Custom Performance Engineering's SPEED3 downpipe is finally available!

oh man I can't wait until you guys get control of the throttle you will be able to vastly improve the drivability of the car. NO MORE LAG and BOOST UNTIL REDLINE!!!!! Sorry I am excited. You guys are doing great work, thank you.

I can't believe the stock internals will potentially take all of these changes!! As mentioned above, I also plan to temporarily run the down pipe with my cp-e intake, on my car already, and bottle-neck it a little until I get some mad dough from mazda. Looking forward to the cp-e method to flesh out!!

dread said:
oh man I can't wait until you guys get control of the throttle you will be able to vastly improve the drivability of the car. NO MORE LAG and BOOST UNTIL REDLINE!!!!! Sorry I am excited. You guys are doing great work, thank you.

sixerjdm said:
I can't believe the stock internals will potentially take all of these changes!! As mentioned above, I also plan to temporarily run the down pipe with my cp-e intake, on my car already, and bottle-neck it a little until I get some mad dough from mazda. Looking forward to the cp-e method to flesh out!!

This engine is actually very special being direct injected and turbocharged. We're finding that the direct injection system can support A LOT of horsepower before upgrades are required. The turbo isn't as over-engineered as the fuel system, but there is still some room to play.

But we're frustrated by how sensitive the ECU is to changes, and the multitude of feedback loops this car utilizes. We found the throttle limits the amount of boost you can make in not only the first two or three gears, but it even steps in through 4th gear. Getting control of the wastegate solenoid helps to some degree, but you can open the wastegate 100% and you're not going to make boost (ie. power) if the throttle is closed. You all can thank Mazda for this, as this is the way they "limit power in the first few gears."

We should be recording some data logs as we develop the new SPEED3 board, so we'll share the information with everybody as it comes in. We can record everything from injector pulse-width to wastegate duty cycle, so we have a lot of fun ahead of us :)

Jordan

www.cp-e.com said:
Hah, well, you have an excellent excuse for not knowing what a Standback is :D

Standback is the name of our new engine controller, commonly referred to as a piggyback. There are really two, maybe three different types of engine management. A piggyback tuning controller will intercept sensor signals and alter them to make the engine to respond a certain way. For instance, to eliminate the fuel cut issue due to too much boost, we lie to the MAP sensor about how much boost the engine actually seeing. That way the engine has no idea that you're running higher than normal boost levels.

But our tuner isn't really a piggyback since it has other capabilities beyond altering sensor signals. There's a PID feedback loop which can dictate how much boost you'd like to see, instead of using a duty cycle above or below the factory settings. Its also got data logging capabilities, switchable maps, and can even be altered to run injectors directly. So it is really a mix between a STANDalone engine management, and a piggyBACK engine tuner. So, we call it a StandBack, which we think is catchy and also says that this is more than just an ordinary piggyback.

So really, Standback is just our clever name for our upcoming engine tuner :D

Jordan

[Mr. Burns voice]Ehhhhxcellent Smithers[/Mr. Burns voice]

If only I'd gotten into tuning with my Eclipse GSX, I'd know all this chit already.

:D

I look forward to...well, EVERYTHING!!

Jordan

I ordered my CP-E intake about the first week in Feb. still have not received it yet. I called and was told maybe this week does that still stand or were there some other time constraints. Please let me know thanks

gsxr75001 said:
Jordan

I ordered my CP-E intake about the first week in Feb. still have not received it yet. I called and was told maybe this week does that still stand or were there some other time constraints. Please let me know thanks

First of all, we're very sorry for the delay!

It all depends on who you ordered it from, where you are on their list, and what color you ordered. If you ordered directly from us then you should call Josh Adams here at cp-e (301-576-6142) for the latest info. We have a batch of intakes at the powdercoaters right now, and they should ship out sometime tomorrow. Whether or not one of those intakes is yours is probably a good question for your specific vendor however. I'm sorry I don't have more definitive information for you.

Jordan

wow great information on the "STANDBACK" (hope you guys get that name copy righted or something as i can imagine its going to catch and you should have the rights)

tsunami said:
wow great information on the "STANDBACK" (hope you guys get that name copy righted or something as i can imagine its going to catch and you should have the rights)

Thanks!! (headbang)

As soon as we release the product I'm sure Josh and Lou (two of the three owners oc cp-e) will work on trademarking the name. We just thought it was an interesting way to seperate our product from other piggyback-like units, so the end-user knows that there's more to this tuner than just altering sensor signals.

Jordan

Forget about the sucky warranty we got with mazda NONDUAL. I'm not worried about it. Although I do have a trust worthy mechanic here in Miami. I understand what you mean in L.A. I was raised there. Anyway, screw the warranty, as soon as I get my turbo back exhaust its being applied with no hesitation. Of course with the high flow cat. I also have the HKS BOV and CAI from cp-e and it is great. Big difference already. Believe me, you won't be disappointed with the quality of cp-e's workmanship.

flyrevs said:
Question for CP-E: I would like to know if you buy the CP-E downpipe, can you bolt up the stock mazda exhaust to it without modifying anything ?
I'm thinking that the downpipe may give me the best bang for the buck since the stock Mazda exhaust is already 3". Of course I know the full monty from CP-E would yield more gains, but I can't afford the whole package at this time (and my wife would kill me if I spend another $1300 after dropping over $300 for a CAI). So how bout it ? Will the stock Mazda speed3 exhaust bolt up to the CP-E downpipe without modifing anything ? Thanks a lot CP-E you guys are great!

PS> I can't wait for your tuner to come out.

Don't know if anyone has responded but, the stock exhaust system is not 3", it is a little under 2.5".

knowledge007 said:
Forget about the sucky warranty we got with mazda NONDUAL. I'm not worried about it. Although I do have a trust worthy mechanic here in Miami. I understand what you mean in L.A. I was raised there. Anyway, screw the warranty, as soon as I get my turbo back exhaust its being applied with no hesitation. Of course with the high flow cat. I also have the HKS BOV and CAI from cp-e and it is great. Big difference already. Believe me, you won't be disappointed with the quality of cp-e's workmanship.

Haven't had warranty work done yet, but I'm sure claiming warranty work isn't that bad. Nondual had his whole engine/tranny replaced under warranty. It seems like dealers favour their MS owners too, and for good reason.
It only gets hard to get warranty when you have mods.

Back