custom mesh grill, cost - $3

dhchin

Yes, I made my own custom mesh grills for a total just under $3. I used two pieces of rain gutter guards from Home Depot, each costing $1.17.

However, you might be able to notice the small black knobs on the grill. Those are the zip ties I used to hold it on. I plan on buying clear zip ties later this week, which will not show at all. That will set me back another couple of bucks.

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

I clicked on this post thinking..."great, another ghetto mod". But to my surprise, it looks good. (thumb)

Thanks. Hey, I clicked on you "www" hoping to see pics of your mp3, but is was filled with pics of other cars. Where are they?:(

To do the grills, I took them both off. I did a search found a forum talking about the subject in depth. There was a link to one person's web site with detailed info on taking off the top grill, and for the bottom grill, I got on the ground and spotted all the clips, using a screwdriver to disengage them.

THe grills are made of rustproofed metal.

The zip ties are black, but I intend to replace them with the clear ones

You can actually see lees of the stock grill in person. The flash on the camera shows the stock grill even more than it does in person

On the bottom grill, I did wrap around the stock, which could lead to paint being scraped. However, on the top grill I just traced the outline of hte grill, and put it right inside of the stock one, so there will be no scraping. I highly recomend you do this on the top and the bottom.

To cut the metal, I used heavy duty wire cutters that I found in an old tool box. They worked pretty well, but were kind of dull by the endof the project. I used a sharpe permanent marker to do the tracing.

Hopefully I answered all of your questions. If not, feel free to ask away.

GOOD LUCK!

Will it look the same if you put the rain gutter guards just in front of the stock grill and just attach it?

sorry man... i really want to do this and i'm a newb :(
Thx

If you look at the second picture, you will see more closley. The top grill, I just put right on top. The bottom grill, I wraped around. Personally, if I were to do it again I would just put it straight on top. Better results, and safer from scratches. Just make sure you don't cut too much so there is a big black gap somewhere around the edge.

Hey i think it looks good but you need to slap some red vinyl across that black strip above your mazda emblem i think it would look sharp.I did it to my 5 and it looks dope.If you noticed the MAZDASPEED has that part painted to match the car now.Just my 2 peace.

Where is your front Roof Rack?

The car looks good, but i was wondering why you dont have your front roof rack on? I guess your using the rear one to look like a wing in the back.

I'm not really using it as a wing, that would just be silly. Plus, I hate the way wings look on cars that are slow as ars, and on hatchbacks. However, I did think htat it made the car a little more visually pleasing. I'm in design, and I thought that it gave the optical illusion that the front of the car is lower than the rear. It acually does make the car look like it is lower to the ground. If I had the money, I would buy lowering springs, but instead I am buying a house. =)

Plus, it cuts that anoying wind noise when the sunroof is open.

Last edited:
Hey Technical5

Thanks for the idea.
I'll try it out tonight with some of my leftover vinyl.

BTW, your p5 looks really sharp. The white looks really crisp with the tinted windows. :cool:

About the grill, i was thinking of doing the same, just gettin some material from home depot.....i need instructions on how to do it tho, and that site does not work..........Did u take off the mazda symbol then put on the grill and then put the symbol back on?? For the top and bottom grill, the existing black stock grill is still there and u put the mesh on top of it?

i am going to try this as well...i believe that you just put it on top of the stock grills...ive been looking at it and i think its possible...

u only did the bottom? how did u get teh stock grille off? and how did u fasten the mesh? I have a silver P5, i dunno how a grille like that would look on a colour like mine............................ne comments or pictures?!?!??!

Back