CX-5 Cracked Diff?

KennethPR

2013 CX-5 AWD
Hello guys, I had my car inspected yesterday and I was told and shown that the diff is cracked, the thing is that I see its just a "leg" or mount. Could I have this welded back in place?

Attachments

• IMG_1248.png
    IMG_1248.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1249.png
    IMG_1249.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1250.png
    IMG_1250.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 94
Ouch! I believe that's the first time that we've seen this on the forum. Have you had the CX since new? Any idea what caused this?

I suppose that it could be welded, I'm no expert on welding but I'm sure that one will come along shortly.

What model year is your CX-5 ? There is a TSB on the Cx-9 for cracked diff, not sure about the CX-5, but we can check with your model year. Also, diffs usually fall under the powertrain warranty, so it might still be under warranty.

I actually bought the car used a month ago, its a CX-5 2013 AWD. To be honest it could have been my fault, I went over a speed bump at like 90m/h a few weeks ago, thats the only thing I can think of, or I just got it like that, not sure.

I don't think speed bump will break the mount. Maybe from jacking at the diff? I also don't think welding will be a good solution as you can only weld the outer parameter. I'm no welder so I could be wrong.

I actually bought the car used a month ago, its a CX-5 2013 AWD. To be honest it could have been my fault, I went over a speed bump at like 90m/h a few weeks ago, thats the only thing I can think of, or I just got it like that, not sure.

Well it is very clean underneath for a 2013! But yeah warranty and TSB are not really applicable then.

Where can you drive 90 mph let alone on a road with speed bumps? Speed bumps are usually in developments or side roads with kids around.

That's what I would like to know too. 90mph over a speed bump? How did you manage to not crash? If I had hit any of the speed bumps in my area at that speed, I would have gone airborne and most likely wouldn't be typing this. We have a few 'speed tables' in the area and if you hit one of those at that speed? Forgetaboutit.

From the replies so far, no one seems to know (though I would be wary, personally).

I think your best bet is to take it to an independent shop and ask them.

Also, the car is 11 years old. Is there anything bad happening because of the cracked piece? What does it attach to? 🤷‍♂️ Maybe just roll with it and see how it goes?

I can't tell from your picture the orientation and what that broken nub goes to. That's looks like a substantial size bolt. Is this the rear differential? Maybe a picture showing more of the area?

If you find a skilled welder you could have it welded, there is just no guarantee that it will hold. The weld can only go so deep, and this is a pretty thick piece. But a weld would be better than no weld at all, and if the weld doesn’t hold you would be back to where you are, with a cracked diff, but it wouldn’t be worst.

You probably won’t be able to get a good weld all around the part without removing it. If it was me and I would be going to the trouble of finding a good welder and removing the part, i would probably just replace it at that point. That may be cheaper or about the same price. Maybe with a junkyard or a reconditioned part.

Ok so quick update, I talked to the previous owner, he said he knew about the broken rear diff but forgot to mention it 😑

Anyhow, he told me he was told he could use the car like that as that is one out of four mounting posts on the diff.

I will have it welded back in place, if it doesnt hold I will need to replace the whole differential as its the housing itself which is one whole piece.

Thanks for the input you guys.

Since it is aluminum (I think) you would need to have someone TIG weld it.

Back in the day when they used to call it Heliarc welding my father had some done on a jet river sled and it has held up well for decades on high stress points.

Good reference video if one ever does need to swap rear diff

So we are basically looking at it being cracked here:

1c9b6e10-080f-4039-9976-f2cef15beeb9.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so quick update, I talked to the previous owner, he said he knew about the broken rear diff but forgot to mention it 😑

Anyhow, he told me he was told he could use the car like that as that is one out of four mounting posts on the diff.

I will have it welded back in place, if it doesnt hold I will need to replace the whole differential as its the housing itself which is one whole piece.

Thanks for the input you guys.
Hard to believe some one could forget a repair that expensive.... I'd go with the weld, what have you got to lose? It's not like it's leaking or anything. Is there any chance an accident caused that?

If it was me, I would not trust the weld, considering you can get a remanufactured new/junkyard. It should cost a little mores then the weld job but piece of mind is worth a little extra $$$. At least you’ll have a peace of mind, knowing that the weld will not be the cause of failure in the future.

Found the part in question on eBay:

$420 shipped

Found a bunch of these parts, fringing from low $400-$600 not installed and most by come with the 30 day warranty.

Be sure to check out eBay and car car-parts.com

Last edited:
Back