CX-5 Photos - Share your shots with us!

C360_2013-04-24-18-50-24-660.jpg

Could you describe the steps to paint those wheels?

Thanks!

New CX-5

Hello all-

New to the forum but wanted to thank everyone for all the information that I have already gotten off the forum. We are a two car family and happy that both are now Mazda. I drive a 2005 3 hatchback, that I bought used 3 years ago and I love. Just talked my wife out of her 01 Honda Odyssey mini-van into a 2014 CX-5 GT FWD. We LOVE it. It is like my 3 grew up and is even more awesome. Looking forward to many years ahead of zoom zoom.

Attachments

• CX-5.JPG
    CX-5.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Just talked my wife out of her 01 Honda Odyssey mini-van into a 2014 XC-5 GT FWD. We LOVE it. It is like my 3 grew up and is even more awesome. Looking forward to many years ahead of zoom zoom.
Awesome! The best color! ;-)

Soul red metallic - my first red car ever, but probably not the last! Freshly waxed and begging me to splurge on nicer rims/tires:
attachment.php

Could you describe the steps to paint those wheels?

Thanks!

Sure. Youtube has a ton of videos how to do it too. I'm pretty lazy, so I didn't pull the wheels off. Usually you should first clean the wheels, water and soap is fine, some people use rubbing alcohol to make sure it's really clean. I wrapped the rotors/calipers with a garbage bag and sprayed away. I used 5 cans. 5 coats, 20 min dry time between coats. 1st coat was thin, probably 50% translucent, and every coat after that was thicker than the previous. Make sure to overspray onto the tire. Once the last coat was dry, i used a toothpick to peel off the centercap Mazda emblem and lugnuts. You can just pick at the tire and peel off the overspray.

If you're not lazy, you can pull the wheels off and put index cards around the wheel so you don't spray onto the tire, but plastidip is so easy to work with. It peels following any crease really, so I just left the wheels on and oversprayed onto the tire and just peeled the parts that covered the tires.

It took maybe 2 hours total and I haven't had any problems with it after dipping it ~2 months ago. Take your time, but if you screw up, it's no biggie because you can just peel and redo. I even got splatter on the car when I was shaking the can. No prob, just waited for it to dry, and picked it off.

Got mine @ Tustin Mazda (Tustin, CA)...:)

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring FWD in Black Mica w/ Black Int
Tech Package + Roof Rack

No, it's not TampaMS3's but I give him full credit for the wheels as I was looking to go with black wheels and after seeing his pics decided I was going to straight up rip off his great idea. The wheels are 20x10 TSW Max's with 275/40/20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X's. Otherwise, I got 4" Magnaflow tips welded on as I can not stand how recessed the factory tips are, all of the lighting has been replaced with LED's, the front windows have been tinted to 15% and I threw a Curt hitch on. With the exception of replacing the factory horn with a PIAA dual tone and replacing the fogs with HID bulbs to match the OEM headlights color I think I'm pretty happy with where she's at and don't see any other changes in her future. Sorry for the quality of the pics. She's fresh out of the bath and you can see we didn't have much light left.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
So cool that so Manny of you are using the cx5 as a bike hauler and living active lives With cycling and other sports:) . I love cycling and when i get mine thats what I'm gonna use it fore to.

So cool that so Manny of you are using the cx5 as a bike hauler and living active lives With cycling and other sports:) . I love cycling and when i get mine thats what I'm gonna use it fore to.

Me too :)

I hope to be a new owner within a few months and one of the main objectives is bike and gear hauler with good mpg. My current is a gas sucking Nissan Titan that is lucky to get 12 mpg.

Planning on a Curt Class III hitch with a Kuat NV rack.

If I can upgrade I will post about the CX-5, hitch and rack on my cycling blog.

Looks great Voda Pas! Nothings beats a clean (for a day or two) black vehicle.

Thank you. LOL. How right you are. Next morning I drove to work in a storm. She's back to filthy.

Thank you. LOL. How right you are. Next morning I drove to work in a storm. She's back to filthy.

I hear you on that. Basically from late November to February, my black 3 sports a two-tone paint job provided by mother nature.

Back