2017~2024 CX-5 Driver door glass replacement

:
2020 CX-5 GT AWD
The glass on the driver door developed a crack so I decided to replace it. After checking two dealers in my area about the total cost of buying the glass +installtion, I decided to buy it online and do the replacement on my own. The dealer price is 271.40 USD plus whatever installation cost. One dealer offered around 477 USD total cost including taxes, the other dealer said that they do not install the glass, they outsource the work to some third party. I think 477 US it's too expensive. Eventually I found the glass online, PN KB7W-59-510 at 176.41 USD plus 32.05 shipping cost. That's almost 100 less than the dealer sale prices. I bought it from shopmazdapartsonline.com if anybody is interested. After watching a guy on youtube replacing the passenger door glass, I want to give it a shot.

IMG_1780.jpg

The rear right passenger's glass of my '17 CX5 was shuttered in SF (where crime rate has been going up these days). An indie shop which I frequent for a long time fixed it for $400. He managed to find a OE replacement glass somewhere. (including cleaning up glass pieces inside the door).

Safelite offered very good deal (less than $300, on site replacement), but needed to wait 1-2 weeks. Due to time restriction, I went with the indie shop.

Check with Safelite if you can wait and don't mind non-OE glass.

Thanks for the advice but I've already purchased the glass online and now I'm waiting for it, probably with some delay because the rest of the country is in full winter season. 😀

The glass on the driver door developed a crack so I decided to replace it. After checking two dealers in my area about the total cost of buying the glass +installtion, I decided to buy it online and do the replacement on my own. The dealer price is 271.40 USD plus whatever installation cost. One dealer offered around 477 USD total cost including taxes, the other dealer said that they do not install the glass, they outsource the work to some third party. I think 477 US it's too expensive. Eventually I found the glass online, PN KB7W-59-510 at 176.41 USD plus 32.05 shipping cost. That's almost 100 less than the dealer sale prices. I bought it from shopmazdapartsonline.com if anybody is interested. After watching a guy on youtube replacing the passenger door glass, I want to give it a shot. View attachment 314758
This task isn’t too difficult to do especially if you can follow the steps from the FSM like the online one for gen-1 CX-5. The main thing is the proper glass position alignment after the replacement. And for Mazda the one-touch up-and-down feature may need a reset. I did the driver side window replacement on my 2000 BMW 528i many years ago after a break-in. I have the service manual to follow. And believe it or not, cleaning up those small granules everywhere from the broken tempered glass is really a hassle even if you have a powerful shop vacuum.

The front driver side window on your gen-2 CX-5 uses acoustic laminated glass so it’s more expensive than gen-1’s tempered glass. Of course it won’t be broken into small piece like the tempered glass does which is much easier to handle.

I've used the insurance company to replace the windscreen and it jacked up my insurance rate. So no more. I pay the insurance because it's the law but I'd rather not use it.

This task isn’t too difficult to do especially if you can follow the steps from the FSM like the online one for gen-1 CX-5. The main thing is the proper glass position alignment after the replacement. And for Mazda the one-touch up-and-down feature may need a reset. I did the driver side window replacement on my 2000 BMW 528i many years ago after a break-in. I have the service manual to follow. And believe it or not, cleaning up those small granules everywhere from the broken tempered glass is really a hassle even if you have a powerful shop vacuum.

The front driver side window on your gen-2 CX-5 uses acoustic laminated glass so it’s more expensive than gen-1’s tempered glass. Of course it won’t be broken into small piece like the tempered glass does which is much easier to handle.
I plan to do the job without actually disconnecting any connector, just displace the interior panel enough so I can access the bolts for removing/replacing the glass. Hopefully I won't need any reset.

I've used the insurance company to replace the windscreen and it jacked up my insurance rate. So no more. I pay the insurance because it's the law but I'd rather not use it.
I guess that depends on your Country which you don't state or local region. In Florida its free no insurance bump.

The rear right passenger's glass of my '17 CX5 was shuttered in SF (where crime rate has been going up these days). An indie shop which I frequent for a long time fixed it for $400. He managed to find a OE replacement glass somewhere. (including cleaning up glass pieces inside the door).

Safelite offered very good deal (less than $300, on site replacement), but needed to wait 1-2 weeks. Due to time restriction, I went with the indie shop.

Check with Safelite if you can wait and don't mind non-OE glass.
It’s funny that the driver side rear door fixed quarter window on my daughter’s 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback just also got smashed last Wednesday night when she parked on the road side in Oakland visiting a friend! She called the Toyota dealer where she bought the car, and was quoted for $50 for glass and $210 for 2 hours of labor! Worse, when she took the Corolla to the dealer the Service Advisor told her it’s about $580 to fix it! She called me and let me talk to the SA. He said the glass is $155 and it need 4 hours of labor for $420 and some tax: I have done that rear door quarter fixed window replacement before on my 1998 Honda CR-V also caused by a break-in, and I know the job should only take about an hour by a skilled tech. I questioned the price both on part and labor, and eventually the SA backed off to the original quoted price $260, although I believe it’s still a rip off at least on labor.

Yes, she called a local Safelite and they can’t do the same day service at this time. And they use an aftermarket glass. The parts guy at that Toyota dealer also said there’s only 1 glass in Toyota Bay Area warehouse as the OEM glass is made in Japan like the Corolla Hatchback. I called the Toyota dealer in Dallas and the parts guy here told me there’s nothing in the entire US Toyota inventory for that fixed glass on Corolla Hatchback, it’s been back-ordered and it won’t be available until in the middle of January!

I guess with so many shattered window glass in Bay Area, the Toyota USA is trying to stock as many window glass as possible in the area!

Should have called your insurance company. They would have replaced it for free.
Not necessary! From my daughter’s case just last week her State Farm doesn’t replace the window glass for free. It will count toward the deductible. Remember in Bay Area so many car windows got smashed each day, the police department won’t even take any request for a police report on such incident. The car window glass inventory is very low in California, or even in the entire USA.

Exactly. This’s my experience too. The car insurance nowadays is only for big incident such as the hail damage on my CX-5. Anything less than a thousand I wouldn’t bother to file a claim. The premium will go up for sure with any claim even if it isn’t at my fault.

The same on home owner insurance.

Not necessary! From my daughter’s case just last week her State Farm doesn’t replace the window glass for free. It will count toward the deductible. Remember in Bay Area so many car windows got smashed each day, the police department won’t even take any request for a police report on such incident. The car window glass inventory is very low in California, or even in the entire USA.
That's crazy. Like MetroMike said, I guess it goes by state, with each state having their own rules.

Today I've got the package delivered by UPS. Open box, perforated, cracked glass. What a waste. I called the dealer, sent him pictures and just got an e-mail confirming the refund. Too good to be true, glass sold at 176$. Now I have to go at the local dealer and buy it at 272$.

May be check all your local dealers, somebody may be able to price match or at least give some discount. its pita with the shipping. delivery drivers and labor in the warehouse dont pay attention and throw everything even if there is sign that its fragile.
Change is not that hard but cleaning all the small parts is mission impossible. Had 2 side glass breakins in the padt and kept finding small glass parts years after. Dont forget to wear proper gloves. Good luck.

About the insurance, here in Phoenix its free with glass coverage but rates do go up (even if a little) on the next renewal. It also goes to the claims db where all insurance companies can see it even if its a no failt claim. As said above nowadays insurance is primarily for major stuff unfortunately. Labor cost is also crazy high even for small stuff. Its insane to me that a windshield replacement would cost 1000+ nowadays. They will try to screw you over and over any time.

Last edited:
Today I've got the package delivered by UPS. Open box, perforated, cracked glass. What a waste. I called the dealer, sent him pictures and just got an e-mail confirming the refund. Too good to be true, glass sold at 176$. Now I have to go at the local dealer and buy it at 272$.
Shipping for the driver side window glass on your 2020 CX-5 should be relatively safe to me as long as they packaged the glass properly. The glass is laminated and the area isn’t too big. I actually was surprised you received a cracked glass.

Change is not that hard but cleaning all the small parts is mission impossible. Had 2 side glass breakins in the padt and kept finding small glass parts years after.
Yeah after I replaced the driver side window of my BMW 528i, I also kept finding small glass parts years after.

Luckily, OP’s front driver side window has acoustic laminated glass, it won’t break into small pieces like we’d experienced with tempered glass.

UPS came today to pick it up and return it to the Mazda dealer. No "Fragile" or "Handle with care" sticker or anything of that nature on the box. The box was delivered to me exactly how it is shown in the picture.

image2.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Back