Cruise for Canadian GS owners

:
Mazda5
Folks,
Thanks to the help from Zoom5Zoom and Jay from Montgomery Mazda, I now have cruise on the GS. Took an hour but it is in and totally functional..

Gives my leg a break !!

Thanks,

Medicman

Medicman said:
Folks,
Thanks to the help from Zoom5Zoom and Jay from Montgomery Mazda, I now have cruise on the GS. Took an hour but it is in and totally functional..

Gives my leg a break !!

Thanks,

Medicman

And the cost was??????

Congrats Medicman..... It must of been easy: even you can do it (poke)

Total cost installed by mechanic will run ya about 327 plus taxes.

Last edited:
Zoom5Zoom said:
Congrats Medicman..... I must of been easy: even you can do it (poke)

Total cost installed by mechanic will run ya about 327 plus taxes.

I bought the parts from Jason at Montgomery Mazda... steering switch $126.00 US and the stop switch $6.20 US , shipping was free ( over $100.00).

Medicman said:
I bought the parts from Jason at Montgomery Mazda... steering switch $126.00 US and the stop switch $6.20 US , shipping was free ( over $100.00).
Did you had to pay for duty? I'm looking to buy a roof rack.

sweet

Cool!

The girl at Windsor Mazda told me it would cost $800 by a mechanic she knew. The only thing the GT had that I wanted was cruise and I wasn't about to drop 3k for the GT. I think Mazda did this to get more people to get the GT.

tr6canuck said:
Cool!

The girl at Windsor Mazda told me it would cost $800 by a mechanic she knew. The only thing the GT had that I wanted was cruise and I wasn't about to drop 3k for the GT. I think Mazda did this to get more people to get the GT.

Shop around!
Mazda de Laval: $325.00 cad
Bourassa Mazda: $280.00 cad

These are Montral region dealers, installation included!

Lets be clear on what your paying for!!!

Original mazda cruise switch installed on steering wheel and a break switch. Anything else is aftermarket.... thats to the point. (BTW the switch illuminates like your audio control switch on the other side of the wheel and is also red light illuminated)

tr6canuck if you need some parts shipped to ya or if your in ottawa give me a shout I can help ya out...

tr6canuck said:
Cool!

But do keep in mind that the GT gives you the moonroof, fog lights, 17" rims, rear spoiler, and the curtain and side airbags that help it achieve it's amazing crash safety rating! Not a bad bargain for a couple of thousand more (just wish the stereo played MP3's)

If you live anywhere near Toronto, I'd consider the extra airbags as manditory not optional. You should see how unsafe the drivers are around here!

But back to Topic. If I'm reading this thread correctly. All a GS needs is the switches to mave cruise control? The Computer is already programmed and all the other bits are already there?

was98strat said:
But do keep in mind that the GT gives you the moonroof, fog lights, 17" rims, rear spoiler, and the curtain and side airbags that help it achieve it's amazing crash safety rating! Not a bad bargain for a couple of thousand more (just wish the stereo played MP3's)

If you live anywhere near Toronto, I'd consider the extra airbags as manditory not optional. You should see how unsafe the drivers are around here!

But back to Topic. If I'm reading this thread correctly. All a GS needs is the switches to mave cruise control? The Computer is already programmed and all the other bits are already there?

You got it !!! As simple as that, an experienced mechanic can have it in , in a half hour or less.
Lights are all in the dash already and function.

Now a days our cars are fly by wire so to add cruise your just playing with computer... all 5s also only have on wiring harness so we just adding switches to existing harness and presto instant cruise.

gs vs gt

Ya, I'm aware of all the other options on the GT, but I only wanted the cruise. The other options are nice, but I don't need them. My last 2 cars had sunroofs that I never used. Uuuh, amazing crash safety rating?? The Toyota Sienna still has a better rating thus it's cheaper ins premium even though it is much more $. It's $2800 plus 14% tax and interest on the financing, so $3500 or so just so I get cruise?? No way. I don't understand why the US GS comes with cruise, but the Cdn doesn't??

Last edited:
tr6canuck said:
Ya, I'm aware of all the other options on the GT, but I only wanted the cruise. The other options are nice, but I don't need them. My last 2 cars had sunroofs that I never used. Uuuh, amazing crash safety rating?? The Toyota Sienna still has a better rating thus it's cheaper ins premium even though it is much more $. It's $2800 plus 14% tax and interest on the financing, so $3500 or so just so I get cruise?? No way. I don't understand why the US GS comes with cruise, but the Cdn doesn't??

Yes amazing safety rating. The Mazda 5 topped the crash ratings in it's segment in both the euro and Jap tests, which if you read the specs are much more stringent than North american tests. I guess it's all about what you're looking for. For me the cruise was almost as important as the side and curtain airbags, but the extra safety made the GS not even an option (I have 2 year old and 1 on the way!)

Cruise for Mazda 3 GS 2006

I too got it installed in Ottawa... 1 hour, and about $350 did it for the original Mazda stock cruise control to be installed on my steering wheel. Don't go for the aftermarket cruises... completely pointless to pay more for an inferior product.

tr6canuck said:
Cool!

giannirico said:
I too got it installed in Ottawa... 1 hour, and about $350 did it for the original Mazda stock cruise control to be installed on my steering wheel. Don't go for the aftermarket cruises... completely pointless to pay more for an inferior product.
Congrats buddy hope you like the mod to your 3......(ughdance)

cruise

I just bought an 06 mazda 5 with all of the options but no cruise. I read the threads and figured it would be an affordable fix. However, I've checked 3 different dealers, they all tell me that it's not possible, but one did say that they could install the module for C$709, and the switch C$179, plus labour. Does anyone know where the parts referred to above can be found?

I see some people have had success with the 2006 Mazda 5 GS model but

Has anyone got cruise to work on a 2007 Mazda 5 GS canadian model ? (only has stereo controls on steering wheel)

Brake switch has 4 wires going to it

Are these the 2007 required parts ?
Brake switch - BN7N66490
Steering Wheel switches - BS3E664M0

Also, can someone verify if this diagnostic works to show all lights on the instrument cluster ? (ie. check for CRUISE MAIN and CRUISE lights) - before installing cruise switches on steering wheel

1. Press and hold the odometer/tripmeter switch, and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. Continue holding the odometer/tripmeter switch for approx. 5 sec (test is displayed on LCD.)
3. Release the odometer/tripmeter switch within 3 sec after test is displayed.

if the odometer/tripmeter indicates check code 01
press the odometer/tripmeter switch until you see 26
see if all dash lights turn on, do you see CRUISE MAIN and CRUISE ?

Last edited:
Back