Current CPE standback owners/users

trufanatic

:
2008 Red MS3
Can you chime in please. Any codes or any fuel cut problems? i cant wait on the PnP standback since a turbo upgrade is finally out.

I have it and I'm untuned still. I got codes with the Mazdaspeed intake so I sold that and I put on a Cobb and got the same codes once. I added a maf scalar as CP-E had suggested for the MS intake and it fixed the Cobb one. I run my clip at 15 psi with 16 psi of boost. I don't fuel cut often, but I have driven less than 1000 miles since November so I can't say if maybe I just don't beat the car. I have the studders that the coil spring mod and colder plugs didn't fix. I upgraded to the Standback V2 and have not put that back in the car yet to see software or hardware improvements. I am still waiting for a fuel pump and tune but, that should be within the next few weeks.

no problems at all. currently mine is off getting v2 upgrade. but when i had it, the only problem i had was adjusting the BPV because of the extra boost. fuel cut is triggered by a lot of things, but some of it can be tuned out with the standback. with my i\tbe\standback, i never had any problems with fuel cut, but that is not to say i won't when i put on the FMIC...

YOU WILL RUN OUT OF FUEL WITH BASIC BOLT ONS EVEN ON STOCK BOOST.

Now why do people have to say that and scare owners away from modding.

The OP is located in FL...our current temps are +80*...
I've never experienced fuel cut, lean conditions, shutter, or boost cut...
Its too warm in Florida to have the issues the Nothern boys have had.

based on several phone calls from different enthusiasts who have owned and gotten professional tuning with the standback units... the standback does do some inconsistant things, perhaps related to weather.

based on several phone calls from different enthusiasts who have owned and gotten professional tuning with the standback units... the standback does do some inconsistant things, perhaps related to weather.

My tuner noted that everytime we added something it would overcorrect the next. We could not replicate runs....

after spending 2 hours on the dyno with the new fuel pump we decided to just let it run the base map at 17psi.... the weirdest thing was the leaner we made the car off that rich ass base it would pick up like 2 hp. It was nuts. It was like what is the point of tuning if making it leaner cant be replicated and doesnt make the car faster when it happens anyway..

Hes gonna call them today.... I dont hate the standback... it is what it is. I also dont think its anything up to the task of being a everyday tuning device for big modders in its current form.... Makes raising boost pretty easy though:)

Niether the stand back or the XEDE are great solutions for tuning. Except in the case of the XEDE/PROcedes I have seen on 335is, none of the interceptors really are. They will make due for now, but really, a complete standalone or flash is needed.

Its piggyback boys, the ecu will always do its magic to change things back the way it likes it. Therefore throwing codes and such. Nothing will be failproof and for the money it costs I think safc neo would be the better choice for me. Main point being you never want to add fuel with piggyback only take out. The safc neo does that great. I have no want to add or take away timing. The ms3 has a very conservative timing map and im fine with it staying that way. When I have time and money Ill be doing a safc neo. Im betting I will be able to gain good topend by leaning my car out. Its very rich still.

every1 who posted a negative opinion of the standback, shall be banned(upbum)

it is what it is dude. i want to hear both the good and the bad because i want to start having fun with my car.

BTW, i've owned a slew of turbo cars. But a piggyback causing an ecu to throw a code because you are not using the intake from the same manufacturer as the EMS is absurd, i've never heard of anything like that.

Standback has been known to throw a code on every intake but the cpe intake...

The datalogging on V1 is a mess, V2 ive never seen

Other forums of fuel cut caused by running lean, running out of fuel, temperatures, will nto be fixed by the standback.

YOU WILL RUN OUT OF FUEL WITH BASIC BOLT ONS EVEN ON STOCK BOOST.

i have an injen intake, and i have not had any problems... so what are you talking about?

i have not had a problem with their data logging with V1, and V2 is even easier and it allows you to log more stuff.

to a degree, you can tune out fuel cut with the standback. but that isn't the cure all to the problem. neither is the AP. the truth is, people are still trying to figure out everything about fuel cut, since it seems to happen for multiple reasons. some people run out of fuel with bolt ons, some dont. i live in jersey, and i have driven around in cold temps, but i have yet to experience fuel cut, and i have an intake and tbe.

it is what it is dude. i want to hear both the good and the bad because i want to start having fun with my car.

BTW, i've owned a slew of turbo cars. But a piggyback causing an ecu to throw a code because you are not using the intake from the same manufacturer as the EMS is absurd, i've never heard of anything like that.

fwiw.... Ive never had a code that set off my ms cai. I think its all hit or miss with this thing.

read craigs post, thats what im talking about. hes one of many

oh I know... thats what I mean by hit or miss. Im thinking piggybacks are just not a long term solution. Theyre too inconsistent for larger applications.

There is that new procede that dynoper4mance is using in Georgia. They claim its like the upgrade version of Xede and full pnp. If its like the beamers than that might be something.

Theres gonna be a ton of options available soon.... I am just hoping the standback can somehow get me through the new turbo upgrade if I need to adjust something.

Its piggyback boys, the ecu will always do its magic to change things back the way it likes it. Therefore throwing codes and such. Nothing will be failproof and for the money it costs I think safc neo would be the better choice for me. Main point being you never want to add fuel with piggyback only take out. The safc neo does that great. I have no want to add or take away timing. The ms3 has a very conservative timing map and im fine with it staying that way. When I have time and money Ill be doing a safc neo. Im betting I will be able to gain good topend by leaning my car out. Its very rich still.

fyi, you'll nead a DIS- less tach driver like the MSD unit. just tap off the coil signals.

fyi, you'll nead a DIS- less tach driver like the MSD unit. just tap off the coil signals.

Good looking out, but I already knew that. Soon, we will see what kinda gains I can get from pump and then leaning it out. I bet on race gas and leaning it out alot ill gain some good power.

im still curious if ure even going to need to lean teh car out after the ic upgrade. My car runs pretty much spot on the way it is, no need to lean it out(scratch)

Hell yeah my car was going lean as hell with that ms cai on the damn thing and then settling around 11 up top. I dont think you can lean this bastard out for power, unless the ecu does it on its own.

Thats why Im getting a damn new turbo.

Well in the topend is where Im talking about. My car is pig rich up top and has some power sitting there waiting for me to TAKE IT> LOL

your car is a freak Chris and mine doesnt hold boost like yours. So Im guessing thats the difference. its gotta be the altitude or something. We will see once the fmic goes on. Im hoping it holds better. Im sure it will still be rich up top though. My car is in the mid 10s up top. I wanna be around 12.0 and I dont see the fmic leaning me out a full point and a half. The tmic didnt. The leanest my car has been is around 11.2 and thats rich for my liking. 11.8-12.2 for me.

ps. I dont go off the dyno wideband like most. I base off what my uego says. Much more accurate.

Randy did you log any runs on the standback to see where the afrs where??? Not off the dyno

I installed the V2 today and did not have much luck. I spoke to Jordan and figured out how to erase and reinstall the drivers and programer software. I am getting a "read error '5'" any time I try to read or verify a map in the standback. I loaded the base tune they include but once I close the programer and reopen it I can not retrive my map. I have to load a saved copy from my pc and then reload it up to the standback I guess. I know they mentioned a computer glitch so I wonder if this is it.

Last edited:
Look like my problems may be in my computer. Ill report back to everyone how the v2 works when I have a new laptop.

Last edited:
My tuner noted that everytime we added something it would overcorrect the next. We could not replicate runs....

Its piggyback boys, the ecu will always do its magic to change things back the way it likes it. Therefore throwing codes and such.

i agree with both....and i do have cel on/off during cold start the car will die then cel....drive awhile....start again cel its gone....car drive perfectly fine with no problem what so ever....my standback is tuned and my tuner said the same thing what palerider's tuner said....

Well in the topend is where Im talking about. My car is pig rich up top and has some power sitting there waiting for me to TAKE IT> LOL

your car is a freak Chris and mine doesnt hold boost like yours. So Im guessing thats the difference. its gotta be the altitude or something. We will see once the fmic goes on. Im hoping it holds better. Im sure it will still be rich up top though. My car is in the mid 10s up top. I wanna be around 12.0 and I dont see the fmic leaning me out a full point and a half. The tmic didnt. The leanest my car has been is around 11.2 and thats rich for my liking. 11.8-12.2 for me.

ps. I dont go off the dyno wideband like most. I base off what my uego says. Much more accurate.

Randy did you log any runs on the standback to see where the afrs where??? Not off the dyno

Judging from articals on direct injection motors, these motors are meant to run leaner up top than the good ol' tuning tradition (mid 11's).

Time to call OCT, APR, GIAC and anyone else that makes chips/flashes for the 2.0t. (attn)

And, if I recall correctly the SAFC 2 has more tuning points than the new NEO. (Waiting for the results from that install. (drive2))
Waiting for 11.** with your new setup. (attn)

Back