custom exhaust question?

sic77

:
03 MSP #418
i have a shop where i live that is going to do my exhaust for me. it is going to be turbo back type exhaust with no cats. they are going to do it for 130should i have them put a high flow cat on or just leave it without one?

Where do you live? Does your area require emissions testing?

Personally, I'd put one in anyway. It's not a big enough performance hit not to.

about 15 minutes or so outside of tifton and they do no emissions that i can think of.

I doubt they would. It's mostly counties in and arnd Atlata. The last year I was down there, there were rumblings of them doing it for the Macon / WR area soon as well

Even if you did have emissions and no cat, it is easy to pass. The only problem I would see is if you took your car to a shop to work on, they might hassle you, but of course you are modding a car, so a dealership would hassle you with or without a cat.

aMaff said:
Personally, I'd put one in anyway. It's not a big enough performance hit not to.

speak for yourself its a turbo car there is alot of gain to be had from losing the cat

Georgia just scans for codes on anything pre 96 (I think is the cutoff).

And Korey, you're right, I didn't notice it was a speed.

was thinking that too, when I first read Andrews post, I felt a huge gain when removing the cat.

will i get any cel? or do i need to get them to make an adapter for the sensor or sensor's?

there is something you can buy at autozone. You then just unplug the O2 sensor, put that in, and plug the O2 sensor into that. I will let Korey or Scott tell you what you have to buy.

what kevin is talking about is a one of the cel fixes

what you need to do is have them weld in an O2 bung into the exhaust around the area of the stock o2 sensor. Then head to autozone or advance and pick up a package of two spark plug non foulers. then you need to drill one out in order to fit the 02 into it and finally screw the second non fouler onto the end of the first one and put it into the exhaust bung. effectivly this decreases the amount of exhaust the o2 sees and still keeps it hot.

yeah thats it i got the ones from advance i think with kevins i was able to just put the o2 in one nonfouler so i didnt have to drill

so just go to advance and tell them i need a package of two spark plug non foulers and they should know what i am talking about. also do i need to get something to get welded onto the exhaust so the sensor can screw into. or will that come in that package from advance?

no. some exhausts will have a bung already welded in where the 2nd o2 sensor goes, but if it's custom, it probably won't have. Just have the shop weld in an o2 bung down there

Back