOW said:
I've been driving my p5 for about 5 years with a cai. You just have to watch out for deep puddles. Hell if you are crazy enough to drive in a really deep puddle then you are kind of asking for it. All in all I think you will be fine.

thanks.. now i have to wait till MS releases the CAI

wolfie81 said:

Having a CAI is safe for the engine as it gives it better air flow the only problem is if you happen to get water in there and it gets sucked up into the engine (you can get a bypass valve that should protect against thi). I usually look for a short ram intake which is very similiar to the already on the cx-7 in that it is the same length and doesn't go down low, meaning the air is sucked in through the grill into the intake. I hope they manke a short ram intake for our car they're so much easier to install.

Back