Custom iPod Installation (DIE 56k DIE!!!)

Badger Biker

:
2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Not being happy with having wires everywhere, or always having my cig lighter in use (I prefer a clean look) I undertook a fun little project and here are some pictures of the process for those that love pictures, and want to see a really cool installation. :D

Things I used:
For mounting the iPod: ProClip iPod Dash Mount + Adjustable iPod Mount - http://www.proclipusa.com

For a power supply and a direct line-in for Audio: Monster Cable iCarCharger - http://www.monstercable.com/computer/productPageComputer.asp?pin=2132

*PIE Module and Connecting cable (See other thread about this)

*Monster Cable iCable to connect PIE to the iCarCharger - http://www.monstercable.com/computer/productPageComputer.asp?pin=1731

*12V Cigarette Lighter

I first removed the Cig lighter/Airbag light assembly, disconnected all the cables and set it out for photographing with the other things I used.

1.jpg

(Not shown: PIE and Y Cable, already installed into the back of the radio)

The stock pro-clip mount coverd just a millimeter or two of the right-side heater controls, and that bugged me. I dremeled the little SOB and sanded it down till I was happy.

2.jpg

To give the charger a smooth mounting surface, you have to remove all the ribs on the back of the plastic interior peice. I used a dremel tool and then a wood scraping thingy to make it perfectly smooth. (Picture is pre-smoothing)

3.jpg

I then removed the silver ring/black monstercable logo form the charger. BECAREFUL TO NOT DESTROY THE RING. The ring is not glued down, but the black plastic peice is. It takes a bit of prying, but you should be able to do it eventually. Work it, work it good and hard and then your formerally 1 peice charger will be in 3 peices.

4.jpg

Using drill bits of graduated sizes, I proceeded to drill a 3/4" hole in the center of the unit. Drillbit was a little off so I don't have a perfect circle - not a big deal, as this is hidden in the final product anyways.

5.jpg

Using hot glue I then glued the charger to the back of the unit. Picture shows a single bead. I went back after the picture and glued the hell out of that thing. I do NOT want it falling off. So use glue, epoxy, tacky glue, cement ... whatever. Just make sure it won't come off.

6.jpg

This is what the unit looks like from the other side all glued in place:

7.jpg

I used more hot glue to fill in the edges of the silver ring and keep the black peice in place. There is NO place to glue the ring in place if you do not do this. Put some hot glue around the edges, then quickly put it on a perfectly flat (dense) surface. Remove, and do it to more. Do a quarter of the inside of the ring at a time so the glue won't harden too quickly on you. (Don't fill the inside of the screen, just the silver ring) When you are all done, sand it a little bit, get rid of all extra glue that might have spilled out on the sides, and put the ring into place. I HIGHLY recommend Arleen's tacky art glue for this. It allows you to place the ring in place, and then move it around to perfectly center it. Excess can be wiped away, and taken off with a little water if left to dry.

8.jpg

Tap int othe cig lighter (orange = power, other = negative) and put your added cig lighter element onto your charger.

9.jpg

Remove the passenger left side footrest panel, it gives you easy access to run wires.

10.jpg

I ran the Y cable wire from the back of the stereo through the interior of the dash and had it come out where you see it. The curled cable of the charger comes out in the same area (just run through the back of the panel, you will be able to see how when you get in there) and in a rather smart bit of engineering, I put the Y cable in the curls of the charger for a nice clean look. Also notice in this picture you can see the iPod and the iPod holder already in place. Proclip gives you good instructions for installation of this mount. Hook everything up, turn on the car and you are done.

11.jpg

The charger is unique in that it has a 3 light setting depending on charge. Red for quick charge, amber for trickle, and Green (Matches the green lights already in the dash and climate controls 100% perfectly) for when the unit is all charged up.

Of course, no project would be compete with a picture of how it looks at night, so here it is for all to enjoy:

final.jpg

Questions and comments are welcome, and often encouraged. This is a little over the top, I admit, but I'm just obsessive like that.

(mj)

Tron.....

Looks good man. What did you use for foot well lighting...looks like blue LEDs instead of a cold cathode UV... I'm finishing my foot-well and under-seat lights with blacklight cold caths. I just put in some blue LEDs into the cupholder for the illumination effect on clear bottles... groovy (hippy)

I'm liking the LEDs for intensity VS size. (wow)

I'd like to use some EL wire in the cabin but I don't want it to look cheezy.. It'll be tough but I'm sure it can be done well...but lighting is a thin line from nice to
rice.... (thumb)

PS!!!! Your gauge cluster looks brighter in both the EL blue and red area glow...... did you do anything up there???

So anybody here good with LEDs and resistor values??? (gossip)

BTW the monstercable charger install is pretty trick, :eek:

Last edited:
Silver Bull3t said:
Looks good man. What did you use for foot well lighting...looks like blue LEDs instead of a cold cathode UV... I'm finishing my foot-well and under-seat lights with blacklight cold caths. I just put in some blue LEDs into the cupholder for the illumination effect on clear bottles... groovy (hippy)

I'm liking the LEDs for intensity VS size. (wow)

I'd like to use some EL wire in the cabin but I don't want it to look cheezy.. It'll be tough but I'm sure it can be done well...but lighting is a thin line from nice to
rice.... (thumb)

PS!!!! Your gauge cluster looks brighter in both the EL blue and red area glow...... did you do anything up there???

I actually used 12" streetglow Mini neons for my footwells, NOT LEDs. (cool)

Saw your cupholders, VERY nice looking as well.

Everything is brighter than normal, as I said in the post. The shutter was open for a few seconds, so that took in all available light. Pay attention to the iPod screen, you can really see the difference in brightness with that.

EL wire has been on my mind lately as well. I just wonder how I could get it to look good.

Thought of doing that too... but decided to just get a iTrip for my iPhoto......

Sound quality for sure will be slightly worse than direct line in but I am ok as I listen to mostly House/Dance tunes..

Will do a full alpine + iPod link once I am done with the performance/handling mods.... :)

hey badger i have a couple questions for you (hope you don't mind lists)
1. How hard is it to hook up the actual audio connections?
2. I'm assuming you press the tape/md on your radio to listen to the ipod?
3. How is the audio quality?
thanks in advance.

hey i noticed that you mentioned a pie module and connector. then you said "see other thread about this." i put pie module into the forum search and i came up blank. what thread are you speaking of?

mobomelter said:
hey badger i have a couple questions for you (hope you don't mind lists)
1. How hard is it to hook up the actual audio connections?
2. I'm assuming you press the tape/md on your radio to listen to the ipod?
3. How is the audio quality?
thanks in advance.

1. Very easy. Plug and play!

2. Actually, you have to hit the CD button twice to get to the "EX" setting on the stereo. Once you do that you can listen to the Aux-in.

3. Audio quality from the iPod is a direct line in and the quality is perfect from the iPod. Just make sure you have good recordings on there and you are golden!

mobomelter said:
hey i noticed that you mentioned a pie module and connector. then you said "see other thread about this." i put pie module into the forum search and i came up blank. what thread are you speaking of?

Check out this thread: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65443&highlight=PIE

You need the PIE Module for the Mazda3 + the Alpine Connection Cable to give yourself the RCA outputs.

Happy to answer any other questions that you may have! :D

thanks. i have a couple more questions about all of this
1. does anything need to be done past plugging in the PIE module and then the wires? any soldering involved?
2. Is there a how-to anywhere on how to remove the stock radio?
thanks again in advance.

Last edited:
badger biker, i have almost the same set up in my 03 es. I too kind of dont like the wires visible. I use the pro clip and the same charger. Are you experiancing any ground loop noise? That is my only gripe using the lighter for power

Mobo:

1) Plug and play. No soldering required!

2) I guess I have a project for later this weekend ;) There is one, but the pictures aren't the greatest always: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/495957/2

Madduck: No ground loop noise at all, in fact everything is silent except for the music! As you can see, I wired mine up so that I don't have to use the cig lighter element for power - you might want to give this a go.

thanks again badger. those pictures are perfect. now all i have to do is get an ipod off ebay..... (i refuse to pay full price)

Edit: Purchased an 3rd Gen 10 gig off ebay for $180 with 6 months of the warranty left! Thats a deal.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about doing this in my car, I want a hardwired connection. I was thinking about doing something similar to yours, but a little cleaner looking. I already have an aftermarket deck, with aux-ins. I want to add a lighter plug way back somewhere, and get an iPod charger that has a mini plug on the charger and hook it up through there, so all there is is a dock connector cord hanging out that I plug in, and it charges and plays through my stereo. It shouldn't be that hard, I just have to think about it for a little bit.

Scott D. said:
I'm thinking about doing this in my car, I want a hardwired connection. I was thinking about doing something similar to yours, but a little cleaner looking. I already have an aftermarket deck, with aux-ins. I want to add a lighter plug way back somewhere, and get an iPod charger that has a mini plug on the charger and hook it up through there, so all there is is a dock connector cord hanging out that I plug in, and it charges and plays through my stereo. It shouldn't be that hard, I just have to think about it for a little bit.

Lets see if I got it right ... you want a setup like mine, but only with a single wire coming out of the direct line in for power *and* sound? (that's what you mean by cleaner, right?)

I wish I could help you out with that, I don't know anyone who makes one of those yet. Keep us updated, I would be curious as well.

Badger Biker said:
1. Very easy. Plug and play!

2. Actually, you have to hit the CD button twice to get to the "EX" setting on the stereo. Once you do that you can listen to the Aux-in.

3. Audio quality from the iPod is a direct line in and the quality is perfect from the iPod. Just make sure you have good recordings on there and you are golden!

My question is... are you still able to access the aux-in thru the stearing wheel controls? i noticed that you said you have to push the CD button twice but i just wanted to know if you can just use the mode button on the stearing wheel to get to it.

Thanks

David James

Back