Crapy Foglights......

MonsterB

:
Protege5
O.K., drove up to the mountains this weekend and when I got home and went to wash the 8362 bugs off my ride, I noticed my driverside fog light lens is pretty much shattered.....the light still works, but basically I am wondering if you guys think the stock fogs are crap......should I replace it or go with something else?...I did a search and didnt really come up with too much....would PIAA's look stupid mounted in the stock hole? I dont want to spend money on another stock light if they are just crappy and are going to keep breaking.....had fogs on my legacy gt for 7 years and never broke one, but they did have a plastic grill over them.....anyone want to sell just one, or even just the glass?(drinks)

Never had a problem with my foglights in the 3 years so far.

The PIAA 40 series lights look great in the stock location BTW.

you may want to get that yellow 3m film in the future, its supposed to protect the fog lights, they probably make it in clear also

Vulcanon said:
you may want to get that yellow 3m film in the future, its supposed to protect the fog lights, they probably make it in clear also
ok I will try that.....I have already gone through two windshields and a fog light in 5 months....boston roads suck

never had a problem with them on the mp3. And they held up just fine in our bad winters.

That being said, you aren't the only one to loose a lens.

Good luck. The PIAA's do fit, but are a little bigger...just slightly.

Newf said:
never had a problem with them on the mp3. And they held up just fine in our bad winters.

That being said, you aren't the only one to loose a lens.

Good luck. The PIAA's do fit, but are a little bigger...just slightly.

I know this is an old thread, but an MP5 I am planning to buy had the same problem. My local Mazda dealership said that it's about $168 US to replace, and something like $180 US in labor(shocked).

Is it possible to replace the lens by itself, or do you have to replace the entire unit? Either way, how easy is it to replace a fog lamp?

Thanks ahead of time.

hyouriittai said:
I know this is an old thread, but an MP5 I am planning to buy had the same problem. My local Mazda dealership said that it's about $168 US to replace, and something like $180 US in labor(shocked).

Is it possible to replace the lens by itself, or do you have to replace the entire unit? Either way, how easy is it to replace a fog lamp?

Thanks ahead of time.

you have to buy the whole lamp, the lens doesn't come out. if u gonna pay $180 for them to change it u might as well bend over while ur at it. its only 1 bolt, 2 wires, and a clip holding the wires in place. u can do it in a few minutes if u drive up on ramps and use a 14mm (i think) long handled wrench with out taking any of that plastic s*** off

the lens does come out actually...but I doubt anybody will sell you a foglight lens lol

but if you buy a new foglight it's super easy to replace...just unscrew the bolt holding it in, pull out the plug, plug in the new one and screw the bolt back on and voila. I know there are some fogs on ebay right now...I think they're going for $75 each though or something? For that much you might want to think about buying aftermarket...

oh and the rockblocker film on top of the lens really helps. I had yellow on top of mine when I still had fogs (yellow fogs and HIDs...was going for the IS look) and I never had any cracks, chips, or anything. They also make smoked and slightly bluish films for the fogs fyi

The lenses were about 110.00 each at the dealer. Mine have 3 rock chips with clear silicone keeping water out until the ones I scored from the FS section come in then rockblockers going on. Good luck on your hunt. I was waiting to score 1 until they both ended up chipped. Took til now to find reasonable deal before someone else was on it. May have better luck with alternates as was stated. No decent replacement will be cheap tho.......they are bigger targets than they are crappy.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks all. I appreciate your help. I thought the same about the service charge -- it's gotta be wrong. But I checked out one of the "How-Tos" here on the forum, and it seems really easy to replace the fogs, so I'll probably check out some aftermarkets or something, and definitely consider some sort of chip protection.

I've seen some posts about aftermarket fog lights, and they say they're typically bigger. What should I expect to do in order to get those on?

hyouriittai said:
Hey, thanks all. I appreciate your help. I thought the same about the service charge -- it's gotta be wrong. But I checked out one of the "How-Tos" here on the forum, and it seems really easy to replace the fogs, so I'll probably check out some aftermarkets or something, and definitely consider some sort of chip protection.

I've seen some posts about aftermarket fog lights, and they say they're typically bigger. What should I expect to do in order to get those on?
try a junk yard. If they have one you can just swap the lens or the whole thing for that matter. Its a real easy job. Yellow Rockblockers FTW!

reynoldsrobbie said:
try a junk yard. If they have one you can just swap the lens or the whole thing for that matter. Its a real easy job. Yellow Rockblockers FTW!

Anyone actually used the rockblockers? Because I have the smoked ones on mine and they have a big burned eyedrop shape in em now. Really dark looks like s*** (literally). Stock bulbs and everything. Just be careful with the rockblockers cuz I know others have had the same issues. Furthermore the rockbloackers come in a set with headlight film also. If your thinking about putting the headlight ones on, remeber that if you don't have HID's it will drown out your lights.

I had the yellow rockblocker film on my foglights (with the stock bulbs)...I never had a problem with them for the year or two that I had them on...

I got the CATZ ones form e-bay, couldnt be happier for 100 bucks. (old ones were broken too)
IM000704.jpg

I love the Rockblocker fogs(yellow)! I had the smoked Rockblocker headlight film...WAY TOO DARK! I think it lasted a few weeks, then I stripped it pff and had them smoked one shade darker than stock.

GlowstickNinja said:
Anyone actually used the rockblockers? Because I have the smoked ones on mine and they have a big burned eyedrop shape in em now. Really dark looks like s*** (literally). Stock bulbs and everything. Just be careful with the rockblockers cuz I know others have had the same issues. Furthermore the rockbloackers come in a set with headlight film also. If your thinking about putting the headlight ones on, remeber that if you don't have HID's it will drown out your lights.
I just replied to this and forgot to mention I have HIDs and was still way dark!

get piaa round 40's about the price for one of the stock fog lights, probably brighter and throw the rockblock clear film on them.

The stock ones are bright enough to even cause glare?...........Haven't seen that. Glare for other cars maybe?

Back