CX-5 Ebay Fog Assembly DRLs

I installed mine today. I bought it from the ebay link and it's from a Taiwan company named topsage. Very quality product and I love the LED light output, it's pretty bright.
Mine is a 13 Touring non tech package.

I removed the bumper to work on it, I also believe removing the foglight assembly to allow the LED DRL wire to go through make things easier.
I used the fuse tap provided in the package with a 10A and 5A on it and install into the instrument panel fuse slot (the only one with a red 10A).
The rest of wiring is pretty straight forward. But I decided to tap the LED to my fog light instead of my low beam because I have HID on it and i don't want to mess with the voltage and this allows me to choose to use LED or foglight during the night, which I believe I will stick with the foglight at night most of the time. Also, I avoided the dim LED option since I heard LED is better to be full on or full off.

here are some pictures:

regular low beam with foglight on

low beam with LED on (My HID is 4300k and the LED is about 5000k color temp.)

the red wire out from the fuse box is the fuse tap.

hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:
Do you find the Fog strips overly blue compared to the HID? The pics show it fairly blue but photographs can be deceiving.

Do you find the Fog strips overly blue compared to the HID? The pics show it fairly blue but photographs can be deceiving.

I think the led strip is fairly close to those OEM quality led from Benz or Audi. It's just my hid is very close to white with a tint of yellow, that makes the led a bit blue, but I say they are are very white overall. The result should be exactly like the original thread starter's picture in post #1.

Last edited:
Audi uses 5500k (don't know about MB as I used to have an Audi.) The HID on the CX-5 is supposed to be Philips 4300k though there are reports to incongruous temperatures between HID and LED which is why I ask the question. It seems not all 5000k is the same. However 4300k is supposed to put out the most light (obviously advantageous.) I'd just like the lights to match up between the two lights that would be on at the same time.

Last edited:
Audi uses 5500k (don't know about MB as I used to have an Audi.) The HID on the CX-5 is supposed to be Philips 4300k though there are reports to incongruous temperatures between HID and LED which is why I ask the question. It seems not all 5000k is the same. However 4300k is supposed to put out the most light (obviously advantageous.) I'd just like the lights to match up between the two lights that would be on at the same time.

It looks like you have tech package, I assume your HID will be whiter than my HID since my 4300k is aftermarket, I feel my HID is bright but just a little whiter than OEM halogen but not a white as more factory OEM HID.

The LED DRL is more of LED white, you can have a pair of LED bulb for the license plate light, I feel that they are more like that color which is about 5000k.

I can shoot another picture tomorrow during the day time, that color is closer to real.

Hey guys ,
Has anyone installed the LED DRL on a CX5 sport ? Does it need to have the fog lights ?
I have been looking and couldn't find any concrete solutions. I am considering just have the LEDs running with the DRLs and dim once headlights are on.
I saw the LED DRLs on Ebay and it is nice and on all the cars here look really sharp . Nice going guys.

No you don't need the fog light or having DRL. The LED DRL is just the fog cover bezel but I think most or all of the LED DRL make the bezel for the model with fog light so you can get them but you'll have the fog cut out without the light, may not look good. If you're ok with it then no problem.

No you don't need the fog light or having DRL. The LED DRL is just the fog cover bezel but I think most or all of the LED DRL make the bezel for the model with fog light so you can get them but you'll have the fog cut out without the light, may not look good. If you're ok with it then no problem.

Thank you very much for the info . I don't think it will look good so I just won't doing but instead replace my stocks headlights and DRLs with LED bulbs 6000K . I just gotta find the right ones. I believe for the halogen setup the H11 is used for the low beam . What's the model for the DRLs ?

Ok thanks for the info I looked around and i found this https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ulb--28-led-daytime-running-light-/1276/2954/ to replace the stock 9005 and also https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/led-product/1278/2955/ to replace the stock headlamps. .
Any thoughts guys ?

Those are not meant for headlamps. They do not put out enough lumens. It's right there on the page telling you not to use them for that. There are very few aftermarket LEDs qualified to be used for headlamps. For instance, these are: http://www.vleds.com/headlights/led-headlights.html

Just because they are H11 type bulbs does not mean they are suitable for the purpose of low beams (main headlights); other car makers use H11 for DRL, for instance, that those LEDs are qualified for. You have to find H11 LED specifically mentioned as usable for main headlights.

Those are not meant for headlamps. They do not put out enough lumens. It's right there on the page telling you not to use them for that. There are very few aftermarket LEDs qualified to be used for headlamps. For instance, these are: http://www.vleds.com/headlights/led-headlights.html

Just because they are H11 type bulbs does not mean they are suitable for the purpose of low beams (main headlights); other car makers use H11 for DRL, for instance, that those LEDs are qualified for. You have to find H11 LED specifically mentioned as usable for main headlights.

Ok thanks for the info , much appreciated

tkataria,

You obviously don't have the same kit we have, probably from another seller/manufacturer. So obviously the wireing might not be the same. You can't just blindly try every you read here hopping it works...

Note that if you need to add a length of wire for it to work, you are probably not at the right place, unless the kit you have is very badly designed, in which case I suggest not using it.

The blue to ACC in the diagram probably controls the ON/OFF of the lights. When the blue detects a 12v source, it comes on. Not sure where they expect you to put that with that type of connector... I'm no expert. Someone here might be able to confirm.

The white wire is probably for dimming. The LEDs dim when a 12V source is detected. This should probably go onto the green/white wire you have marked on your picture. Again, I'm no expert.

In any case, take care to use good quality electric tape everywhere you made unnecessary holes in your wires, or you'll get oxidation and electrical problems in the long run.

Good info, thank you. I want to install the DRL like most of you have did here, but 1 thing is still bothering me... If the ACC labeled wire is connected to the ACC source, the DRL will light up on their full brightness whenever the ignition is turned on, there are times that I would like to stop my car, with the engine turned on, especially at night time, but I really don't want the DRL on while I'm waiting inside the car. By using the stock DRL, I can easily do this by engaged the parking brake, since the parking brake on will turn off the stock DRL. Do you think by connecting the ACC labeled wire of the LED DRL to the stock DRL (+) wire will enable this function? And will the LED DRL still retain it's dimming function when the side parking/head light is on? Hope some1 could probably had gone through this....

I don't think this would work. The LEDs would be off when the headlights turn on. Also, the LED DRLs need their own fuse, so just splicing into the DRL power wire might overload that circuit. There is no harm trying to plug the fuse tap into the DRL fuse slot if you want to try this safely without affecting your existing circuits, but as I said, it probably won't work...

Just replaced my philips DRLs with this Fog cover DRLs, light color is very close to stock HID headlight.
Additionally I route the Negative wire from the DRL module into the cabin, and connect to a push-on switch that I added near the handbrake lever. The DRLs now will only turn on after I release my handbrake.

Last edited:
Thank you again for the info @ErgoZoom. Do you think these VLEDS will work as a replacement for the DRLs http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/dayt...fog-light-bulbs-hb3-9005-h10-9145-1-pair.html ?

I wouldn't recommend LEDs for the DRLs on the CX-5 with halogen headlights (non-Tech Package). Those models use a halogen HB3 on reduced voltage for DRLs and full voltage for high beams.

My CX-5 does have the Tech Package with the bi-xenon HIDs. I took the stock P13W bulb for the DRLs out and replaced them with the P13W 6K LED from VLED (also rated at 850 lumens). They work fine for DRL but... I turned my headlights off once at night to fire the DRLs to see how well they illuminated the road and it was pretty dismal.

I just ended up taking out the DRL fuse on my non-tech and keeping only the ebay fog light assembly as my only DRL source. It actually looks great: gives it a nice clean look similar to what Mercedes do. The high beams still work great.

Even better would be to complement the DRL assembly with white/yellow led switchbacks in my headlights. That would move the drls to the outside of the headlight assembly, a much better look than the inside IMO. The problem is that I would need to be in parking light mode during the day. That would put my dash lights in night mode all the time, and prevent me from using headlights on auto mode...

Guys,
I've just wanted to update you that I've read already twice today all of this thread.
I'm going to order this set now and hope that I'll not have any issue with the installation as it will be my first installation (I'm pretty newbie).

As for being a newbie, what would be the best method for me to perform this installation per your opinion: to work from the wheel ends, to take the bumper out or to work beneath the car?

Thanks!

Back