2017~2024 CX-5 Brake pedal feel

Sorry to bother, but new MAZDA owner. It seems like I need to depress brake pedal further than my Kia or Honda, when needing to stop quicker. Is this normal for Mazda?

All vehicles have different brake feel. Only thing you can do is bleed the brake calipers to see if any air bubbles come out. What year is your vehicle and when was brake fluid last changed?

The CX-50 requires quite a bit of pedal to stop.

I haven't driven a Kia or Honda in a long time. My only other reference is a 2011 Mercedes with a recent brake job. That thing will put me into the windshield with just a tap, despite being a heavier SUV.

My CX-5s have been somewhere in between.

I haven't driven a Kia or Honda in a long time. My only other reference is a 2011 Mercedes with a recent brake job. That thing will put me into the windshield with just a tap, despite being a heavier SUV.
And that is exactly why I like my CX-50 brakes, so easy to modulate.

My 2018 CX5 brake pedal has always felt a little softer compared to our 2018 Honda Civic and the 2018 MX5.

I love the brake feel of the CX5/CX9/6 and prev gen 3s. The new gen 3, 30, 50 brakes suck in comparison. They just feel 'hard' and give very little feedback through the pedal.
Mazda used to have a web site talking about the benefits of the earlier brake system. They called it 'linear braking,' where the tactile feedback gave you an idea of what the brakes were doing. They took down that web page a year or two ago. The CX50s made starting in Nov 23 have a new brake booster that's supposed to address this

The new gen 3, 30, 50 brakes suck in comparison. They just feel 'hard' and give very little feedback through the pedal.
As per my post above, that's not true, at least for my CX-50 (2022 build). It has a very progressive brake pedal - some on the CX-50 forums complain it's too soft, but I like it.

The CX50s made starting in Nov 23 have a new brake booster that's supposed to address this
First I've heard of that. Can you give a reference/link?

My 2016.5 cx-5's pedal feels a bit mushy. I flush and bleed about every 2 years. I'll use a full quart. I've used the 'pump the pedal, wife' method, and 'apply vacuum at caliper' method. (And I hate that I have to apply thick grease around the nipple threads to keep from sucking air around theme. Yeah, I know, speed bleeders...).

As per my post above, that's not true, at least for my CX-50 (2022 build). It has a very progressive brake pedal - some on the CX-50 forums complain it's too soft, but I like it.

First I've heard of that. Can you give a reference/link?

I have also noticed and don't like the brake feel on my 23 CX-5. Too soft. And I hated the actual pedal position. It was too close to the gas pedal for my taste. I kept catching the sole of my shoe at the ball of my foot under the right edge of the pedal, so I moved it. about 3/4 inch to the left.... much better (for me at least). I fear there is not much I can do about the travel, pedal resistance or deceleration without a change in too many parts to even consider. Different pads would change the feel but not the pedal travel and mushiness I fear. I have adopted a 'just live with it' approach.

I have also noticed and don't like the brake feel on my 23 CX-5. Too soft. And I hated the actual pedal position. It was too close to the gas pedal for my taste. I kept catching the sole of my shoe at the ball of my foot under the right edge of the pedal, so I moved it. about 3/4 inch to the left.... much better (for me at least). I fear there is not much I can do about the travel, pedal resistance or deceleration without a change in too many parts to even consider. Different pads would change the feel but not the pedal travel and mushiness I fear. I have adopted a 'just live with it' approach.
You would probably not like the CX-50 brakes.

I too find the CX 5/CX 50 brake pedal is soft. But I’m comparing it against my old Nissan juke Nismo RS and my Mazdaspeed3. I’m half tempted to upgrade the front and rear brakes to see if it firms up the brake pedal. I have less than <10,000 miles on the clock, on my new CX-5 turbo with the larger brakes, so I know it’s not the brakes needing to be replaced. As per the dealer, all four brake corners are in the green.

Last edited:
You would probably not like the CX-50 brakes.
N7, you are probably right about the CX50, I have spinal stenosis and bending at my lower back is painful which is why I opted for the CX5 which has a higher roofline and allows me to get in more easily with less back bending, haha. I once had a Datsun SLR311, two door convert. The brake pedal was as hard as a rock, no movement at all. If you wanted to decelerate faster you just pushed on the brake pedal harder and it worked. Of for the 'good ole' days, haha again.

Back