Curt hitch installation instructions

Just installed the Curt Class II just now. I forgot how long it took, under an hour.
I had ZERO issues pulling the rubber off and putting it back on, just a couple squirts of WD40 and it came right off very easily and got back on.
And I do agree, leave the fish wire on the screw, and when putting the hitch up, put the wire through the hitch so you can align it to the screws easily.
Needed 1 person to help me just to hold it up, if you're a bigger stronger guy, you can do it yourself.
attachment.php

Last edited:
If you had the car up on a rack, maybe. Otherwise, no way!

I'm 5'6", 165lbs. See my driveway? I backed the car up so the back side is hanging off, the driveway is a bit of a a down slope. I almost was able to do it myself but I was having issues aligning it. I had to ask for help.
Some other dude on the forum did it himself he says.

I'm 5'6", 165lbs. See my driveway? I backed the car up so the back side is hanging off, the driveway is a bit of a a down slope. I almost was able to do it myself but I was having issues aligning it. I had to ask for help.
Some other dude on the forum did it himself he says.
I did it exactly like you did (sloping driveway and all) and yes, alignment is the problem. You need at least three hands, preferably four.

I backed mine up on ramps to do it. There was a lot of clearance once if was an extra foot in the air. 110 ft lbs is no joke when you have to brace a foot on the opposite wheel and keep your butt from sliding. Glad to have it though. I like the bike rack and soon we'll be hunting a trailer to haul a motorcycle to the track.

Just put my class 2 on yesterday. I torqued it to 75ft/lbs as per the included printed instructions. I guess I will need to get back under and torque it up to 110ft/lbs. Ugh.

Just put my class 2 on yesterday. I torqued it to 75ft/lbs as per the included printed instructions. I guess I will need to get back under and torque it up to 110ft/lbs. Ugh.

Why? Read the first page, it's 75lbs.

Curts web instructions state 110ftlbs for the class 2. The included instructions state 75 lbs. I guess I need to call Curt myself.

I did it exactly like you did (sloping driveway and all) and yes, alignment is the problem. You need at least three hands, preferably four.
I had the hitch installed by 2 guys and it felt they could've used my help, too... I just didn't want to get dirty ;) But it looks good! I'll post a pic when I find it, somehow it disappeared from my phone.

If you had the car up on a rack, maybe. Otherwise, no way!

I installed my class 3 curt trailer hitch by myself. It was a bit of a work out, but only took me about an hour. I used soapy water for the muffler hangers and they came right off.

Installed my Curtis Class III last night. The rubber muffler hangers are a pain in the butt. Having another person help lift the hitch into place is helpful. Pay special attention when lifting the hitch into place so that the bolts don't get accidently lodged into the frame. :)
Overall the hitch looks good and discrete.

It sure would be easier with a second person, but I didn't have one available. The key to keeping the bolts from getting stuck in the frame is to leave the pull wires on until you start the nuts. Remove the pull wires one at a time.

It sure would be easier with a second person, but I didn't have one available. The key to keeping the bolts from getting stuck in the frame is to leave the pull wires on until you start the nuts. Remove the pull wires one at a time.
...just like the instructions say!

Back