2017~2024 CX-5 Parts Inflation

the crazy inflation of the last few years was going to get priced in eventually. it's all shops, not just Mazda
I have a unique situation in that my home was once a small town -- and has only one Mazda dealer . the next closest are over 90 minutes drive - so they tend to jack the prices far far above the average - I mentioned in another thread -- I shop for all my Mazda parts from a dealer in Alabama called Med Center Mazda = and they live on internet sales because their community is not doing well -- So for example My dealer sells 5w-30 OE mazda oil $16 a quart ! I can get it shipped from Med Center for less than 1/2 -- so it depends -- But I suppose thats likely the case with Toyota , Honda etc as well

Related to this topic of sky high parts. I have a 2016 (1/2) that I have been using moly oil in since new. When I took it in for oil change in April I didn't pay attention to what the cost would be until checkout. They charged me 20 and change for the oil. Did wonder why bill was so high, but too late to do anything about it. So recently got a card from dealership saying I could get oil change using synthetic oil, rotation of tires, etc. for $55. I have no idea which synthetic they will use, but a huge difference in price. So is it a good idea to switch to their synthetic?

Related to this topic of sky high parts. I have a 2016 (1/2) that I have been using moly oil in since new. When I took it in for oil change in April I didn't pay attention to what the cost would be until checkout. They charged me 20 and change for the oil. Did wonder why bill was so high, but too late to do anything about it. So recently got a card from dealership saying I could get oil change using synthetic oil, rotation of tires, etc. for $55. I have no idea which synthetic they will use, but a huge difference in price. So is it a good idea to switch to their synthetic?
Dealerships just use a generic bulk synthetic. It's fine, it just won't be the Mazda Moly oil unless you specify for it.

Dang dont ask questions that baffle .....I went in for a " advertised " oil change and the next time I changed the oil myself ...I found a " value line " oil filter - So my long shot guess is....they did not use 0-w20 w/Moly OE Mazda motor oil - I cant see how at any point starting to use Mazdas OE fluids would cause harm after using other oil of proper viscosity -?

Synthetic oil is what should have been used the entire time, this is what's recommended by Mazda.

I can’t really do anything about warranty work and let that play out but I simply have little trust in paid out of pocket mechanic work these days. I don’t enjoy wrenching on my vehicles but want to know there was some attention to detail in the work done. I figure at this point I’ve paid for at least one vehicle doing most of my maintenance and repairs. These days almost any repair has a write up or video if you aren’t sure what to do. I’ve had plenty of shoddy paid work done for me in years past.
Agreed. When I did my own brakes for the first time last year, I was quite shocked how shoddy the previous pad install from a brake shop was which lead to very uneven wear.

Last edited:
Synthetic oil is what should have been used the entire time, this is what's recommended by Mazda.
Mazda only recommends (requires actually) a 0w-20 SM oil. SM is already phased out and we're at SP rated. 0w-20 will only be synthetic-blend or synthetic

Back