CX-5 2017 fender broke

38293823105_8669b9d502_b.jpg

No.

It didnt leave the factory like that so either you did it without knowing , some lovely third party did it in a parking lot did it or the dealer did it before you got it. There is no way it came apart on its own.

My gut feeling as well.

Less than $50 to get replaced. I had to replace my rear passenger one.

Good to hear they are taking care of that. I notice that the first two attachments at the bottom are missing. They wouldn’t pull out without causing some distortion or damage , would they?

Good to hear they are taking care of that. I notice that the first two attachments at the bottom are missing. They wouldn’t pull out without causing some distortion or damage , would they?

Those first two clips at the bottom/leading edge seem to be the problem. They are a different design from the others and were missing after mine came apart too. BTW, it's interesting how those who have not experienced this failure seem to know better than the owners how it occurred. There's a definite pattern here with only the rear trim being affected and all on cars that had suffered no previous damage in that area.

Those first two clips at the bottom/leading edge seem to be the problem. They are a different design from the others and were missing after mine came apart too. BTW, it's interesting how those who have not experienced this failure seem to know better than the owners how it occurred.

Trying to be constructive about why this has happened. If you look at the parts diagram you can see that all the 8 clips including the 2 missing ones are all exactly the same. The black parts that make them look different are actually what is left of the anchors on the inside of the fender arch - the blue clips slide in behind them. My guess after seeing this is that an object has struck the part numbered 51-PV1 which is named as the “stone guard”. A force big enough to detach that guard would break the lower front part of the arch and then you have the mechanism to break the rest.

Screen_Shot_2017-12-20_at_18.54.37.png

This is a front but you can see how the blue clips fit into the arch and the housings that are still attached to the bodywork of the white car. I maintain, they wouldn’t just come off but can see how some vulnerability in the design could cause similar damage on different cars.

fullsizeoutput_1789.jpg

It could have just been a "one off" incident due to a fault not picked up at the factory or dealership

Anchorman: Gen I cars, such as mine, had 3 types of clips securing the wheel arch molding to the body (https://www.parkmazdaoemparts.com/p...iteid=215334&vehicleid=381741&diagram=5470505). They made changes to this on the new model. The replacement molding comes with all the parts installed and without removing it from the car, I can't tell you exactly what the differences are. While I still maintain that a blow to the "mud shield" would probably have little effect on the arch molding clips (the shield is a totally separate piece held on by its own set of 3 clips), I suppose that is a possibility. However, I am also 99% sure that I never ran over anything that could have damaged any of these components.

@Anchorman
I got the car back. Repair free of charge. I was not able to talk to the dealership how it happened since I picked up the car late at night. I will call them tomorrow morning to get a possible explanation what happened. Hope we get an answer worth sharing here. No hassle free repair ,,,,,, thumbs up MAZDA.

@Anchorman
I got the car back. Repair free of charge. I was not able to talk to the dealership how it happened since I picked up the car late at night. I will call them tomorrow morning to get a possible explanation what happened. Hope we get an answer worth sharing here. No hassle free repair ,,,,,, thumbs up MAZDA.

Good to hear. Hopefully they did find a cause. That would be interesting to hear.

Talked to service department. They didnt find any signs of impact that would have caused it to deatch. The only possible thing is the two lower clips/fasteners that came off. Probably he say is just one i million factory thingy. Everything is good. CX5 is back to looking great

Talked to service department. They didnt find any signs of impact that would have caused it to deatch. The only possible thing is the two lower clips/fasteners that came off. Probably he say is just one i million factory thingy. Everything is good. CX5 is back to looking great

2 in a million apparently ;-)

I'm missing a front mudflap on my 17. It was gone about 10 days in to ownership, still under 500 miles on the car when it went. It came installed when I bought the car and I haven't had time this holiday season to contact the dealership.

I'm missing a front mudflap on my 17. It was gone about 10 days in to ownership, still under 500 miles on the car when it went. It came installed when I bought the car and I haven't had time this holiday season to contact the dealership.

Is there anything else missing, i.e. any other parts of the bodywork?

The trim is still there but is now unattached to the body of the car in the area that the mudflap had been. I assume there were clips holding the mudflap on and those are missing. I actually do think I kicked up something on the highway.

Mazda have issued a TSB for the CX-3 saying that snow/ice impact can cause detachment of trim. It may be the same but if you look at the fixing of the 17 CX-5 mudflap, it would be virtually impossible for it to fall off if it was fixed correctly.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I was a bit surprised. I did kick something up on the highway but even so, I don't see how that would knock off the clips holding the mud flap on. I'm hoping the dealership will replace it without an issue, especially seeing the diagrams you linked.

Back