2015 CX-5 Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change...SG1or 80w90?

anyman

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Next maintenance item for my 2015 CX5 GT is rear diff and transfer case fluid changes. The manual states they take a readily-available (and cheap) 80w90 GL5 gear oil but then in 2016 Mazda spec'd their SG1 Hypoid Gear Oil...but am I supposed to use this in lieu of 80w90 or is the SG1 only required in 2016 and up models?

Next maintenance item for my 2015 CX5 GT is rear diff and transfer case fluid changes. The manual states they take a readily-available (and cheap) 80w90 GL5 gear oil but then in 2016 Mazda spec'd their SG1 Hypoid Gear Oil...but am I supposed to use this in lieu of 80w90 or is the SG1 only required in 2016 and up models?
I have a 2015 and I opted to use SG1. Just the same, you can opt to use GL-5 or, probably a better option, Amsoil or Redline.

$60 every 30k is relatively cheap for an AWD maintenance item.
i won’t use GL-5 if Mazda switched the gear oil from GL-5 to SG1 on the same hardware.

On the other hand, I’d switch from GL-5 to SG1 like you did if I had a 2015 CX-5 or prior. There’s a reason why Mazda made a switch.

CX-5 Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: Tools, Parts and Links

@yrwei52 Thanks man! Good info. As far as I know the hardware on the 2015 is the same as the 2016, right? So it would make sense to use SG1 instead of 80w90?

@yrwei52 Thanks man! Good info. As far as I know the hardware on the 2015 is the same as the 2016, right? So it would make sense to use SG1 instead of 80w90?
If I had a 2015 CX-5, I’d use SG1 as the hardware is the same. But many others do follow the spec and use 80W-90 GL-5. I’m glad I don’t have to make such decision on gear oil selection for my 2016 CX-5.

Just checked my service receipts and I had the rear diff changed at 60k with SG1...so I guess that answers my questions too. SG1 it is.

Went to pick up SG1, talked to the parts guy and he says for 2015 and earlier models they still fill with 80w90 still. Weighed the pros and cons for like two seconds in my head and ultimately decided to stick with 80w90. This is a different dealer than the one who changed my rear diff a few years ago with SG1.

Went to pick up SG1, talked to the parts guy and he says for 2015 and earlier models they still fill with 80w90 still. Weighed the pros and cons for like two seconds in my head and ultimately decided to stick with 80w90. This is a different dealer than the one who changed my rear diff a few years ago with SG1.
Nothing wrong with that. Besides the price on SG1, $35.27 MSRP per quart, nowadays is outrageous.

Just make sure to get 2 bottles.

Thanks. Found some Lucas Oil stuff that should work. $10/bottle. Yeah, the price of SG1 is steep.

Quick update for anybody who cares. Did the change. Transfer case was easy peasy. Rear...well, yeah...those are some tight clearances. Luckily my neighbor has a lot of tools. It's definitely doable but like others have said...get stubby sockets. I only ordered a stubby for the fill hole but didn't realize the drain hole is also pretty close to a structural member. I was barely able to get a socket on it to torque it to spec.

Both fluids looked really clean. The back had been done 35k ago. Transfer case had never been done. A little bit of muck on the magnets. No chunks or alarming pieces of metal. To compare I just did my Tacoma with 37k miles on it and the diff fluid (front and back) was basically dark gray. I tow maybe 25% with it though and it's a completely different animal.

I didn't measure exactly but I got out a little over a quart from BOTH TOTAL but added in a 1 1/4 quart...so they weren't drastically under filled.

Latest posts

Back