CX-5 Ebay Fog Assembly DRLs

This was my first mod ever also, can't get more newbie than that! I did not remove the bumper, but I did remove both the bottom and front wheel well coverings. It gives you the necessary access to remove the original plastic fog cover and to plug things in. The hard part is squeezing the assembly connector across to the back of the fog light assembly. Some suggest undoing some screws to tilt the assembly. I just finessed my way thought and it turned out fine. Just take your time and don't force things.

So I've ordered couple of hardware accessories for my CX-5 and they all suppose to arrive in the next 2 weeks :)
I'm starting to plan now how I'm going to install the new fog light boxes, how can I remove both bottom front wheel covers?
Is there any pictures\youtube guide for that?

Thanks in advance.

Just installed these from ebay and they are excellent quality and super easy to install. Just make sure to get the ones from taiwan with the driver assembly. Hardest part was pulling off the OEM fog surround assemblies. Be careful not to scratch your paint when prying them off. I just hooked them up directly to fuse box per instructions and did not hook them up to turn off with headlights on. You have the option for that if you wish. Hope you like them.

20130623_183734_zps72399326.jpg

20130623_183725_zpsc1012129.jpg

20130623_183640_zps976bae46.jpg

Looks Fantastic, your post has made me want to do this modification to my CX-5! I see your running them without any splicing of wires, so it really is a true plug and play kit. Setting it up this way however means that they only shutoff when turning the vehicle off correct?

Alright so I finally found some time to install these. I went the easier route and picked up a fuse tap, no splicing required if you want the led drls on all the time like Nis240sxt, which is what I did. It took maybe 35 min to do the whole thing. I didn't remove the bumper, but installed through the wheel well and removed parts of the plastic under belly to route the wiring. Overall, I like the quality of the parts. The only downside is now I have to buy LEDs for my fog and the stock drl. :D

Nice job, I'd probably opt for the same setup as I don't want to splice/tap any wires if I can avoid doing so.

Re:

So, I've made a purchase of this kit from: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) as recommended in the previous posts.

And I've got the kit in the pictures, attached below.
Note: The seller is amazing! the delivery was very fast!
Though, the manual is not for newbies like me.
Maybe you can help me understand what should be connected to where?
I've read this all thread for about 3 times, though - I saw that peoples talking here about several types of this kind of kit.

Thanks in advance!!!

2014-08-05 22.13.07.jpg
2014-08-05 22.13.20.jpg
2014-08-05 22.13.33.jpg
2014-08-05 22.13.39.jpg
2014-08-05 22.13.53.jpg

It depends on what you want to do: dim or not, etc. You have the same kit as most of us, so you can ignore any post mentioning different ones. I had never done this, and the instruction here were sufficient for me to get through it in about 30 minutes. Basically most connectors are obviously male/female counterparts. The part with the fuses plugs into the accessory fuse slot and the metal loop on the end of the black wire is your ground, it goes on basically any bolt on the cars metal frame.

Vroom, thanks for your reply.
If I understand correctly, the leds will light stronger when I don't turn on the light - when its getting auto on, on a day light and it will get weaker when I'm setting the lights at full power - for night drives, Am I correct?

Yes, but for that to happen you need to splice wires, which I did not do myself. I don't think the LEDs are bright enough to blind oncoming traffic, but opinions may differ on that. That and I don't want to alter my original wiring. If you want dimming, refer to the posts discussing that.

Got ya! so I'll stay without dimming.
I don't want to mess the original wiring also, don't want to break anything which is already working fine :)

Can you suggest me which tools I'll need for it? any special nut? or just a screw to open the buttons around the front wheels?

Thanks in advance!

A flat screw driver for the plastic rivets around the wheels and to help popping out the original fog covers, a cross/star screwdriver for the screws holding the plastic underneath the fogs, a 10 mm ratchet to remove a nut or screw for the ground, and that's about it!

You're the greatest!!! :) if i'll have available time before night time tomorrow I'll might work on it then.
Will take my laptop with me to follow the instructions in this forum :)

My biggest hobby is to upgrade and control R/C model cars, but the crazy ones that get faster than 100mph so it will be really cool to start mod my own ride :)

Thank you!

Hi All, this is my first post but have been reading for a while.

I have just installed a similar DRL Fog light kit from Ebay and everything is working well even the auto dim when headlights on (side lights) thanks for all the help to identify the various cables.

Coming Home Function
If you use the fuse slot 25,26, or 27 (15A) the DRL will shine for 40sec after you stop the engine.

I have connected the Yellow (ACC) cable from the DRL Control box to fuse 27 as indicated above by GT Speedster and intially the DRL's stay on for about 40 seconds after the car was off which is great and was happy, but today when I parked the car and locked then walked away and came back after 10 mins the lights were still on. I drove home and then tested again and it seemed to turn off after a minute and then tried a second time and it went off after 45 seconds, just wondering is there a better fuse to connect it to and any idea why the varying times or is it possibly a faulty drl control box?

Thanks and any help will be appreciated.

OK quick help.
I've got it hooked up fine with just the red wire to the fuse box. I would like the dimming function.
Where do I tap the Blue wire into???? Anyone have a photo where to tap?
Thanks!

PS. Trying to disable my regular DRL, not having any luck with the stupid turn on/off parking break/hazard light method.

To disable the DRLs simply take out the DLR fuse. It's clearly identified in the fuse box cover.

To disable the DRLs simply take out the DLR fuse. It's clearly identified in the fuse box cover.

I have 2014 Touring with Tech (Xenon lights), there's no fuse in the DRL spot in the fuse box.

Sorry, didn't see you had tech... Strange that there is no fuse, I mean, what circuit is it on? I guess you might be stuck with the complicated procedure then...

Or... On the tech DLRs are standalone (not associated to the high beams). You could put LEDs in to match the color on the assembly LEDs, or just simply unplug them altogether, I mean physically pull out the plugs.

Alright, just fixed my setup.
This thread like others have said mixed up two different types with different installs, so it was pretty confusing.
My red wire goes to fuse tap into fuse box, and the blue wire goes to the Green/Black wire for headlight dimming mode.

Odd thing is, once the headlights turns on, the LEDs dim, but when you turn off headlight, the LEDs stay dimmed. Have to turn car off then back on to get full power mode.
Is that what others get? I don't really mind I guess. Also, I took my cheapo LED DRL Bulbs and pried the wire prong out, and plugged it back in so it doesn't turn on and doesn't look weird if there's no bulb there.

Tech DRL does not have a separate fuse I've found. I ended up just going ghetto style, unplugged the connector. If anyone has an idea, I'd be happy to try it out. I couldn't get the DRL procedure to work on mine.

I'm very keen to install a set of these DRL's to my CX5 however I'm somewhat reluctant to tap into existing wires to my headlights etc as my car is still under warranty.
I have read this forum and it mentions that you can use a fuse tap to the accessory fuse (I think) to switch on DRL's when you start the vehicle.
Is there any reason why you could not use a fuse tap to the marker/park lights fuse (#48) to switch off/dim your DRL's when you turn on your headlights.
If anyone can explain why this wouldn't work I would love to hear from you.

Cheers, Paul.

No reason Paul. I use a fuse tap to get power and another fuse tap to dim the fogs. I bought some H11 wire extensions so I can tap into that (instead of actual harness) so I can turn off these LEDs when the fogs are on.

Back