CX-5 New (OEM) Tires Question

Both General Altimax and Continental TrueContact Tour are very good tires as per Consumer Reports.
These are not high-performance tires due their higher aspect ratios.

With 255/55R19 tires on your Michelin Defender LTX M/S, your speedometer and odometer will be off a bit as the tires are a bit larger at 29” overall diameter. The “measuring rim width” is 8” on your Defender LTX M/S instead of 7” for OEM tire size which affects the tire section width and at the minimum rim width with 7” OE rims.. The worst is the 33 lbs. weight on your Defender LTX M/S which is 4~5 lbs heavier than OE Toyo A36/A23’s.

On my OE Toyo A23 225/55R19’s I did notice some rubbing marks to the front struts while I was doing the tire rotation.

225/55/19 - 28.7"
255/50/19 - 29"

At 60 mph your speedometer reads 60.6. The difference in weight is negligible, the CX-5 is not winning any drag races. I would much rather have a wider, better, and longer lasting tire. I put 32,000 miles on the Michelin tires and the tread wear went from 11/32 - 9/32. It is all a personal preference, if the numbers mean so much then stick with the OEM tire size.

Back