CX-5 Cracked Windshield

BushWickz

2021 CX-5 Reserve
Our lovely highways in MA are full of debris and #$% all around. Coming down on I95 Southbound an outta nowhere stone rested on the windshield. Went to Safelite and the OEM it's covered with deductible. Do you guys trust Safelite? I know once you replace Mazda windshield a lot of stuff gotta be recalibrated so I wonder.. Do they own those Mazda codes or do I need to stop by the dealership to re-calibrate once installed?

Here's the #$%

WindCrack.jpg

Related threads:

Basically - Always go with OEM glass. The sensors will need to be recalibrated, and Safelite can do the recalibration on the CX-5.

seems 2x hit. is this a crack at the upper part?
otherwise if no crack its usually repairable. I got the same one like the one at the bottom and fixed it easily.

on the calibration topic,
the camera has to be calibrated if its out of angle after the windshield replacement.

If you go the windshield replacement route make sure to ask/confirm the fitment is done professionally and with OEM as it comes with all brackets for the sensors pre-attached on the glass, the glass mouldings are there as well (they have to change and use the new ones), there are no scratches to the paint and frame when they remove the old windshield (usually they scratch and have to primer it or will rust over time) and the glue they use is applied properly.
Safelite charge a hefty fee for the replacement so make sure they do it properly.

Last edited:
I'd like to understand better the difference between OEM and aftermarket replacement. I have very similar damage, but then a crack propagated 7 or 8 inches from it to another edge.

I have an appointment with Safelite tomorrow morning. I just realized I could download my invoice. Looks like aftermarket:

1624571872050.png

seems 2x hit. is this a crack at the upper part?

If you go the windshield replacement route make sure to ask/confirm the fitment is done professionally and with OEM as it comes with all brackets for the sensors pre-attached on the glass, the glass mouldings are there as well (they have to change and use the new ones), there are no scratches to the paint and frame when they remove the old windshield (usually they scratch and have to primer it or will rust over time) and the glue they use is applied properly.
Safelite charge a hefty fee for the replacement so make sure they do it properly.

It's on the lower driver side right a little above the vin number. Btw they just called me saying Progressive can't honor the OEM because I don't have the OEM Endorsement!?!? lmao!.

I went in to check if it could be repairable but the person said the damage was too deep into the layers and indeed the OEM part was really good as to contain the damage. He told he they would fix it but just the hit itself was deep enough, plus the subsequent crack.

I'm doubtful on how Safelite will handle the replacement. Seems like reputation varies from stores and how well they work. But hey pal thank you for the heads up! I'll definitely be on the lookout for the aforementioned.

Had Safelite replace my 2021 cx5 windshield about 2 mos. ago. They did a great job installing the OEM replacement windshield. The camera recalibration was included in their cost which in Daytona, FL was $1150. My car is a signature with the HUD, heated wipers and the cameras. IMPORTANT Make sure you tell them all the equipment on your car because there are several different windshields. The Head up Display requires a special windshield. If you have heated wipers, there is a windshield with 2 small electric heater grids.

I'd like to understand better the difference between OEM and aftermarket replacement. I have very similar damage, but then a crack propagated 7 or 8 inches from it to another edge.

I have an appointment with Safelite tomorrow morning. I just realized I could download my invoice. Looks like aftermarket:

View attachment 300338

non oem especially with the HUD is big hit and miss. The oem with HUD and heated wipers is in the range of 800$. (not accounting for discounts which can go up to 40%). I wouldnt do it with non oem if it was me.
The thing is you wouldnt know before they change it then its too late.
As it was mentioned Safelite is hit and miss too. Some shops are excellent others not so much. Good luck. Keep us posted after the change. Thanks.

Last edited:
Had Safelite replace my 2021 cx5 windshield about 2 mos. ago. They did a great job installing the OEM replacement windshield. The camera recalibration was included in their cost which in Daytona, FL was $1150. My car is a signature with the HUD, heated wipers and the cameras. IMPORTANT Make sure you tell them all the equipment on your car because there are several different windshields. The Head up Display requires a special windshield. If you have heated wipers, there is a windshield with 2 small electric heater grids.

Yep! Matter fact I think I'm switching shops for a one closer to my house. That one has better reviews and overall. Before leaving the shop I made sure let the guy know about the car features althouth he asked me for the VIN. I made sure to even show him those heater grids.

Plus I'm following this advice as well.

Yep! Matter fact I think I'm switching shops for a one closer to my house. That one has better reviews and overall. Before leaving the shop I made sure let the guy know about the car features althouth he asked me for the VIN. I made sure to even show him those heater grids.

Plus I'm following this advice as well.
Not all Safelite shops are created equal. You definitely want to go to a one with better reviews even if it’s farther away. Some had reported here his Safelite shop taped the rain sensor onto an after-market windshield as the windshield doesn’t have build-in sensor holder.

I’m glad my 2016 CX-5 GT has only rain sensor on the windshield without forward sensing camera. It’s not critical to re-calibrate it and the shop didn’t do it when I replaced my windshield several years ago. In fact at the time even the Mazda dealer had no clue about sensor re-calibration with windshield replacement.

I did not pay a cent when my windshield was replaced last summer. Including the calibrations that were done.

Do not use Safelite, they are the maaco of auto glass repair. Go to the best independent auto glass place you can find or best reviewed body shop to have it done.

I got aftermarket glass today. Everything seems to work so far. There is a bracket for the rain/light sensor. The only issue I had was that silicone pad surrounding it didn't seal very well, had a bubble. He adjusted it while I was there. It was 100 degrees out.

There may be more internal reflection or glare, or I may be imagining it on a really hot, sunny day.

Thank you for the update.
I am curious what is the name of the manufacturer? Should be written at the drivers side, at the bottom of the windshield.

Not all Safelite shops are created equal. You definitely want to go to a one with better reviews even if it’s farther away. Some had reported here his Safelite shop taped the rain sensor onto an after-market windshield as the windshield doesn’t have build-in sensor holder.

I’m glad my 2016 CX-5 GT has only rain sensor on the windshield without forward sensing camera. It’s not critical to re-calibrate it and the shop didn’t do it when I replaced my windshield several years ago. In fact at the time even the Mazda dealer had no clue about sensor re-calibration with windshield replacement.

Now my question to you is.. Is Safelite capable to do a proper re-calibration of an oem windshield..??

Thank you for the update.
I am curious what is the name of the manufacturer? Should be written at the drivers side, at the bottom of the windshield.

Attachments

• 112E5F23-FDA6-411D-AE5C-71606E538103.jpeg
    112E5F23-FDA6-411D-AE5C-71606E538103.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 311
Now my question to you is.. Is Safelite capable to do a proper re-calibration of an oem windshield..??
You may just have to trust the Safelite since they claim they can do it. Ask them which sensors and cameras they will do the calibration. If they can’t answer, I’d have serious doubt that they actually can do it properly.

The windshield in the picture is Mazda OEM windshield made by Nippon Sheet Glass Co. Ltd., Osaka, Japan (DOT23). LAMIPANE GGN says it’s laminated.

Last edited:
The windshield in the picture is Mazda OEM windshield made by Nippon Sheet Glass Co. Ltd. (DOT23). LAMIPANE GGN says it’s laminated.

Yep. Thats the oem.
Assuming thats the one that has the chip on 'BushWickz' car.

My post was to 'murky' as I was curious what glass safelite used for the 380usd change with Hud.

In ref. to the calibration, the only calibration that I know of is for the camera. The rain sensor relies on the sticker/pad. The small laser sensor is kind of fixed position.

I have the procedure somewhere on my pc. There are two ways to calibrate as far as I remember. One is self alignment after driving under certain road conditions the other is static with the car stationary and some equipment needed. Pretty much all Safelite should know how to do it nowadays. It was an issue few years back when this was new to glass replacement companies if I recall.

Last edited:
Yep. Thats the oem.
Assuming thats the one that has the chip on 'BushWickz' car.

My post was to 'murky' as I was curious what glass safelite used for the 380usd change with Hud.

In ref. to the calibration, the only calibration that I know of is for the camera. The rain sensor relies on the sticker/pad. The small laser sensor is kind of fixed position.

I have the procedure somewhere on my pc. There are two ways to calibrate as far as I remember. One is self alignment after driving under certain road conditions the other is static with the car stationary and some equipment needed. Pretty much all Safelite should know how to do it nowadays. It was an issue few years back when this was new to glass replacement companies if I recall.

yeah picture shown above is the oem. a guy who did my Infiniti with pretty much the same technology he didn’t calibrate anything. He just pull out the stuff no disconnecting anything pull off the old windshield gently cleaned any debris and put everything back together. He drove the car and everything went perfect. But with Mazda I am not sure since this windshield has heating elements all around plus the active windshield display lane departure etc.

Back