Crush Washer/Gasket Size ID or anyone have a p/n for Mazda'a (Oil change)

Jonesey

:
CX-5 6MT
I replaced the gasket crush washer using 14mm nylon gasket and I'm not so sure so I am wondering if anyone knows the part number for Mazda's spec gasket/cruch washer?

I threw out the metal one (after the first oil change) that came with the drain plug - I should have kept it to measure it!

You really don't need to replace these as they are not really "crush" washers; simply aluminum flat washers. Same ones Miata owners use for the life of the car!

You really don't need to replace these as they are not really "crush" washers; simply aluminum flat washers. Same ones Miata owners use for the life of the car!

Is that right? Does Mazda tell Miata owners to use the same gasket washer over and over?

Of course not, but we do.

As with all vehicles that use a "crush" washer for oil pans, if you torque the drain plug as specified, it will indeed be "crushed" and seat to the irregularities of the metal of the oil pan. Continued use of the same washer would be fine if you could place it exactly in the same clock position every time.

As with all vehicles that use a "crush" washer for oil pans, if you torque the drain plug as specified, it will indeed be "crushed" and seat to the irregularities of the metal of the oil pan. Continued use of the same washer would be fine if you could place it exactly in the same clock position every time.
I would question the use of the term "crush" washer for this item. This is simply an aluminum flat washer that conforms to whatever irregularities might exist between the drain plug and the oil pan boss interface. My Nissan Frontier, which I got rid of to get the CX-5, had a true crush-type washer which is copper, screws onto the drain plug and is made in such a way that it actually crushes and flattens out as the plug is torqued down on it. I changed the oil on my CX-5 the other day using the original washer and have had no problems with seepage. That said, I have decided to change it on future oil changes because it is so muuch thinner than the one on my Miata and could be subject to distortion with multiple uses. All the result of Mazda's weight reduction efforts on the SkyActiv platform. It's amazing how much smaller and lighter the drain plug is than typical Mazda plugs!

I bought a couple of filters from the dealer for $7 each and they taped a washer to the box of each for free. They also sold me 10 qts of the Mazda moly oil for $7 each.

Crush washers are common on many cars for oil drain plugs. Yes, you are supposed to replace them. They are normally made of aluminum or (older) copper. They have been around for decades. You don't have to replace them every time. However, after some reuses, and especially if the drain plug is over torqued, the next time it may drip a little. So, if you have one, replace it. I always keep a couple of used ones hanging around. If you need to reuse one, don't worry about it, just look for drips.

Back